I need a monitor for PS4/PS5 and PC Gaming

LordBaguette

Hello

I would like some help on choosing a monitor for the above. I have looked at so many, there are almost too many options. My budget is around £500. I don't want a curved one / need to be 32 inch or less

What do you guys use / recommend?

cba

2 minutes ago, LordBaguette said:

why? response time faster on a monitor 

True. Always. I think I'm more or less confused on willingly being on a Playstation versus a new PC that would probably run better. (yes, I play console... but still a PC gamer at heart)

Also, two entirely different systems in my brain.

There are some kick ass monitors out there. I haven't looked in a few weeks. If I come across them again, I'll post here.

1 minute ago, RenFengge said:

True. Always. I think I'm more or less confused on willingly being on a Playstation versus a new PC that would probably run better. (yes, I play console... but still a PC gamer at heart)

Also, two entirely different systems in my brain.

There are some kick ass monitors out there. I haven't looked in a few weeks. If I come across them again, I'll post here.

I don't have the PC yet. I am getting a PS5 as soon as I can. I have a great 49 inch 4K TV but I need this because I am hogging the TV too much

cba

1 minute ago, LordBaguette said:

I don't have the PC yet. I am getting a PS5 as soon as I can. I have a great 49 inch 4K TV but I need this because I am hogging the TV too much

Lolz. Spouse getting angry?

We got a second TV the moment we could, so I could happily game without taking TV time away from @TurboR56Mini ... this was before I turned him into a sort-of-gamer.

2 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

Lolz. Spouse getting angry?

We got a second TV the moment we could, so I could happily game without taking TV time away from @TurboR56Mini ... this was before I turned him into a sort-of-gamer.

That is the issue yes xD

I had 2 TVs at my old place but not anymore unfortunately. She is very understanding but lockdown exacerbated the issue. Just so we can both do our own thing. and tbh if I get a smaller screen it will probably improve my competitiveness somewhat on some games too

cba

Any reason you said no to a curved one @LordBaguette ? I thought i'd never buy a curved one but a good deal turned up on a 24" MSI one and now having two of them in front of me, I can't see any disadvantage to them.

If its for longevity for wheh you get a PC, you should think about size as you might want to have 2 monitors over time. The 24" ones I have I think are around £220-250 so I can find them if needed. 1ms response, 144HZ, etc, so all top end settings.

Just now, GazzaGarratt said:

Any reason you said no to a curved one @LordBaguette ? I thought i'd never buy a curved one but a good deal turned up on a 24" MSI one and now having two of them in front of me, I can't see any disadvantage to them.

If its for longevity for wheh you get a PC, you should think about size as you might want to have 2 monitors over time. The 24" ones I have I think are around £220-250 so I can find them if needed. 1ms response, 144HZ, etc, so all top end settings.

I thought curved ones werent too great for FPS and the like? Since it kind of skews your field of view

cba

I would wait a few months because a few new monitors are hitting the market this year which are designed for 4K 144hz gaming which would get the best out of the PS5 for an entire generation. Asus have a new TUF range coming out with these specs including a 28 inch IPS panel, 1ms and HDR one. The VG28UQL1A should be out around June and is supposedly affordable. 

If you buy anything now you'll end up with a 2K one that will leave your experience dated for the next 7 years or a 4K screen that will hold you back in terms of the potential performance. On both counts you will probably end up buying a new one 3 years.  If you get a new PC down the line then you'll be coming right into this level of the market. 

The monitor market is really jam packed right now with so much choice but they are all largely for 1080p and 2K gaming from the last gen. If you've got a decent amount to burn and are buying into the PS5 and a new PC then it's best to invest in something appropriate that will last many years. 

2 minutes ago, LordBaguette said:

I thought curved ones werent too great for FPS and the like? Since it kind of skews your field of view

I didn't hear about that tbh. Also, how much does HDR really make a difference. I'd love to see how much the latest TVs and Monitors are different to the current 4k 144hz.

I think he needs one sharpish @J4MES OX4D  cos he aint gonna cope with one TV in the house for much longer!

I'm also in the market for s monitor. Curved would actually be my preference. From the research I've done, you can get a fast 1080p screen, or an ok 4k. Ps5 doesn't support 1440 (2k). Hdmi needs to be 2.1 to support future high resolution and like latency.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

7 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

Hdmi needs to be 2.1 to support future high resolution and like latency.

When it’s not broken.....

https://forevergaming.co.uk/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/8455-hdmi-21-is-brokenps5-and-next-gen-xbox-affected/&tab=comments#comment-135462

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

8 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I'm also in the market for s monitor. Curved would actually be my preference. From the research I've done, you can get a fast 1080p screen, or an ok 4k. Ps5 doesn't support 1440 (2k). Hdmi needs to be 2.1 to support future high resolution and like latency.

I'm not seeing what difference I'm losing on my PS5 btw - am I supposed to see a significant difference? It might be helpful for Tom to know this too if he is gonna get a PS5 eventually. For me, my PS5 is on one and the PC is on the other and initial view is that when we do get a PS5 game to play 😄 it looks bloody fantastic, mainly down to the frame rate the new games are made with (Destiny 2 PvP and CoD Cold War are 120FPS)

6 hours ago, phil bottle said:

If I was trying to save money I would go 1080p with fast refresh rate.

You've got a 4K tv, so you can always plug into that when you want a 4k experience. 

That is probably the best idea. Its annoying that you have to sacrifice one for the other though in the current world

cba

@LordBaguette  so here's what i've found so far. Others can recommend anything else and also say if these are half decent:

• 27 inch BenQ. 1ms response time and 144hz. £249.99. Tons of reviews that this is exteremely solid and good value for money

• 31.5 inch ASUS. 1ms response time and 165hz. £399. Lots of reviews and a bigger monitor, probably the biggest i'd ever go for a monitor. It is curved though so that might put you off if you still care about that.
  • 24.5 inch ASUS. 0.5ms response time and 165hz. £249.97. Same price as the 27 BenQ however significant improvements and 24/25 inch is a good size if you are eventually looking for dual monitors in the future within your set up (trust me, if you're going PC and staying with consoles, you'll want two monitors).

There are a few more cheaper 24 inch ones nearer the £200-£240 mark that will honestly do you fine if you're looking to save money as thats just under half your budget.

So I have been doing some pc monitor lurking for a hot minute because at the minute I use a msi 27 inch curved montior for my ps4 and pc but my pc is a monster compared to my ps4 and if you want a 4k setup but also to be able to use all 3 your going to have to wait. I'll explain there is maybe one monitor on the market at the moment that will support high refresh rate 4k gaming for pc but it does not have hdmi 2.1 only hdmi 2.0 To get 4k on a ps5 you must use a 2.1 hdmi setup and there is no such monitor yet. They are coming 2nd quarter and 3rd quarter of the year from the bigger companies. So if I was you being in the same boat I'd wait. Save your money because these monitors will not be cheap as the one monitor that I explained earlier the mrsp on its $800 use. Oh and also curved monitor on fps doesn't take away my fov I feel it actually makes areas stand out more imo