Valheim

phil bottle

Picked it up on Steam yesterday. It's getting rave reviews despite being early access. Viking survival game with up to 10 person coop.

I popped in to set up the graphics and I'll have a session at some point this weekend.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1612542671
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

A brutal exploration and survival game for 1-10 players, set in a procedurally-generated purgatory inspired by viking...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I caved. Cos its Vikings 😄

I must say the first play yesterday was really good fun with @phil bottle and @tronic44. It has much more of a chilled survival game vibe than other ones. Graphics are strangely pleasing - mainly because some parts have a slight Minecraft feel (don't be put off MC haters!) but in others there's some truly amazing views. Just looking up at the sky is incredible.

Building wise, the snapping takes a little time to get used to but as soon as you work out the Hammer is used to craft and build stuff you can make things so quickly.

The combat feels fairly simplistic but I think it could become a little deeper as you go further into the game. I don't think its the game's main focus if i'm honest so i'm not too bothered about it.

The map looks huge!! Lots to explore and discover. Theres also random Rune Stones stuck in the ground to read that gives you extra hints and tips along the way. Nice little touch.

What else? It has exploration via the Seas! We didn't try it yet but the thought of building our own boat and exploring the map is definitely something I can't wait for!

All in all, a great initial start and definitely has legs in it for 15 squids. Lets hope more things to craft as we get into it more. Some streamers are also raving about this a lot too over recent days.

6 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I caved. Cos its Vikings 😄

I must say the first play yesterday was really good fun with @phil bottle and @tronic44. It has much more of a chilled survival game vibe than other ones. Graphics are strangely pleasing - mainly because some parts have a slight Minecraft feel (don't be put off MC haters!) but in others there's some truly amazing views. Just looking up at the sky is incredible.

Building wise, the snapping takes a little time to get used to but as soon as you work out the Hammer is used to craft and build stuff you can make things so quickly.

The combat feels fairly simplistic but I think it could become a little deeper as you go further into the game. I don't think its the game's main focus if i'm honest so i'm not too bothered about it.

The map looks huge!! Lots to explore and discover. Theres also random Rune Stones stuck in the ground to read that gives you extra hints and tips along the way. Nice little touch.

What else? It has exploration via the Seas! We didn't try it yet but the thought of building our own boat and exploring the map is definitely something I can't wait for!

All in all, a great initial start and definitely has legs in it for 15 squids. Lets hope more things to craft as we get into it more. Some streamers are also raving about this a lot too over recent days.

Is it more forgiving than Darkness Falls?

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Just now, Plumbers Crack said:

Is it more forgiving than Darkness Falls?

On a completely different scale Dave so 1 million percent yes.

Thats doesn't mean Darkness Falls 7 Days mod isn't good but it gives you a different mindset which I enjoyed.

55 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

It's a lovely game and I'm looking forward to playing more. Particularly getting in a ship and going to do what Vikings do😁

Raping and pillaging? Hope it’s a PEGI 18

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I'm teetering over the fence to buy this and play around.

For those who have played it, are the characters only male based? Or, can I rock a crazy viking woman? (Things I never cared about until I played Mass Effect lol)

Viking women were kickass.

7 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

I'm teetering over the fence to buy this and play around.

For those who have played it, are the characters only male based? Or, can I rock a crazy viking woman? (Things I never cared about until I played Mass Effect lol)

Viking women were kickass.

Pretty sure there was a Male/Femal option at the start.

From what @phil bottle said is that even better is your character's skills and build, etc can remain the same across multiple saves and other people's worlds. This is an absolute godsend for me as sometimes you want to play a new world without all the grind of leveling up stuff. Great addition.

7 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Pretty sure there was a Male/Femal option at the start.

From what @phil bottle said is that even better is your character's skills and build, etc can remain the same across multiple saves and other people's worlds. This is an absolute godsend for me as sometimes you want to play a new world without all the grind of leveling up stuff. Great addition.

Fabulous!

Once I get Turbo's computer sorted, we will probably play together at least. And hopefully with the FG crew. 

I have a knack for getting myself in trouble in these types of games due to my curiosity. Always getting scolding for poking something I should have left alone lol. 

I think im going to pick this up as well just to add another addition to my steam montage at the minute need more pc games to play with more people with my crazy hours right now so let me know if anyone wants to play im on Lee's friends list on steam if yall want to add me

I'm not a huge fan of survival games especially those that are in early access and didn't really understand what was so appealing about this one either looking at it, however I picked it up a few days ago as a punt and I have to say it is absolutely exceptional! Only played about 10 hours so far solo but everything in this game is on another level from the general mechanics to the fantastic crafting system. The building is really well implemented albeit a bit finicky on uneven land but the world is so intriguing and beautiful. Every aspect of this game so far feels spot-on and the potential is crazy - you really get the sense the developer knows exactly what they are doing and how to do it which is rare for this type of game. I hear the co-op also works really well and is tremendous fun!

It's just a pleasant game to play that keeps on surprising with some great attention to detail and progression aspects tied to the crafting. I think this will be the best survival game of its kind if it isn't already and I've experienced zero bugs or issues so far. It feels so polished and really puts other games in this tarnished genre to shame. 

5538920DE0FBAC259FB86920A9BCFFE7D0E86BA2

That's actually really impressive for a game that litterally came out of nowhere like that. Yes the genere is definitely overwhelmed with crap just like other genres but when you actually find a diamond in the rough it feels so good I am gonna go home and download this today 😊

I got about an hour half in to be attacked by bees trying to build my first crap hut. Got a little valley im gonna build a nice house on but definitely need more time in game to get it where I want it. Vision is there but execution is far from 🤣 I want see what the co op is like because right now I'm still running around with the bare rags you get to wear so going out at night is like going outside right now butt ass naked and jumping in some snow🤣 I wish I wasn't working these hours or I'd be on with all of you.

First base was made with the help of @GazzaGarrattbut then didn't play for a few days.

Played a bit yesterday.

Logged in alone and went deer hunting, but wandered a little too far, something I realised when I giant troll materialised from behind a ridge. One hit and I was down to 3 health but I managed to fall down a ravine and he forgot about me. Lucky.

@Plumbers Crack logged in for an hour or so and we gathered resources together without mishap.

When I went back on later i was joined by @tronic44for a couple of hours.

We made a second base by the shoreline and had our first raft on the sea. Very difficult to navigate. Can't wait till we can build something better.

Have leather clothes now and fire arrows, but will do more prep before taking on the first boss.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg