PS4 VR Thoughts

Teenwolf25

I've tried VR on the PS4 playing Gran Turismo, thanks to @Greboth

It blew my mind at how much it improved the experience.

My only concern is the motion sickness and that should be an important part of any choice of system I think.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Thanks to @Greboth, my son has had something for the first time keep himself off Fortnite for more than a day! 🤣🤣

Dax got one for Christmas as we struggled on what to get someone that just does Fortnite on a PS4. He now spends his time split across that game still but the other half is on the PSVR with Five Nights at Freddy's game. He even used some of his Xmas money on the expansion pack rather than more V-bucks!!!

Ultimately, the kit works really well. You need a bit of space but not as much as you may think as you can sit down with it. What I would say is you need to also buy the PS4 move sensor controllers separately as i've yet to see one bundle that comes with the VR headset. Strange marketing product design but it is what it is.

Lots of wires to be aware of so you need to be just ask them to careful they don't trip up on anything. But seeing the joy he has experience motion games is great to see. He also has Iron Man VR and his autistic side loves this because i can see him shake with excitement when he flies into the sky.

How old are your kids again, Clive?

He’ll be 12yo, I’m stuck between the PS4 VR or ive seen the Oculus Rift setup but not sure on compatibility etc which is why I’m asking here. I’m not bothered about what’s cheaper etc I just want what is the best of what’s available and what offers more in versatility if that makes sense 

Using your criteria of the best available and which offers the most versatility then PC wins on both counts.  TBH PC wins on almost everything; HMD panel resolution and refresh rates, tracking accuracy, number of games supported, non-game uses (watching movies like you're the only one at the cinema, 360 videos, virtual tours, a number of exercise stuff for VR too or even 3d paint and modelling programs that work in VR etc.  The only 2 things I can think PSVR gets close is the HMD lenses; this varies headset to headset but the lenses in the PSVR are pretty good and secondly controllers.  Most PC VR has stand alone controllers which vary in quality and while you can get the move controllers for PSVR, the standard DS4 controller will work also.

You say you're not bothered about what's cheaper; I think cost has to be a consideration especially for PC VR due to the PC requirements to play in VR.  If you need to do PC upgrades on top the of the HMD then it becomes prohibitively more expensive.  I don't know what PC you currently have though so this may be a non-issue.  Though I suppose the flipside of this is if you want to carry on with PSVR then a PS5 upgrade may be due in the future as the PSVR works on both apparently (if you haven't already got one).

Phil mentions motion sickness; this is something to be aware of though potentially not much of an issue.  Some people seem to be extremely sensitive to motion sickness in VR (even those who don't suffer it in cars) though this mostly in fast moving games like racing games.  It can happen with any VR games though, when I was looking before buying mine, most people who said they got motion sick in VR could build up to playing to the point they don't suffer it any more.

TLDR: PC VR v PSVR is the same consideration as regular PC v Console gaming.  The experience is largely the same but PC VR has more options and is more expensive but looks better, runs better but can require more set up and tweaking to achieve that versus PSVR which not so good but is simple plug and play.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Greboth that’s one hell of a write up, fair plays to you for taking the time to explain it. I see what you’re saying about the PC VR compared to the PS VR, that’s makes complete sense. I think the main thing for me is if the oculus is the best option, is it useable on a PS?? Or if it is compatible is it worth the extra money if his PS can’t output the spec needed to run it crisp if that makes sense. Ie there’s no point in buying a 4k tv if you’re using a scary lead still. 

If he’ll only be using it on the PS4 then it makes your decision for you as headsets are not interchangeable so the Rift (or any other PC VR headset) can’t be used on the PS4.  As the PSVR can’t be used on PC*.

*For accuracy’s sake, it’s not strictly true, iVry or Trinus can get the PSVR working on PC but there’s several drawbacks and it doesn’t work all that well so it’s hard to recommend it.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

1 minute ago, Greboth said:

If he’ll only be using it on the PS4 then it makes your decision for you as headsets are not interchangeable so the Rift (or any other PC VR headset) can’t be used on the PS4.  As the PSVR can’t be used on PC*.

*For accuracy’s sake, it’s not strictly true, iVry or Trinus can get the PSVR working on PC but there’s several drawbacks and it doesn’t work all that well so it’s hard to recommend it.

I was just about to write, that I think its more about how much time he plays on which one the most. PSVR is more accessible imo and with the games available because its pretty much plug and play. PC VR machines will always dominate the statistics from the technical space than the Playstation ones, however PC will always be fine tuning things alot more than a Playstation (not always, but thats pretty consistent with whatever you buy for a PC).

It might be worth understanding what types of games he is thinking of playing on it. Has he given you a hint on what he has liked the look of at all?

Quest 2 is a nice middle ground. Wire free gaming on stand alone, or connect to pc for better games. Psvr is great but a bit of a faff. Minecraft vr is quite good.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

I used the ps4 vr for a little while and I didn't seem to care for it as well because of the way it worked at the time it might been me or what but since I have a pc now I thought about other vr games but I know the rift has been evolving over the years becoming better and better so clive if it was me I'd just break down and build or buy a pc😉😉😉

On 1/31/2021 at 1:33 PM, FallenDark200 said:

I used the ps4 vr for a little while and I didn't seem to care for it as well because of the way it worked at the time it might been me or what but since I have a pc now I thought about other vr games but I know the rift has been evolving over the years becoming better and better so clive if it was me I'd just break down and build or buy a pc😉😉😉

I think the PSVR is more drilled towards the younger gamer and from my experience, definitely teenagers based on how the controls work and the types of games available.

Five Nights at Freddy's, Iron Man, Fruit Ninja VR, Astrobot and a few others all hit the spot for that age group as they aren't for much younger kids. They hit that fantasy/thriller mark where they're trying to be older than they are and sometimes can be alot of fun for us much older gamers too.

Did you work out what platform your son would most likely be on btw Clive @Teenwolf25 ?