Going Manual - Tips & Help

GazzaGarratt

I've been thinking about trying out manual gears for some time now on Gt Sport as I know its generally faster times you can get however at the best of times there's a lot to concentrate on, let alone then change gears as you race. So are there any helpful tips on what to look out for, how to change gears, etc. I appreciate I know how to do it in real life but racing in a virtual world is very different to the real thing!

Likely to start out on controller but obviously tips for people with racing wheel's are welcome too as I'd love to own one in the future.

Cheers all!

3 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I've been thinking about trying out manual gears for some time now on Gt Sport as I know its generally faster times you can get however at the best of times there's a lot to concentrate on, let alone then change gears as you race. So are there any helpful tips on what to look out for, how to change gears, etc. I appreciate I know how to do it in real life but racing in a virtual world is very different to the real thing!

Likely to start out on controller but obviously tips for people with racing wheel's are welcome too as I'd love to own one in the future.

Cheers all!

I don't have any tips , also thought you did already, but I just find it makes the game more involving more immersive if thats a thing. 

On controller I set the gears to square and X. 

Change down gears to assist turning around corners and getting acceleration out of corners. This is the trickiest bit, so practice this the most. Getting the hang of braking and going down the gears was the key for me, so practice that. Try to go down only as many as you really need.

It'll be second nature no time.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I can give you 2 tips for manual gears.  Change up when you redline.  Change down when you're braking.  The End.

I jest but changing up is exactly that really, change up as you get to the redline.  Though it will cost you time if you hit the limiter so don't.  Some cars also benefit from changing up before red line but generally, it will be at redline.

Changing down, this is basically tap downshift while braking.  There's a rhythm to downshifting and the specific timing you'll need to experiment with - basically if you change too fast you'll over rev the car (which while no damage in GT Sport, it can cause you to spin) so time your downshifts that when you downshift you're roughly back at the redline.  Once you figure out the timing you should be alright.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

On 1/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, phil bottle said:

Getting the hang of braking and going down the gears was the key for me, so practice that.

This is the key one I remember when i briefly tried in the past. My brain was like a 4 month old baby as it all went to mush when going into and around a corner.

Thanks for the tips so far. I need to find a separate session to just practice it over and over to get the hang of it. I'll report back once I have some initial try outs.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

This is the key one I remember when i briefly tried in the past. My brain was like a 4 month old baby as it all went to mush when going into and around a corner.

Thanks for the tips so far. I need to find a separate session to just practice it over and over to get the hang of it. I'll report back once I have some initial try outs.

I practiced on tracks with long straights to start with (just slowing down and dropping a gear at a time) and then moved onto actual corners. I know you 'hate the straights' but they have their uses😋

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I may also give this a try and map the buttons to X And [ ] 

It's remarkably easy in real life because I'm fine with putting my car into manual mode and using the paddles but in the game there's so much more to contend with and things are happening much faster. 

I just have to bite the bullet one day like you @Mikepjbell . Problem is, I just didn't expect to be really quick on Auto so I know i'll have to take a dip in performance for a while to get it right...but I just don't wanna! 😬🤣