Goldeneye XBL/Switch

J4MES OX4D

Am I the only one here quite disappointed on the basis it is just looking like a Port in 4k? I'm totally with @J4MES OX4D  here that outside the nostalgia of playing it a few hours, I can't ever see the appeal in it at all. If you wanted that feeling, then I understand playing it on an original N64. It looks like it hasn't aged well and the 4k sharpness of the graphics makes me feel slightly on edge if I tried to play it too.

19 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Hopefully we'll see a PC port in the future. 

If it was just a port, this is all it needed to be for about £2.50. I'm sure many people asking for its return were hoping for much more like a Remastered version? I'm glad I never had the hype of this game at the time as I don't feel sad about the release of this.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Seems to be a very convoluted situation 

goldeneye007-1663161293548.jpg?width=128
WWW.IGN.COM

Two different versions of GoldenEye are being released on two different consoles, but neither are the recently leaked remaster. It’s a weirdly convoluted situation.

Basically the Xbox version gets 4K, Local MP, 60fps plus achivements and the Switch gets online multiplayer but a far weaker experience in regards to framerate and resolution as expected. The absolute killer for both versions is that NEITHER are the remaster that was leaked last year on PC which was an excellent ground-up reworking plus like with Halo and it's MCC versions, you could switch to the old appearance in the press of one button. 

So basically both devices get the old N64 port with varying quality and MP features but nobody gets what was finished back in 2008 which was the Xbox Live Arcade version made to the same standard of the outstanding Perfect Dark remastering. Seems everyone is gonna get the short straw with this but at least Rare Replay owners will get it for free. 

It's such a travesty the unreleased version from 2008 will never legitimately see the light of day and those money men clowns who own the IP's don't know the opportunity that they've let walk by. 

• J4MES OX4D changed the title to Goldeneye XBL/Switch

Rare replay is currently just £4.99 down from £19.99 saving £15. It includes the likes of the Perfect Dark titles and Banjo Kazooie. However, if you own this you get GoldenEye for free when it releases which is a great deal

WWW.XBOX.COM

Celebrate Rare’s 30th Anniversary with a jaw-dropping collection of 30 iconic games, lovingly presented for Xbox One. Tackle snapshot challenges and enjoy exclusive bonus features.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less I want to to play this on a new console. But if its on Gamepass I probably won't resist. Particularly if there's a keyboard and mouse option.

I don't know if people actually know (or remember) how hard this game actually was in certain parts so I'll be interested to see how it plays on an Xbox controller. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

14 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I don't know if people actually know (or remember) how hard this game actually was in certain parts so I'll be interested to see how it plays on an Xbox controller. 

Control 007 Agent - Fuck that! Jungle wasn't easy either. When I played the leaked unreleased XBLA build with an Xbox controller, it felt good and authentic to what it was like with a 64 pad back in the day. I've played Perfect Dark with a mouse and keyboard and it just makes things a bit too easy so I'd definitely retain playing Goldeneye with a pad. 

Just now, J4MES OX4D said:

Control 007 Agent - Fuck that! Jungle wasn't easy either. When I played the leaked unreleased XBLA build with an Xbox controller, it felt good and authentic to what it was like with a 64 pad back in the day. I've played Perfect Dark with a mouse and keyboard and it just makes things a bit too easy so I'd definitely retain playing Goldeneye with a pad. 

Nice one! Good to know it's playable.

It wasn't appearing anywhere on Xbox yesterday but I'll check in a bit to see if it's available for download.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Switch version seems worse than the Xbox one - doesn't appear they even updated the UI or anything in that whereas the Xbox has some refinements in that area

Xbox has the controller on the interface screen

hands-on-our-first-impressions-of-golden

Switch however still shows the N64 pad and offers no customisation. 

2023012715583600_s.jpg

Yeah I had a quick go on it, it's a pretty decent experience on the Xbox, aim assist is op but runs smoothly and doesn't leave a sour taste. Doubtful I'll get around to playing it again though.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Interesting info about how the ports were done and how they differ. 

It really is a travesty that the original XBLA version wasn't resurrected and used especially for the Xbox version as that was a gamechanger. I've still got that on my PC because it'll get lost in history otherwise. 

I'm glad its now been released for the ones that grew up with this. I didn't and don't have a desire to get it unfortunately. I think i'd rather plug in the N64 and get a few of you around to help me understand how to play it on that rather than on PC/Xbox.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

6 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm glad its now been released for the ones that grew up with this. I didn't and don't have a desire to get it unfortunately. I think i'd rather plug in the N64 and get a few of you around to help me understand how to play it on that rather than on PC/Xbox.

I remember when the N64 and Goldeneye released. 

One on my friends older brother had it. 

His room was cool and had sweet lighting with different coloured LEDs. He had some DVDs neatly displayed. 

DVDs were new at this time also. 

We got to watch and play a little bit. 

The 4 of us were blown away by the gameplay and graphics. 

It felt like a special privilege. 

We were probably about 10 and had only had mega drives, PS1, Snes, Nintendo and gameboys. 

It was a different experience. 

A year or 2 down the line, another friend had it. 

We binged on it for hours on 4 player splitscreen. 

Times of magic and folklore. 

The absolute joy. 

The only thing that came close to the magic was halo 1 and 2.

Playing 4 player of that round at mine with friends over. 

I managed to get a 3rd and 4th pad. 

More joy and fun and rolling fat joints and getting stoned hotboxing my room. 

Such simple fun times and laughs. 

On 1/30/2023 at 4:33 PM, IRaMPaGe said:

I remember when the N64 and Goldeneye released. 

One on my friends older brother had it. 

His room was cool and had sweet lighting with different coloured LEDs. He had some DVDs neatly displayed. 

DVDs were new at this time also. 

We got to watch and play a little bit. 

The 4 of us were blown away by the gameplay and graphics. 

It felt like a special privilege. 

We were probably about 10 and had only had mega drives, PS1, Snes, Nintendo and gameboys. 

It was a different experience. 

A year or 2 down the line, another friend had it. 

We binged on it for hours on 4 player splitscreen. 

Times of magic and folklore. 

The absolute joy. 

The only thing that came close to the magic was halo 1 and 2.

Playing 4 player of that round at mine with friends over. 

I managed to get a 3rd and 4th pad. 

More joy and fun and rolling fat joints and getting stoned hotboxing my room. 

Such simple fun times and laughs. 

Awesome write up, I can picture it in my head like I'm there. To be fair it's not a tough stretch of the old imagination 😄

jeffersonclasswar.jpg