Resident Evil Village

J4MES OX4D

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

There is also a demo available on the PS5 now.

Game is £64.99 on Steam which is fucking ridiculous though. Not paying next gen prices for a PC game. 

65 quid for it PC won't sell at all. I suppose they're gonna try that shit and since fucks with more money than sense will pay it I suppose. It looks great as far as I can tell, but I guarantee I'll pay no more than 20 quid because it's now stored in the 'wait for sale' section of my brain.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Looks like they made a mistake and the game is back to £49.99 which is still a lot. The £65 version now contains RE7 which everybody practically has who would buy Village so it's a bit of a silly package. I'll either grab it on an external site where I can get at least 20% off or just wait for a sale. I love Resident Evil but I dunno if I can justify paying full whack. 

I might have to push on with going back to remastered RE2 & 3. I think it looks great but I don't think FPS with RE games is for me. I like how theyre incoporating decent additions to previous successful games but i'm totally with you both on the price so far. Not worth £65. In fact most PS5 titles aren't worth 65 squids!!

Another thing that has me worried is the series seems to be drifting away from Science Fiction and heading more towards fantasy. Agree with Lee about it being in first person too - whilst it is immersive, the mechanics aren't solid enough especially in regards to the combat. I think the more traditional 3rd person is way better and would be more suitable here. Resident Evil 7 was a great experience but it felt like I was playing a first person mod of a RE game and it looks the same here. Visuals do look fantastic though.

Not worth the money and I from what I've read they're saying they've listened to the fans and going back to basics from the original games but from what I've seen it's only the 4th game with buying and upgrading weapons from the merchant. 

slamminbones.png

8 hours ago, slamminbones said:

Not worth the money and I from what I've read they're saying they've listened to the fans and going back to basics from the original games but from what I've seen it's only the 4th game with buying and upgrading weapons from the merchant. 

The merchant defeats the purpose of the entire experience of Survival Horror - why bother searching for items and conserving ammo when you can buy shit from a teleporting fat merchant. They'll probably start selling in-game currency for £49.99 too! 

I didn't play much Resident Evil, but what I did, I know I loved.

This does not scream "Resident Evil" to me. This screams "7th Guest". Man, I loved that game. It scared the hell out of me.

Not sure I'll play this. But, it is something I'll keep in mind.

I dunno, the game has undergone a few different changes since RE1.

Personally, RE4, which I played on the GameCube lol, was my favourite. I liked the trader and the new point of view.

Hated 5 and 6.

RE7 was good for the atmosphere but I didn't like the combat like James says, so I hope that's better.

The lore seems closer to 4 as well, maybe they should give this spin into fantasy horror a different name for the game. Just call it The Village and drop the resident evil moniker.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Sells more though with the RE tag @phil bottle 😎

RE4 looked fantastic and I used to watch my mate nail that game, it was so refreshingly different. But it was still third person, just from a different view. I saw the following tweet from a game director I follow and it hit one of the critical points for me:

The whole aesthetic of seeing your character in RE games, made it iconic and unique to their franchise. Always good to try to do things differently. RE4 and RE7 did that. One did brilliantly, the other was Marmite. Ithink they stuck with FPS because of pure re-use of game assets in a world where people want games coming out quicker than the 6/7 years it takes to build one from scratch. Don't blame them but this is why it won't sell mega bucks.

People should give the RE Revelations game a go. It has co-op ability which makes the game very unique. Not the greatest controls but then what RE game does! Thats where I thought they could push this franchise a little more down that road.

I reinstalled RE7 on Steam last night. I played it very little on PC so it'll be like playing a brand new game.

I agree @GazzaGarrattits the 3rd person view that makes RE a distinctive experience but I'm a sucker for first person as it always makes me feel like I'm in the game rather than controlling a character, if that makes sense🙃

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

RE: First Person vs Third Person

I'm highly disappointed in games doing First Person exclusively. Like, part of me feels like it's absolutely lazy. Also, the other part is that I get very disoriented in First Person lol. Like, I'm the person who will be stuck in a corner because I can't actually see what's what.

33 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

RE: First Person vs Third Person

I'm highly disappointed in games doing First Person exclusively. Like, part of me feels like it's absolutely lazy. Also, the other part is that I get very disoriented in First Person lol. Like, I'm the person who will be stuck in a corner because I can't actually see what's what.

I agree, many games would be enhanced with the ability to switch between views. In DayZ and the Arma games it's been a feature for a decade. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Still haven't played through Resident Evil 3 yet so I may have to try that soon - I can get it for about £12 but it only being about 5 hours long is a major disappointment especially after the incredible RE2 Remake. 

There is a concept mod for RE7 which has a classic camera that looks good - would love to see the future games support both perspectives including an over-the-shoulder view. 

Played the PS5 Maiden demo earlier and it was a good experience. Running at 4K 60fps and HDR which was very nice and there are some outstanding texture and detail work. Does feel a lot like Resident Evil 7 in terms of the mechanics but I'm liking the setting and characters. Not sure if I'll pay full whack but I'll definitely pick up the full game sometime down the line. 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:41 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

I might have to push on with going back to remastered RE2 & 3. I think it looks great but I don't think FPS with RE games is for me. I like how theyre incoporating decent additions to previous successful games but i'm totally with you both on the price so far. Not worth £65. In fact most PS5 titles aren't worth 65 squids!!

Skip 3.  2 is the only one worth playing.  3 should have been dlc for 2. It’s rushed and feels incomplete compared to 2. 

I’m looking forward to 8, but these new game prices are going to be a huge turn off.  I figure if this ends up on game pass PC, I’ll check it out.  But other then that, I’m waiting for a sale. 

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Until the franchise goes back to third person view I don't think i'm interested if i'm honest. I said it earlier in the thread that this is so critical to this franchise that I don't feel any pull towards the game at all.

If anything i'll start playing through RE2 remake and i'm sure that will set a high bar for a brand new RE game in the future.

There is a multiplayer beta next month for Resident Evil: Re:Verse which is free for owners of Village. I am still honestly baffled as to why they are putting an MP component in the game. It'll be DOA and a complete waste of development time. It's not like it's going to generate any revenue or challenge the likes of Dead By Daylight. Re:Verse also seems to be deathmatch-oriented so right off the bat it is going to be a stale concept. The beta will probably get more players that the final game and there will probably be less than 1500 globally after 3 days on all systems. Complete waste of time. 

Multiplayer? Unless they have an ingenious way of making it a proper RE experience it sounds like an awful idea.

I agree @GazzaGarratt as I had another go on RE7 in first person recently and it didn't feel like an RE game. The RE2 remaster though is brilliant.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg