Resident Evil Village

J4MES OX4D

10 hours ago, phil bottle said:

That does look good, not necessarily as an RE game, but a first person shooter in a horror setting. Will keep a more firm eye on this I think.

I have to agree with you, i played the demo and think it will be a great horror game, but i wouldnt necessarily call it an RE game. I've always associated RE with zombies and would love another proper RE game, i still need to play the remakes of RE2 and RE3 though. I read yesterday that RE7 - 9 will be its own story trilogy so this should somehow lead on from 7

4 hours ago, Antpool84 said:

I have to agree with you, i played the demo and think it will be a great horror game, but i wouldnt necessarily call it an RE game. I've always associated RE with zombies and would love another proper RE game, i still need to play the remakes of RE2 and RE3 though. I read yesterday that RE7 - 9 will be its own story trilogy so this should somehow lead on from 7

I do miss the traditional Resident Evil games and I would love an new original over the shoulder camera title like the RE2 Remake. According to the developer interview last week, Village will be heavily inspired by RE4 and it will connect significantly with the original games but I cannot see the latter and I think this is more marketing talk. It feels more fantasy now than science fiction but it's nice to see them do something original.

They really need to expand on the protagonist here though especially if he's coming back for 9 to complete the trilogy. First person and no third person cutscenes was a bit of a disconnect in 7 so if they are just muttering a few lines and making some noises, it's not very engaging even being in the first person perspective. Does appear that Ethan (I had to look up his name) will have a more broader role but even so, that could once again just be marketing talk. 

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

It's been literally turned into a  contemporary survival game and looks closer to a DayZ single player than RE. Not complaining 😏

As long as I don't have to bash a rock against a tree, I'm not complaining. Wouldn't mind an extra gameplay layer added rather than just eating coloured herbs! Also sacrificing bullets could be a nice dilemma a bit like the old Ink Ribbon save days.

New 30 minute demo releases tomorrow for PS5 and PS4 set in the Village. Another one in the castle next week. There will then be the complete one hour demo which includes PC this time on May 2nd 

51115796488_4b6083d91a_k-1.jpg
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

PlayStation users get early Resident Evil Village Demo access.

3 varied demos before release can't be bad so I'm definitely checking this out again tomorrow. 

Resident Evil 4 VR announced too

Played through the second demo last night which was about 25 minutes long. The mechanics seemed fine but the combat is still clunky and cumbersome. It was a bit linear and on-rails but the area was certainly much bigger and deeper than what was available to play. Still not convinced by the protagonist but the visuals do look fantastic. Didn't feel the RE4 vibes like I thought I would though. Castle demo next week..

Played the final demo and I find it rather stupid that Capcom made these timed demos with a timer on top. Couldn't they have just made them one playthough per account? I felt like I was rushed the whole time and couldn't explore or appreciate what I was playing. 

The castle area is awesome and the visuals are truly mind-blowing but the combat really lacks punch and feels sloppy. I will definitely get this but probably not at release even with a great pre-order deal from Argos.  

Just finished the PC demo and the port feels really good. Like the PS5 version and RE7 prior, the mechanics don't feel great though - very clunky and cumbersome at times and the combat really lacks something. Game looks fantastic though but even after 3 timed demos and the Maiden standalone, I'm still very undecided. 

F6C41F7207374C410AC069D6E1FB2110507DAC18

7887B3A77E50A1D8DA6CDF8AABE2A793F1CDBCF9

Glad I tried the demo. Definitely not picking this up. Not a chance. 

I was hoping for something a little more fluid and less clunky. It looks good in some places but outside looks like a game made in 2015. Dying Light looks better. I'm also, so over cut scenes and being on rails, and quick time events. Unless this is a poor representation of the final game, I can't be bothered with it.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Reviews are out and there are plenty of 8's but it's clearly nothing groundbreaking. A few are also saying the game ends up as a Call of Duty by the end with so much exhausting and more prominent combat scenes. I saw one in a maze-like temple area and it looked a total clusterfuck of a shitshow. Journalists are usually very generous towards bands like this too and from some of the comments made in these reviews, it sounds like a slightly above average game at best with lousy combat and flawed design.

Disappointed but hey ho, that's £50 saved! 

In my eyes they've wrecked the franchise from 6 onwards possibly from 5. 

The remakes I found were rather easy and very short heck I did a speed run on the 3rd completing it in 1 hour 2 minutes. 

There's characters missing and not seen for for quite some time well Rebecca Chambers had her own game with resi 0 but Barry he was in the first and if you completed the original 3rd a certain way you see him for a split second at the end but resi 8 just seems to try copying other horror games that out and I can't see them going back to basics. 

slamminbones.png

Confession..  

I never played RE7.  The first person perspective kinda turned me off.  Village has my attention though.  I may wait and read some reviews before I commit.  There’s a lot coming down the pipe in the next few months.  And with 7 being a part of the ps plus collection, maybe I’ll check it out. 

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I played the Village demo last night and i have to agree with whats been said that its nothing special from what ive played so far, seemed like a pretty generic horror game throughout the demo. I expected it to be a bit more creepy to be honest, ill probably pick it up when the price comes down on it but ill have to satisfy my horror gaming needs with something else for now

9 hours ago, slamminbones said:

In my eyes they've wrecked the franchise from 6 onwards possibly from 5. 

I think they started losing the plot with the franchise from 5 - that was like an arcadey co-op title with a combat-heavy focus and no real story. 6 was an abomination and then there was all this fringe titles for handheld systems and spin-offs. I can't believe they followed-on so badly after the fine work they did in RE4. 

It feels like they were rebooting the series and becoming more grounded with 7 but instead turned it more into the usual corridor-horror with some tacked-on RE sterotypes. That still was a decent game but we already had so many of those from Amnesia to Outlast. It was a fresh Resident Evil but nothing we hadn't seen a million times over in recent years prior.  

I finished the story yesterday and here’s some of my take aways.  I won’t spoil anything.

Graphically, damn.  Looks great.  Sound for the most part is good.  I was confused with the voice acting choices though.  I get that the main character sound American (and a total wimp) but if the game is based in Europe, shouldn’t the voices of the enemies reflect that?

Gameplay is ok.  I found the movement to be really slow and clunky even after getting the upgrade that improves movement.  Gunplay was fine most times but felt really snappy.  

I haven’t touched the extra mercenaries mode but from everything I’ve seen, it’s the same as previous interations.  

As for the all important story...  I found the pacing really good at first.  The opening area and the two that follow were well placed and felt like RE7 with the exception of the first boss fight.  The third area felt like an actual terrifying section.  Again, I won’t spoil it, but trust me.  It’s good.  

The ladder half of the game though felt really weird.  Lots of combat, and I mean LOTS.  At a couple points, it felt like I was playing a hoard mode and found it frustrating.  Once the credits roll, I honestly had more questions then answers. 

It was an ok experience.  There’s lots of replay value with it so I’d think an 8/10 would be a fair score for it.  RE4 is still my fave of the series.   

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Great read Chad @Riff Machine .

4 minutes ago, Riff Machine said:

RE4 is still my fave of the series.

Do you think it took the right elements from RE4 or could it have taken more? I'm also interested in how you found the camera angles as opposed to RE4 and whether it took away from the feel of the game at all?