SPOILERS WandaVision Spoiler Discussion

LordBaguette

21 minutes ago, Macca89 said:

Does this support our theories that he could be MCU's Stryker or maybe even Ultron???? Does fit the bill tbf

I dont think he is Ultron, but I am starting to now support the theory that he is trying to bring back Ultron to be used as a weapon (although this will obviously blow up in his face)

cba

So episode 7 time baby

First point: in case you missed it, make sure you watch the credits for a bit, theres a small mid credits scene.

So it was a good reveal at the end, even though it was obviously coming. I thought it was a bit jarring though, just like suddenly revealed she's behind everything in such a short space of time. Showing that dungeon basement and her being a witch really now fully opens up the MCU to go crazy off the rails now. Also, I do love her ridiculously over the top laugh.

I think shes using the kids powers shes made Wanda create to resurrect Mephisto or Nightmare. The book she had in there looks very similar to the books in Dr Strange. I guess it will link in to him getting involved and Dr Strange 2.

The in-episode trailer talked about the 'Nexus' which i hadn't heard before. A quick google says: The Nexus is a cross-dimensional gateway which provides a pathway to any and all possible realities, this includes realities between realities. It is unknown whether it was created by some being or just if it's the one place in the entire multiverse where all realities naturally intersect. Makes perfect sense that under her house is where this gateway is, and how she knew what Pietro looked like in the alternate realities. I would also think that maybe this opened after the snap and / or The Avengers messing with time. If you remember Baron Mordo saying 'The bill comes due' after Dr Strange messed with time. This may be the consequences of it that he mentioned:

Side note: the reveal of the 'astrophysicist' hahaha what a joke. I feel like quite a lot of people will be annoyed by the anticlimax that it wasn't anyone. But hey at least Monica got her powers. Albeit its a pretty terrible origins story. I hope it is fleshed out more than 'Hex changes her body' as that is quite underwhelming

There is supposedly at least 2 and half hours left in the next 2 episodes. I would assume now that it'll be another 30 minute episode, then maybe a feature length episode last? Time will tell. For me I think the next episode will be 30 mins of Wanda vs Photon and Vision as it looks like she had her mind start to be controlled by Agatha at the end of the episode, she will break free of that then it will be everyone vs Mephisto / Agatha for a feature long episode. We may even get an 'Avengers style' episode where it is Wanda, Vision, Photon and kids (but aged up to teens) vs Mephisto and / or Nightmare.

Baguette out.

cba

Not read any of the posts above as I'm only on episode 4. But was starting to wonder if I should read up on the lore before I go any further...except I googled Wanda and fuck me, that's a complicated back story going on, I have no chance🙃

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Not read any of the posts above as I'm only on episode 4. But was starting to wonder if I should read up on the lore before I go any further...except I googled Wanda and fuck me, that's a complicated back story going on, I have no chance🙃

it will be revealed fully to casual watchers, I wouldnt worry about reading anything 

cba

Nah @phil bottle, you should be good as I know nowhere near what Tom does but its been a good to understand stuff as we go through. I think it starts to get better from Episode 5 anyway where you get to understand some of the stuff that they're trying to explain.

@LordBaguette  I had to Google about the witch Agatha Hackness as I had no clue who she was. Does she play a big role in the comics at all?

I agree about Photon's sudden entrance but this is the thing about small episodes in a series, they don't have much time to introduce her powers. Annoyingly we'll probably get an Origin story which I'm not a fan of.

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Nah @phil bottle, you should be good as I know nowhere near what Tom does but its been a good to understand stuff as we go through. I think it starts to get better from Episode 5 anyway where you get to understand some of the stuff that they're trying to explain.

@LordBaguette  I had to Google about the witch Agatha Hackness as I had no clue who she was. Does she play a big role in the comics at all?

I agree about Photon's sudden entrance but this is the thing about small episodes in a series, they don't have much time to introduce her powers. Annoyingly we'll probably get an Origin story which I'm not a fan of.

She plays a big part in the House of M story, only bits and bobs outside of that

cba

EPISODE 8 SPOILERS BELOW

-

Again there is a mid credits scene if you missed it

So a big flashback episode. As 'exposition' episodes go I thought it was very well done. I think the small retcon of her backstory fit perfectly in the MCU. I am glad they are keeping it much more about Wanda instead of bringing all these outside big heros / villains and filling it with loads of action (although we will definitely get loads next week). They are keeping it a Wanda focussed story about her grief which I think really helps the storytelling, and really makes you care more for the characters. Her acting in this episode is her best so far. I can see why it would annoy people that the story hasn't really moved forward for 2 episodes much, but we did need this to really bring it full circle and give a huge amount of context to what is going on. Also I think Katherine Hahn is amazing, I can see her becoming a fan favourite and sticking around the MCU for a while, much like Loki. She is 47 years old by the way, how is that possible? The first scene showing her surrounded by the other witches was cool, and I don't think they would have shown it if it doesnt play into the story somewhat either in the next episode or a future film. I think it also shows er magic is purple so would assume she uses it from the dark dimension, similar to Kaecilius in Dr Strange and Dormammus energy blasts. This would also explain her unnatural long life.

In terms of big episode points. For the most part we knew it was coming, the big confirmation though is that they name dropped chaos magic, as well as showing that she had the innate power all along. She is now the first MCU mutant shown on screen. I am not sure how they will explain how Quicksilver got his powers, as the episode basically suggested everyone else who came into contact with the mind stone died. Maybe Wanda protected him somewhat when it was his turn for the experiments. I assume he also had the powers before the mind stone, it's just the mind stone basically unlocked it similar to Wanda.

The chaos magic name drop is huge, as you can pretty much do anything with it. Agatha also said 'You're a Scarlett Witch' the first time she has actually been called that in the MCU, and also confirming there are multiple versions (she said 'A' not 'The' Scarlett Witch). She is a Nexus being so will exist in multiple realities as the same character.

In terms of the theories so far, I am going to partially backtrack. I do not think that Mephisto or Nightmare will show up in the final episode now. If they do, it will be an after credits scene reference to them. Also there is a huge issue with Mephisto in that hes basically the Devil. In China, they cannot show depictions of the Devil on mainstream television or anywhere really culturally its a big no no. So I don't think we will ever get Mephisto which is sad but Disney have to appease China for purely financial reasons.

I think the same will be true of Dr Strange in the sense he won't show up unless post credits. I think the episode will focus entirely around Agatha / Haywood vs Vision / Scarlett Witch / Photon. There are a couple of dangling plot points though.

As for the mid credits scene. I am so so so hoping that Haywoods white Vision has Ultrons voice. As soon as the scene started I thought he would speak at the end at it would cut to credits. Unfortunately it cut before he spoke but I do think it could be Ultron inside Visions old body. I really don't know how this will play into the final battle though. It also looks like he has a mini arc reactor in the space where the mind stone was. Then the other point is the rabbit and the 'missing persons' case they kept mentioning. I am struggling to think who it could be at this point. Perhaps Agatha put a spell on Dr Strange and its him trapped? Maybe could explain why he hasn't intervened yet. Time will tell but I am hoping for an extremely satisfying ending.

Peace

cba

Superb write up Tom @LordBaguette . It was the best episode by far. Shame we only have one episode left though to expand on what we found out in the last one.

Couple of thoughts.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:32 PM, LordBaguette said:

The chaos magic name drop is huge, as you can pretty much do anything with it. Agatha also said 'You're a Scarlett Witch' the first time she has actually been called that in the MCU, and also confirming there are multiple versions (she said 'A' not 'The' Scarlett Witch). She is a Nexus being so will exist in multiple realities as the same character.

Weirdly, I missed this reference so any non-Marvel experienced reader is going to miss this for what it is. I love the episode more now that you told me this which makes me feel they could've had a 30 second clip to show what Chaos Magic truly is.

I do not think that Mephisto or Nightmare will show up in the final episode now. If they do, it will be an after credits scene reference to them. Also there is a huge issue with Mephisto in that hes basically the Devil. In China, they cannot show depictions of the Devil on mainstream television or anywhere really culturally its a big no no. So I don't think we will ever get Mephisto which is sad but Disney have to appease China for purely financial reasons.

Thats really disappointing to hear if true. What happened with Thor 3 then when they shown a demonic god in that?

I do think it could be Ultron inside Visions old body.

I didn't realise how much Ultron is so prominent in the comics. At the end of Age of Ultron I feel that went so far as to close his chapter within one film. I feel like if he is to be reincarnated then an evil film seeing him succeed would only bring him to the front more - although i'm a sucker for orginal, happy endings so it would be hard for me watch!

I would absoleutely expect in the end credits to see something connected to the next Marvel series that is set to release. Its what they do. What is supposed to be next? Maybe we get 2 post credit endings - one for Wanda and their plotlines, one for the next upcoming series.

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Superb write up Tom @LordBaguette . It was the best episode by far. Shame we only have one episode left though to expand on what we found out in the last one.

Couple of thoughts.

Weirdly, I missed this reference so any non-Marvel experienced reader is going to miss this for what it is. I love the episode more now that you told me this which makes me feel they could've had a 30 second clip to show what Chaos Magic truly is.

Thats really disappointing to hear if true. What happened with Thor 3 then when they shown a demonic god in that?

I didn't realise how much Ultron is so prominent in the comics. At the end of Age of Ultron I feel that went so far as to close his chapter within one film. I feel like if he is to be reincarnated then an evil film seeing him succeed would only bring him to the front more - although i'm a sucker for orginal, happy endings so it would be hard for me watch!

I would absoleutely expect in the end credits to see something connected to the next Marvel series that is set to release. Its what they do. What is supposed to be next? Maybe we get 2 post credit endings - one for Wanda and their plotlines, one for the next upcoming series.

The chaos magic will be explored fully in Dr Strange 2 I have no doubt. Potentially her training her how to control it

I think its literally just the name 'Mephisto' that is the issue. Mephistopheles is one of the names for the devil and is where the comic name comes from. I just think there wont be any character called Mephisto. They will just go with Nightmare 

It will either be Ultron or a version of Ultron. Or they will just go with White Vision who is like just a cold calculated version of Vision himself. Theoretically the code is in him for Ultron still though so it would make sense in the MCU. He is a big villain in the comics it would be cool to see him back and done a bit more justice.

Yep Wandavision is basically the stepping off point for Dr Strange and all the multiverse stuff, Spiderverse, Xmen and who knows what else. I think yes 2 post credits, one for the villain of Dr Strange 2 potentially appearing to Agatha or talking to her. I think the other will be for Loki. I was thinking they may just throw an unrelated one in there for Falcon but considering its so close I don't know why they would do that

cba

7 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Couple of thoughts.

I think also post credits, if it doesnt show anything from Loki, will show Haywood was / is a skrull

cba

EPISODE 9 SPOILERS BELOW

-

-

-

Well the journey is over. After episode 8 I realised it wouldn't be as crazy as most originally though it would with Mephisto / Nightmare / Xmen etc etc, that is why I backtracked in the previous review and I was mostly correct, except for Ultron.

I enjoyed the episode though and it was a satisfying conclusion to Wanda story of trauma with Vision and her past. I enjoyed the fight scenes for the most part, well made and cool looking. Also the shot of her becoming the full Scarlett Witch with the outfit was amazing. Also she looks 11/10 hot in that outfit, jesus.

I think quite a few people will be disappointed there wasn't any huge cameos and things, also the part with Pietro was a huge cop-out, I am still not sure whether I like that. It seems that the X-Men may not be brought into the MCU at least using Wanda after all. This is not the worst plot point though. For me the poorest part of the episode, and for most of the series is Haywood. He has just ended up being generic bad military guy, which is completely underwhelming and just down right boring. I mean he starts shooting the kids at the end for seemingly no reason. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for most of the series to see where it was going, but now I realise it was just downright bad.

I thought Agatha was great again, although I thought her motivations were a bit odd. I mean she wants her power but also understands how dangerous it is, surely its more dangerous trying to siphon it out of Wanda? I mean she doesn't know how to control it either, but anyway she did well. I am glad she didn't die. She had a throwaway line at the end after Wanda changed her. Wanda says, 'If I need you i'll come see you' then she says 'Not if I see you first' which I think will be a nod to her returning. 

White White vs Vision, again pretty cool fight. Ended quite abruptly though, and we seemingly get the original Vision back at the end who just flys off? Kind of weird you'd think if he had his original memories he would stay and help? The ending between her and Vision I thought was well done and quite sad. 

Mid credits scene I thought was relatively boring, I mean it was obvious Monica knew the skrulls as she met them in Captain Marvel. This is just a generic set up for Captain Marvel 2. The post credits scene however I thought was very cool, and I think this is the main setup for Dr Strange 2. Her reading that book in astral form with the Dr Strange music playing was sweet. You can hear her kids voices as well, I assume she will bring them back, but by doing so has some kind of 'deal with devil' and ends up unleashing Nightmare. Also she can control her human form and astral form we haven't even see Strange do that, he's always passed out or asleep when in astral form.

All in all I thought the series was very good, probably overhyped by people going way too far with their theories and what they expected to happen. It ended up being a much more grounded story about Wanda's past trauma and her dealing with it through creating the hex. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I watched it all in one go though. If it was all released in one go, people wouldn't scrutinise every single part of every episode for a week afterwards. Instead they'd watch it all in one go and enjoy it for what it was, not what it wasn't, which I was guilty of to begin with as well.

Regarding Pietro. I think him being revealed as a nobody is actuals Marvels way of showing people, look we cast him, made him a nobody, to show people that the Fox X-Men universe is dead, and they won't be using any characters from it. Casting Evan Peters means casting the rest which they won't do. Marvel will reboot X-Men fully and properly and build it up just like they did with The Avengers. I doubt we will see any of them for 5-6 years.

I think a lot of the Nightmare/Mephisto stuff will happen, just not until Dr Strange 2. As a standalone show I thought it was great, I am glad they didn't overstuff it with cameos and things. What lets it down slightly is the Pietro mislead and also Haywood. I would give it a 10/10 if i wasn't for that, but my overall would be a 9/10.

cba

Great ending to a TV Series for me. Nicely done and not too over the top. Yes, lots of open ends in a way but WandaVision was always going to fall foul of being the first big thing into Marvel Phase Four so it ad to create some different paths and unanswered questions.

5 hours ago, LordBaguette said:

All in all I thought the series was very good, probably overhyped by people going way too far with their theories and what they expected to happen.

I can easily see people doing that because people have come off Endgame going into this and reality was likely to always be never anywhere near as grand as that. Looking into your theories, whilst most will likely come true in the future, I think they like to keep those big reveals for the big films.

I enjoyed the ending between Wanda and Vision - that was a AAA film ending. Acting was terrific.

Agree with your disappointments Tom. But then again, I think its because we hyped up the first Phase 4 Marvel series. Especially when the episodes are only 30 minutes long with exception from the last episode. Not sure how people will feel about White Vision. Was there more than one Vision in the comics?

Agatha is very underrated and her parts I really enjoyed. As you say, she isn't really 'finished' because of what she said...although what i can't figure out is that she kept her under control in the Hex but she destoyed the Hex...so how is she now under control still? She can't be. Definitely gonna be in Dr. Strange 2.

The post episode credits were okay. You helped me get more excited about what they show as to others I'm not sure they'd say much to standard Joe off the street.

I'd give it a 7.5. Last 2 episodes saved it. A very unique series that was nice to see a change up in action, etc, but was so out there and different, I can totally understand why some people may feel they couldn't keep up with what was going on.

My only other lasting thought was that I have seen some Netflix series done fantastically well, arguably better than this on much lower budgets with longer episodes. Disney's approach is obviously targeting to change the way that we digest TV and films again, so they're naturally coming up against some tension on that side of things but with the budget they had on this you mentioned to me online last night ($25m per episode?) its a shame most of it probably went on the Actor wages!! She played it bloody well though!!

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Great ending to a TV Series for me. Nicely done and not too over the top. Yes, lots of open ends in a way but WandaVision was always going to fall foul of being the first big thing into Marvel Phase Four so it ad to create some different paths and unanswered questions.

I can easily see people doing that because people have come off Endgame going into this and reality was likely to always be never anywhere near as grand as that. Looking into your theories, whilst most will likely come true in the future, I think they like to keep those big reveals for the big films.

I enjoyed the ending between Wanda and Vision - that was a AAA film ending. Acting was terrific.

Agree with your disappointments Tom. But then again, I think its because we hyped up the first Phase 4 Marvel series. Especially when the episodes are only 30 minutes long with exception from the last episode. Not sure how people will feel about White Vision. Was there more than one Vision in the comics?

Agatha is very underrated and her parts I really enjoyed. As you say, she isn't really 'finished' because of what she said...although what i can't figure out is that she kept her under control in the Hex but she destoyed the Hex...so how is she now under control still? She can't be. Definitely gonna be in Dr. Strange 2.

The post episode credits were okay. You helped me get more excited about what they show as to others I'm not sure they'd say much to standard Joe off the street.

I'd give it a 7.5. Last 2 episodes saved it. A very unique series that was nice to see a change up in action, etc, but was so out there and different, I can totally understand why some people may feel they couldn't keep up with what was going on.

My only other lasting thought was that I have seen some Netflix series done fantastically well, arguably better than this on much lower budgets with longer episodes. Disney's approach is obviously targeting to change the way that we digest TV and films again, so they're naturally coming up against some tension on that side of things but with the budget they had on this you mentioned to me online last night ($25m per episode?) its a shame most of it probably went on the Actor wages!! She played it bloody well though!!

Yea I think people expect everything to be as good as Endgame, Infinity War etc now, which it wont be

I just hate Haywood especially at the end, he was very badly written. It is a good thing Agatha was so good because he was polar opposite awful

White Vision is part of the West Coast Avengers and is basically a colder more calculated version of Vision. I like they take parts / homages from comics for bits like this

cba

This was a fun article to read about special effects.

SWC1460_108_comp_v011_20210114_r709.1077
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Behind the scenes on the series’ digital effects work

Why I enjoy Marvel stuff they create is how they interlink so many things across multiple films and series. This little nugget connecting Ant-Man to WandaVision is the best by far!