Oculus VR

J4MES OX4D

Tempted to pick up a VR headset sometime and the Oculus Rift S right now is going fairly cheap at £100 off. The only catch seems to be that support for the unit is being stopped as newer models like the Quest 2 are being prioritised. However, a further concern is that the device has a fucking Facebook account requirement to function apparently that is now being enforced. I quit that platform many years ago and have no desire to return especially just to run a piece of electronic equipment. At this rate you'll need to be online to use your toilet and do a shit soon the way technology is going. I just want to use a device and not have any commercial crap attached. 

Anyone got any experience with the Oculus headsets and any more information about this? Index is too expensive, Vive is also pricey and the mixed reality HP ones are largely unavailable in the UK. Oculus ticks all the boxes aside from the Facebook requirement. I've also heard whispers people getting locked out of their devices because of separate issues with their Facebook accounts and also investigations in Germany about the legality of such things. 

I may have to give it a miss because of all this added bullshit. Don't want the headache. 

@tronic44 you tried them at all? I know @McNasty  and @Greboth just picked up VR headsets so they might be able to chime in if they have any experience or comparison.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I think I’ve tried all the VR headsets apart from the PSVR, the Index wins hands down for me. It’s not just resolution, the fit and feel is a lot nicer.

Also the controllers are the dogs ballz. 

Seems I'm in good company in this thread as I went for the index.  For me this was driven by it's one of the few HMD's that fit as my IPD (basically the distance between your eyes) is ~70-71mm and most HMD's top out in the 60's.  Though I also went for the index for the buy right buy once motto as at the time it was the best (And arguably still is).  Though if you're looking at the Rift S, I thought the facebook profile thing was coming in but if you already had an Oculus account it would carry on or something like that? It isn't something I looked too deeply in to though so there's a good chance I'm wrong.  Sadly no HMD is perfect; between God rays, chromatic aberration, resolutions, black levels, refresh rates etc.  each one has some negative about it.  The Rift S does get recommended a lot though and, anecdotally, I'd say when I was looking all recommendations were for the Rift S or Index depending on budget.  So assuming the Rift S would fit, I don't you'd be disappointed with it.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Some great news

ZnHKRAjnzMbHmycU5eQF4Q-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

You will soon no longer need a personal Facebook account in order to play your Oculus VR headset.

It's also good that you can pick up a 128gb one for £299 now. 

As soon as they remove the Facebook requirement then this may become an interesting proposition especially with San Andreas now confirmed for VR. I'd love to play RE4 and Alyx this way. 

Anyhow, fuck Zuckerberg and Facebook. 

It's finally happened although you now still need a supposedly less intrusive Meta account. Too bad they put the devices up by £100 last month - people were in limbo because they wanted to get one before the increase but didn't want to be left in the dark as to when Facebook would finally remove the login.  As per scummy practice as usual, they leave people in the dark on the cheap and then bait people as the price rockets

QDt6zbWrSc3RYSNWGiVBmS-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A simple email address will suffice.