Traditional COD MP is dead.

MrBiron

MWWZ-S6-MPMAPS-007.jpg
CHARLIEINTEL.COM

Activision has extensive content plans for Call of Duty: Warzone, and the free to play Battle Royale experience is here to stay.

Sounds like Activision are making an absolute shit ton of money from Warzone so they've decided that mode is what is most important now.

fart.gif

This has been on the cards for a long time sadly.  By having a new COD every year, it's saturated the traditional deathmatch-type games and these just don't make the money Activision desire even with massive unit sales. The series has failed pathetically as an eSport but Warzone is raking in the money - literally well over $1bn a quarter on just cosmetic shite alone. Insane money really. COD mobile can also generate way more than its console version counterparts even being FREE which just shows what the gaming landscape has become from a business standpoint. Why bother selling 25m copies of a game when you can sell coloured guns and make even more money without spending a penny in the process?

For me, COD has been dead since Black Ops 2 anyway so it's no big loss. I don't like the brand anymore and its filled with cancerous business practices and dickhead community members. It's barely recognisable to what it used to be. Things have actually gotten worse since supply drops which is crazy to think about. Warzone is laden with cheaters - some even notable streamers/content creators and Activision hasn't bothered about eradicating that problem until this week and even then it was a lame effort.  Post launch support for these games now is shockingly bad especially with no season passes. Even zombies players have been well and truly fucked over. Even Treyarch don't give a fuck about the community now. 

Call of Duty is well and truly dead in its traditional sense. They'll milk the battle royale until 2025 and then I'm sure that will become unbearably saturated and something else will come to fruition.  What's killed MP for me is SBMM along with fabricated factors impacting gameplay - it doesn't feel like a fair and genuine game. Old COD's had connection-based matchmaking and then lobby balancing and everything felt good. Now you can't trust anything and the sweaty mechanics just further kill the fun. There's just so many elements that have killed it for me and many veterans of the franchise. 

DICE have a big opportunity with Battlefield 6 so they'd better not fuck it up. 

3 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

This has been on the cards for a long time sadly.  By having a new COD every year, it's saturated the traditional deathmatch-type games and these just don't make the money Activision desire even with massive unit sales. The series has failed pathetically as an eSport but Warzone is raking in the money - literally well over $1bn a quarter on just cosmetic shite alone. Insane money really. COD mobile can also generate way more than its console version counterparts even being FREE which just shows what the gaming landscape has become from a business standpoint. Why bother selling 25m copies of a game when you can sell coloured guns and make even more money without spending a penny in the process?

I really don't understand why they don't just stop releasing a COD every year - well, maybe release a new campaign for £30 or whatever - and instead just keep updating a core game like Siege or Overwatch do. They should just copy bloody COD mobile at this point. I've played it and it's actually good fun: loads of weapons and modes, and they take maps from EVERY game that's been released.

fart.gif

48 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

I really don't understand why they don't just stop releasing a COD every year - well, maybe release a new campaign for £30 or whatever - and instead just keep updating a core game like Siege or Overwatch do. They should just copy bloody COD mobile at this point. I've played it and it's actually good fun: loads of weapons and modes, and they take maps from EVERY game that's been released.

COD Online which was released in China (only) years ago would have been much better than all these futuristic titles. I still can't fathom why we didn't get this. For all Activision's wealth, literally all their business ideas are either copies or are too late in the day. They probably should have canned Sledgehammer and even Treyarch and just got IW to build a single title and expanded that along with Warzone - now we have a convoluted mess between developers and shitty half-arsed annual releases. They really don't need to make a new game every year - they could easily save costs and invest that elsewhere to make even more money. They will probably come to this conclusion late in the day as usual. 

MW2019 could have been decent framework for years if it had been supported properly. Cold War was not needed whatsoever. 

14 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

COD Online which was released in China (only) years ago would have been much better than all these futuristic titles. I still can't fathom why we didn't get this. For all Activision's wealth, literally all their business ideas are either copies or are too late in the day. They probably should have canned Sledgehammer and even Treyarch and just got IW to build a single title and expanded that along with Warzone - now we have a convoluted mess between developers and shitty half-arsed annual releases. They really don't need to make a new game every year - they could easily save costs and invest that elsewhere to make even more money. They will probably come to this conclusion late in the day as usual. 

MW2019 could have been decent framework for years if it had been supported properly. Cold War was not needed whatsoever. 

Actually over time I've personally preferred treyarch games, this one snacks of sledgehammer which treyarch had to finish.

I also prefer cold war to mw19. Maybe the way forward would be to take the best parts of all.

1 hour ago, techno said:

Actually over time I've personally preferred treyarch games, this one snacks of sledgehammer which treyarch had to finish.

I also prefer cold war to mw19. Maybe the way forward would be to take the best parts of all.

I loved Treyarch up to Black Ops 2 - BO3 was decent but the lack of a campaign in 4 along with pathetic post-launch Support really annoyed me. The relationship they have with the community is also in a really bad state now and it will never likely recover.  They should've never reformed Sledgehammer - instead merged IW and Treyarch and then built a single game that could be supported for 3 years rather than a new one every year.

That boat has sailed now though and a good time to have done that would have been after WW2 - MW2019 could've been the foundation. Cold War was a step backwards in a few regards such as the animations and engine so it's a bit of a mess really. This year we'll probably get Advanced Warfare 2 and SHG will be taking over Warzone which will lead to another dead MP after xmas and calamitous Warzone changeover. 

Consoles really needed a universal game like COD Mobile or COD Online. Huge missed opportunity.

13 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Consoles really needed a universal game like COD Mobile or COD Online. Huge missed opportunity.

I actually forgot about COD online and that looked excellent. So I agree that's what they should do with the franchise. 

fart.gif

It's a sad state of affairs, that  Warzone the "Center of their attention" is a glitchy, laggy, buggy mess full of hackers. 

The OG's and the fans that built the franchise are getting left out. Without the MP over the years it wouldn't be what it is a billion dollar enterprise. With all the money they have churned you think they could support a decent MP.

It's funny people talked about a "COD Killer" for years. They are managing to do it all by themselves. Once the BR trend is over and something better is out. It will all be too late to draw the old players back. Activision truly deserve any misfortune they receive over the coming years. Would laugh if they went bust.

45% of Acti-Blizz was made through micro transactions and it was their most profitable year in over 20 years. Second, I know I have never really liked the franchise, but I don't know what people keep expecting year after year from these games- they have always been shallow games and were designed to be annual sellers.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

12 hours ago, MrBiron said:

I actually forgot about COD online and that looked excellent. So I agree that's what they should do with the franchise. 

If they did something like this then it would be a great ongoing MP alternative that would likely sit next to Warzone and they could easily apply microtransactions through this model as they already do with Mobile and Online. I just don't know why they keep making a game from scratch every year especially when they never get better and are always riddled with balancing issues. 

I tried COD Online a few years ago and it was great because you could play with MW2's weapons on Black Ops 1 maps for instance. I even got an AC-130 on Nuketown in one match! There were so many weapons in the game and you never knew what map would pop up - you could play on a WAW map one minute, COD 4 the next and then a MW3 one. If Activision commissioned a game called 'The Call of Duty' or something and made available 50 maps and 500 weapons from all the big games and just let people get on with it, it would be a huge success and players would remain engaged rather than departing or having to play the old games as a standalone and then not spending money. Something like this could be good for 3+ years and as you said above, it could run like Siege and Overwatch.  

Many players are flocking third party clients on PC like IW4X for COD4 and MW2 along with Plutonium MW3 and BO2 which look great fun. Not only are those heavily supported by the creators but they also have a solid anti-cheat and content that even improves the old games such as custom maps.

11 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

If Activision commissioned a game called 'The Call of Duty' or something and made available 50 maps and 500 weapons from all the big games and just let people get on with it, it would be a huge success and players would remain engaged rather than departing or having to play the old games as a standalone and then not spending money. Something like this could be good for 3+ years and as you said above, it could run like Siege and Overwatch.  

I'd certainly play it. If it was F2P then I'd probably buy some MTX's which is something I absolutely refuse to do in current CODs as I'm not paying £50-60 for the game and then buying other shit as well.

fart.gif

55 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

I'd certainly play it. If it was F2P then I'd probably buy some MTX's which is something I absolutely refuse to do in current CODs as I'm not paying £50-60 for the game and then buying other shit as well.

I really don't understand why people are willing to buy cosmetic bullshit for real money, especially when they paid full price for a game. I mean skins in an fps 😂

47 minutes ago, techno said:

I really don't understand why people are willing to buy cosmetic bullshit for real money, especially when they paid full price for a game. I mean skins in an fps 😂

Not only that, ones that do it in the multiplayer which becomes obsolete in a year! Same with FIFA - users spend insane money only to buy the same game the following year and go back to square one. I remember that guy that spent $2000 on an empty tiered battle pass in Black Ops 4🤣

At least on the likes of CSGO you can sell your skins to other dimwits and make money. With COD, you're spending crazy money on coloured pixels and that's it. Sad that this is the culture we live in now and it's just crazy how much publishers can make from it which kills off incentives in making a good game. 

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Not only that, ones that do it in the multiplayer which becomes obsolete in a year! 

That's another reason why I won't buy anything on COD. I've spent money on Siege is it's the same base game that they keep updating. 

fart.gif

On 2/9/2021 at 2:05 AM, techno said:

Isnt that how fortnite makes money and set a bunch or records.

15 minutes ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Fortnite is free and the skins in that game are very impressively done especially the licenced ones. Call of Duty on the other hand paints a gun a few colours and tweaks the back-end statistics and then wants users to pay £30+ just for one. Fornite is also an ongoing game whereas COD becomes obsolete each year so spending £1000+ on cosmetics for a year only to do it again on the next game doesn't really provide value. 

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Fortnite is free and the skins in that game are very impressively done especially the licenced ones. Call of Duty on the other hand paints a gun a few colours and tweaks the back-end statistics and then wants users to pay £30+ just for one. Fornite is also an ongoing game whereas COD becomes obsolete each year so spending £1000+ on cosmetics for a year only to do it again on the next game doesn't really provide value. 

Warzone is a free game. the skins have also carried over. I think I spent $10 on the season pass, after that it was all free. Warzone has carried over and still going pretty strong. So I don't agree. 

Activision is also smashing revenue records so a lot of people must be buying to shitty skins for Warzone given that Cold war was pretty lukewarm 

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Warzone is a free game. the skins have also carried over. I think I spent $10 on the season pass, after that it was all free. Warzone has carried over and still going pretty strong. So I don't agree. 

This thread is talking about traditional multiplayer and not Battle Royale. 

Everyone and their mother knows that Activison print money from Warzone but this thread is about the impact this has had on the core multiplayer.

4 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Fortnite was free and is 3rd person so skins like camos sort of make some sense, but yeah I still think it's somewhat a waste of money unless you feel your helping a game you enjoy to continue, a forum run or your particular favourite only fans 😉

I see quite a few people on Cold War MP with store items. Money is still getting spent. But compared to MW and BO4 it's nowhere near the same numbers. They fairly milked BO4 with the lottery type loot boxes and pay to win weapons.

Personally myself I don't spend real life money on the store. As James said a yearly cycle. Got better things to spend money on. I buy the game and grind whatever is available for free.

Well now, time to necro an older post.

A bunch of us went on CoD: Modern Warfare (2019) last night and I must say I really enjoyed it. Mixed up TDM, Hardpoint and other game modes in MP. 

I'm going to keep it installed and maybe we do another night if anyone else is interested?

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

19 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Well now, time to necro an older post.

A bunch of us went on CoD: Modern Warfare (2019) last night and I must say I really enjoyed it. Mixed up TDM, Hardpoint and other game modes in MP. 

I'm going to keep it installed and maybe we do another night if anyone else is interested?

100%. After the ridiculous install system that kept me off the game for 2 hours last night, when we all played together ( @LordBaguette  @slamminbones  @J-Lurch  too) it was pretty solid. Kind of missed it if i'm honest! I think when we only got trounced when we didn't know the map at all and came up against longstanding players knowing exactly what to do and what to use. All the gamemodes seemed pretty decent too. Hardpoint was the one that people struggled with but even then, we got over 100 points when eventually worked out the map and where the next point was.

Defo will put some more events up for this. Just need to find the right times to play it. Like Destiny, I think the game holds its value when you don't play it solidly everyday, for the rest of your life 😅

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Anyone who heard me last night must of thought I hated cod but it was great to play as a party instead by my self.

Not a fan of core as I find it slower paced than hardcore but definitely up for another night again.

slamminbones.png