RenFengge's 2021 Fitness PPR

RenFengge

5 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Murph has been explained to me. He can't honestly remember his best time as it was  6 or 7 years ago but it was sub 1 hour.

His latest challenge with some friends is a 4 mile run every 4 hours for 48 hours and no cheating running 8 miles and having longer recovery...every run starts exactly 4 hours after the previous run started! Madness!

That. Sounds. Terrible. Hahaha. Intriguing if you like running, but terrible. Like, what about sleep? Gonna tell me he has to wake up to do the run? Hahahah.

Oh, Fran is:

image.png.cb2986a62ca511fffb3b5f970314fc94.png

3/10/2021 Workout

Find 3 Rep Max Deadlift (225lbs)

Bonus:

1000m row

50 push ups

Thoughts: I swear... if being out of breath doing basic sprints or jumps or sparring or living life wasn't something I cared about, I would probably just do strength training. 

But, I do enjoy the idea of being physically capable at doing anything. So, hence the bonus.

For the deadlifts, our coach gave us 2 options: 1) Hand release deadlifts with the ability to drop the bar at the last rep, or 2) No hand release, no dropping.

I chose hand release. So did our elite athlete Shale. I couldn't tell if that meant I chose wisely or what. My thinking was to give my hands a quick breather when it got heavy. My grip strength is what I need to work on, so I knew my hands would be fatigued.

What was fun about this morning's workout was watching Shale just lift an ungodly amount. I think he got up to 335lbs. Yes, I was a bit jealous when I saw him just keep adding 45lbs plates. I think I can get close to that.. one day. If I keep at it.

Now, why the Bonus? Because I felt like it? I'm so used to being completely wiped after my gym session that I thought, "Why not do something more.. you had a lot of carbs this week anyway."

I didn't go fast on the row. Just got it done at around 5 minutes... then did my push ups, which was more of the challenge. Especially after being a bit out of breath from the row. Good times!

3/13/2021 Workout

Squat Workshop

15-minute time under tension at 50% 1 rep max (115lbs)

Thoughts: So, Coach Tim is on vacation... and he left Coach James in charge of the lifting stuff.

I was not prepared for a semi-cardio workout. He allowed us 1-minute rests before we had to get back under the bar. We were to do a semi-slow squat until we started losing form. Not until failure. Until we were "uncomfortable."

I joked and said, "soooo.. like 2 reps, right?"

Knowing that we were going to be doing high-reps, I adjusted my depth to only slightly below parallel. Lost count after 55-ish reps.

My legs are toast.

But, I'm still gonna go check out some Eskrima/Arnis/Kali in about an hour. 😆

3/13/2021 Workout (Part 2? Active Rest?)

Cinco Teros Eskrima (90 Minute Session)

Those curious --> 

CINCO-TEROS-fma-styles.jpg
FMAPULSE.COM

Cinco Teros ("Five Strikes") refers to the five most basic strikes in eskrima, which is a class of Filipino martial arts that emphasizes staff and sword fighting. The art is composed of the four basic cuts and...

What I'm trained in --> 

BALINTAWAK-ESKRIMA-fma-styles.jpg
FMAPULSE.COM

The Chronicles of Balintawak At about the start of the American regime, the Cañete siblings began their training in Eskrima. Brothers Florentino and Eulogio Cañete (later to become the principal organizer and...

Thoughts: I wasn't fully intending to participate in the session. I really just wanted to ask questions and see the style. I ended up participating.

Cinco Teros may be my third style of eskrima to learn. It is not my favorite.

There is a practicality and method of learning in Balintawak that jives better with me. In Balintawak, we do not care what "Strike" is happening. We only care about ending the fight as quickly as possible. If that means disarming, that's preferred. If that means doing a finishing blow to make sure you never get up, okie doke. If that means maiming you because you don't know when to stay down, fine. If that means doing a killing blow (neck breaking, stabbing with gash and/or twisting, slicing an artery, etc), well, it had to be done. There is no memorization in learning. Yes, we have drills, but it's not really "memorizing". It's creating reactions.

So, anyway, I went to the park to go check it out. Cinco Teros is a style from Bagio. Bagio is in the northern area of the Philippines. This particular style is very much a family style that isn't advertised or really taught. You have to have permission from the family to teach it. The one thing I really like about Cinco Teros is that after you learn the basics, you're expected to evolve the style into what works for you. This is also more sword and knife based. All Eskrima/Arnis is meant to transition from sticks to knives to hands, but various styles will lend more to sticks or knives or hands. The overall thinking of this type of combat martial arts is that you are to be able to defend yourself using anything or nothing. This is why we do not have "uniforms". This is why I specifically trained with no padding or gear. You need to know how to take a hit if you're going to survive a real fight. The sooner you get used to that pain and learn how to avoid it, the better your chances on the street.

For 90 minutes in the park yesterday, I did some drills. Clumsily. But I did them. The teaching is not where I want it to be. But, my thinking is that at least I would be learning and keeping up with something. Plus, knowing another Filipino in the area would be nice. Just because I want home food! Also, the other students... I'm merely curious on who they are. As terrible as it sounds, I want to know who are these non-Filipinos learning my country's combat systems. I hate Katas. I hate memorization. But, I will end up doing them with this teacher.

I have loved seeing Filipino Martial Arts used more and more in TV (Arrow and the Arrowverse heavily use FMA) and movies (Christopher Nolan's Batman for hand-to-hand, Star Wars Yoda/Dooku). Learning any aspect of it, whether or not I really enjoy it, is still a bonus in my book.

3/15/2021 Workout

3 Rounds:

• 30 Hang Cleans (55lbs)
  • 15 Ring Rows
  • 30 Heavy KB American Swings (44lbs)

Then

TABATA Push Ups for 8 rounds.

Thoughts: This is where we're at, I guess. I need to focus on my food for better recovery now. I cannot still be this sore 2 days after a workout, and I cannot be this hungry all the time like I have been lately. Plus, allergy season is coming. Now, the question is... how can I mentally shift gears and cycle off of Intermittent Fasting without upsetting the balance I have recently fought for? Or, do I keep to it and just do a fat bomb in the morning, shake for lunch with all the goodies, then a solid dinner? My former routine used to be a shake in the morning, normal lunch, amazing dinner (or shake dependent on when we would finally get home from work).

Anyway.

Walked into the gym this morning and joked, "So, is the goal of today's workout to make sure we have no shoulder strength for the rest of the day?"

Coach Liz laughed.

I mean, I guess perfectly fine considering my lower body is sore from Saturday's fun. And, I really need to work on upper body anyway.

I went to my box and said. "Soooo... there's a 53lb kettle bell and a 44lb kettle bell... Mind if I get a 35lb?"

Stares... Just stares. Lol.

When it comes to kettlebells, I have a fear of losing grip and it crashing on my head if we do overhead swings. It's why I prefer Russian swings if we're going heavy. Not that I would actually choose a 44lb kettlebell either way, but still lol.

This workout was... tough. Because I didn't want it to hit 25 minutes. I was still the last to finish, but not by too much. I think it was a minute more than everyone else. The swings were the toughest. I have no clue what the thinking was in the development of this workout. I was scaled to ring rows instead of pull-ups. Like, it's just a lot on grip and upper body... for a long time!

Obviously, there's some core and glute work in the cleans and swings... it's all still terrible lol.

However, nothing like pushing through the last 10 reps on the swings while people are cheering you on. Semi-shameful, but a good push.

Tabata push ups were next... and hahaha... no one did them proper. Everyone scaled to knees. No one had the strength left to do them.

All in all. Good times!

3/17/2021 Workout

Power Snatch - Descending Ladder by 2, Start at 14 Reps - Add Weight at Each Set (35lbs --> 95lbs)

Bonus:

3 Rounds:

100 Single Unders

10 Sit ups

Thoughts: So, last "real" time I did power snatches was not in the workout done a few weeks ago, but like probably 8 years ago... And, it was tough. And, I was so upset with only getting up to 115lbs. But, again, I need to work on upper body strength. Catching and holding that bar is the challenge for me.

When I got down to the 4 rep set, my coach was eyeballing the weights and said, "75lbs? Really?"

I said, "There's a method to my madness. Don't worry, I'll throw on another 10lbs for the 2 rep set."

Did it. Did the 2 reps at 85lbs. Only for Coach James to go, "That was too easy. Let's just put on another 10. To make me feel better."

I said, "Board said last set was 2 reps. What is this?"

He said, "This is what you pay us for. To push you."

Me, "Yet you know I'm going to do a quick cardio workout afterwards."

Him, "That's cardio with no upper body. You'll be fine."

95lbs... that was a bit terrible. But still done.

The bonus workout was just because I woke up this morning in a mood to do jump rope. So, yeah. Simple. Quick. A little core.

Now, regarding food. I'm like sitting on the edge where I get a little sad if I can't easily feel some of my rib and hip bones... if I don't feel hollow in the morning. This is a struggle. This is me being honest. I like being able to feel them. I like feeling empty. And, I don't think it's a normal thing. But, I'm dealing. Still eating a decent amount. But, it's a fine line for me. And, I'm going to start this morning not really in a fast, but with a fun concoction of espresso, matcha, whey protein, MCT oil, and coconut oil... with a little vanilla. Did you know this was a thing now? I find it hilarious. I've been doing protein coffees since 2012... and now it's a thing.

3/20/2021 Workout

Back Squat Workshop (last day)

• Find 1 rep max

Thoughts: New PR --> 265lbs back squat (original all time PR was 260lbs. This cycle, I started at 225lbs 1 rep max)

So, that was fun. I did not think I would get to 265lbs. I thought, "Let's just hit 235lbs." Why? Because i'm down 14lbs from the start of the workshop, and weight loss tends to affect strength gains... so I wanted to keep my expectations at a place where I wouldn't be so disappointed with myself.

When I got to 235lbs and did it, Coach James said, "Let's throw on 15lbs plates. That looked too easy like you could jump squat it."

I said, "You want a 30lb jump between sets? Are you trying to kill me?"

He said, "It will make me feel better. You said your original PR was 260lbs. Let's see if we can set a new one."

I said, "260lbs was like 5 years ago. This year is 225lb. And you want me to go to 265lbs for the next rep?"

He said, "It's not a true 1 rep max until you fail."

Mmkay.

That was... challenging. I haven't sort of scream through a rep in a long time. But, it got done. Coach James wanted me to put on the 2.5lb plates next. I said, "Let's take the win at 265lbs. You and I both know that was difficult."

Coach Liz said, "We should have video'ed that. It looked so bad ass with your colored hair." (Yes, I colored my hair red and blue this week in celebration of not needing to go back into the office until September)

Now, we have 2 weeks off until the squat clean workshop. This is where I will need to do a lot of work. Squats are easy. Cleans... cleans are a different game. 

Also, in celebration of an all-time new PR, I bought some St. Joseph's cakes and split one with darling husband. I partially regret it.. But, it's something I have been looking for for years (because I had no clue what they were called until someone showed me a photo of them.. and I went, "That's what they are called??!! I have been trying to figure it out for YEARS!")

Good times.

3/22/2021 Workout

4 Rounds

• 20 Front Squats (2 rounds at 75lbs, 2 rounds at 55lbs)
  • 10 Tuck Jumps
  • 10 Push Press (2 rounds at 75lbs, 2 rounds at 55lbs)
  • 10 Burpees

Thoughts: This.Was.Terrible.

I thought to myself before doing this, "Tuck jumps suck." I did not expect the Tuck Jumps to be my breather.

Also did not want to do 75lbs for my weight. Because I knew I would be gassed. But, the argument was "You back squatted 265lbs... this is nothing."

To which I retorted, "I have to push press the weight as well... as the third movement... when I'm out of breath. Strength is different than endurance! And, I don't think anyone wants to be here after 30 minutes just because I'm taking my sweet time to survive."

Hahaha.

Oh.my.god.

So, why did it suck? It wasn't that the movements were difficult. On the contrary, I actually like all the movements, and I think the workout is a great one.

But, here's the problem - as I start to freak out a little about month end weigh in, that little demon in my brain is all "no carbs for you. No carbs.. No food.. nothing for you." So, all I basically ate yesterday was my protein coffee shake, some pork rinds, half an almond horn, and my quarter of a chicken with mushrooms and brussel sprouts... which sounds like a lot? I think? I dunno. I'm a terrible judge on food quantity. I just know that I 

I went into the workout absolutely not ready for anything haha. And, part of me wants to redo it later. But, I have a doctor's appointment that will completely wipe me for the rest of the day... and probably some of tomorrow.

P.S. You cannot live on supplements alone and still expect to perform well. Not like I didn't know that. Very much knew that. I just wasn't aware how much energy I wasn't going to have lol.

Side note, Coach Tim was at the gym this morning with a client. He had heard about my new PR. Came over to me and said, "I can't believe I missed it! I wanted to see it, but I also forgot where we were in the cycle. Super proud of you! So glad we have another lifter here aside from Shale." That's always nice.

3/24/2021 Workout

2 Rounds:

• 20 Leg Lifts
  • 30 Lunges
  • 40 Flutter Kicks
  • 50 Air Squats

Thoughts: Lol. I did not realize until now that each movement was an increment of 10.

This... this was a workout that was basically meant for me lol. Shale still finished before me, but not by much longer. Shale, Sally, and I all finished within 10 seconds of each other. I got scolded for taking a break and drinking water between a few movements lol.

Obviously, the leg lifts and the flutter kicks were a touch difficult. My core is something I need to improve on, so I was grateful for this workout.

It was funny after the workout how both Shale and I were all, "my thighs.. oh my thighs"... speed burning through 50 air squats is not ideal, but it's the only way to get through that many haha.

As for food, the past week, I've added my whey protein to my coffee drink in the morning. Like I said before, I cannot be sore 2 days after a workout. That means, I need to do something about it. BCAAs and whey for the win on this. I'm not sore on the 2nd day, which is when I do another workout. Goal accomplished. However, my weight is staying steady... and I'm hoping that's more about retaining muscle/not having muscle loss and losing fat... and gaining muscle in place of the fat loss.

If I don't drop 2.5lbs by end of month, I'll miss out on the weigh in.. Oh wellz.

The next 7 days is essentially a full rest week. We'll see how that goes on repair and minimizing inflammation from ripped muscles.

3/27/2021 Workout

Boxing

Thoughts: What workout absolutely crushes any thought that maybe you started gaining some endurance? Basically, anything in the martial arts/fighting realm.

I haven't been boxing since... Christmas time? I think.

But, luckily, I haven't forgotten the combos we were working on. I just have terrible stamina. Again, my goal in any fight is to finish it in 2 - 3 moves, then run the f*ck away if I need to haha.

My boxing coach has me working on some other non-boxing movements. Wants me to train like his other boxers, with the whole workout. Ehhh...

At least I know that every punch I threw was power-packed enough to make him need a break from my fists. So, while he was needing a break from my fists hitting the pads, I was needing a break to breathe!

I also went to my chiropractor after. He goes to the same HIIT gym as I do. We were talking about the workouts, and he told me to anticipate more running coming up. I jokingly said, "Is this to get us ready for Murph?" 

He said, "You know... never thought about it.. but it probably is."

FML.

For those who don't know, the "Hero" WODs are tributes to fallen soldiers. ‘Murph’ is named after Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, who was killed in action in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. (Every so often, a new WOD is created in honor of fallen heroes. My favorite one being the 'Hotshot 19', which I think I almost cried just trying to finish. Boxes have raised over $336,000 for the families of the 19 fallen firefighters.) More info on the background of the 'Murph' WOD.

So, maybe I'll start training for it. Maybe I'll fully stick to my fitness goals for a full year for once Haha.. we'll see.

3/29/2021 Workout

Row House Signature Class

Thoughts: I hate hate these types of gym classes. Anything that resembles a Spin class can go pound sand.

So... why?

Because they were doing a sweepstakes promotion of 3 people will win a free 1-year unlimited membership. And, I thought, "Eh... why not. It will be good for rest days if I win."

Obviously, I ended up signing up for 14 classes. Because I also need active rest days and cardio.

This wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. No, I did not make it through the whole session without a break. But, considering how terrible my endurance is to begin with, I was oddly shocked that I lasted 15 minutes without stopping. The light workouts in-between the rowing sets was a nice way to get a breather in.

I'll use the sessions as my active rest. With hopes that maybe it will help with my endurance in the long run.

Total meters rowed: 5,324m.

3/31/2021 Workout

Boxing

Thoughts: Cardio week instead of rest week, I guess lol.

For those of you who don't know, I don't box with gloves. I box with only wraps. There is a minimal amount of cushion on my knuckles. Why? Because if you get into a fight on the street, no one is waiting for you to get gloves on. Wraps gives me just enough protection to get through a session. When I used to train in the Philippines, there were times where we went bare knuckle to develop the knuckle calluses. Yes, I had many days of bloody knuckles. Yes, my trainer in the Philippines would have me do bag work on a canvas bag and bare knuckles. Yes, he waited until the end to "clean" my ripped skin with a spray bottle of alcohol then bandaged my hands.

Today was decent. I like days where we focus a lot on technique and less on random (to me) exercises. A bunch of ladder work for footwork and movement. He made me wear 5lb ankle weights the whole session because he forgot I had them on, to which I responded to him with, "I'm fat enough... and you want me to add more weight?". I already know my muscles will be sore later.

Food wise... I've been pretty decent on my food this month. Nothing outrageously out of bounds or excessive that was not in my overall food plan. I have added whey to my morning shakes on the mornings I work out. It has definitely stopped the soreness that was happening on the second day. So yay. However, I have also been stuck on the scale in terms of weight. I shouldn't fret, but of course, I am. Because I want the number to go down. I want to see progress on that damn scale. Because it's the only way I can actually notice progress. I will never see if I look less fat. I will never notice it when I look in the mirror. I could be down 4 sizes in women's clothes and still not see it. I could fit into my white pants that I haven't worn in 10 years (when I didn't work out) and still not see it.

Anyway... overall, I am making the progress that matters. I'll focus a bit more on cardio, so I don't die when doing Murph sometime this year lol.

4/3/2021 Workout

Mixed Martial Arts - Intro Session

Thoughts: So, I don't think the FMA teacher is going to be for me. There's not enough structure in it for me to learn anything worthwhile.

As for this MMA place I checked out today... I have been somewhat curious about this place and its instructor for probably a year. I just would always think, "Ugh. I'm not going to Norwalk." It's about 15 - 20 minutes from me, and the times never seemed to work for me. However, we're still remote, and I just wrapped up my boxing package for now. Onto the next thing.

Jonesly (my instructor for this place) is intense. And, after today's session, probably the only one who will be able to fix some of my footwork.

I will, unfortunately, have to fight with gloves. But, I'm wondering if I can at least go down to MMA gloves. I guess we will see.

Jonesly will be teaching me more close quarters combat, which I have always actively avoided. While it's where almost all real fights end up in, my training and how I like to fight is to end it in 3 moves or run away. There will be no getting me on the ground. But, that's not realistic, is it? So, okay. BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai it is. This is all new to me. Haven't been this nervous about a physical activity in a while. Should be good.

4/6/2021 Workout

4 Rounds:

• 250m row
  • 25 kettlebell swings (35lbs)
  • 12 Burpees

Thoughts: I went into this thinking, "I just have to push through. I have to get better at cardio." Because I like traditional HIIT workouts.

What I was not expecting was for me to be by myself for this. So, this ended up as a personal training session with the dreaded "no rep".

I was not expecting the row portion to be my breather. But, it was. Averaged 4 minutes a round. Coach had the impulse to tell me that I should be glad he didn't give me the 44lb kettlebell because "This is more cardio, I want you at a lighter weight."

Mmkay. Could have given me a 25lb kettlebell and it would have gone faster lol.

It's fine. The no-reps made it worse.. My upper back is a bit sore from the swings because it is weaker than my legs. 

I ended up leaving my water bottle at the gym after the workout.. which meant that I had to go back this morning and do a workout to claim my water bottle. That will be in the next post.

4/7/2021 Workout

15 to 3 Ladder, descending by 3

• 24" Box Jumps
  • Knee-Ups (scaled Toes-to-Bar)

3 minute rest, then go back up the ladder.

Thoughts: I love box jumps. I love it especially when I'm not jumping on plates. I hate jumping on plates. I'm always concerned about the top plate moving, so I end up going slower.

But, give me a proper box? Heck yes! I can bang out reps fairly quickly.

The knee-ups was the more difficult thing because grip strength. My hands started to hurt when I got to the 6-rep... so holding on long enough to finish sets was difficult.

I enjoyed this workout and yesterday's. Classic HIIT.

Rest days are tomorrow and Friday. Maybe I'll post about my walks/hikes with Carl. We'll see.

On 3/31/2021 at 2:57 PM, RenFengge said:

For those of you who don't know, I don't box with gloves. I box with only wraps. There is a minimal amount of cushion on my knuckles. Why? Because if you get into a fight on the street, no one is waiting for you to get gloves on.

Thats awesome. Worth maybe a little extra pain to know how to properly defend yourself in the wild!

4/10/2021 Workout

Squat Clean Workshop

Thoughts: Work on your weaknesses, they say. In the almost 9 years I have dabbled in weightlifting, no one has been able to fix my cleans. Granted, no one has actually focused on trying. So, we do this workshop.

Getting to proper extension on the shrug before dipping below the bar has always been something I had issues with. Now, we add on the fact that I can't catch the bar with an open grip either. This was never an issue for me until this round of working out.

All I can say is that I'm still glad I was not the one with the lowest 1 rep max. Now, if I could just stop mostly muscling the clean part and open my grip, there should be a huge improvement in that number lol.

4/11/2021 Workout

MMA Training

Thoughts: I've been on/off on defense training since I was 19. My 1 year in the Philippines was my most intensive training, and it is something I lean on a lot.

Being back in the US, I was told to just keep up by boxing because finding a proper trainer would be near impossible. And, it has been. The only really good trainers for my art are like in Las Vegas and California. I do not live there, so boxing is what it has been ever since I came back to the US.

I've never really progressed much. Sure, I can throw some hard hitting combos, but boxing isn't street fighting. And, I can easily catch a jab or a hook and turn it around by elbowing someone to their face or bringing them to my knee.

Now, I'm with Coach Jonesly. He is practical. He is quick. He got into martial arts almost the same reason I did. Because getting into fights when you grow up in rough areas means you need to defend yourself.

We went through basics today. Tweaking what boxing moves were into practical street moves. Combining what we both know from martial arts and boxing into something that works. Addressing all my issues I have with boxing and showing how to counter and take advantage of all the openings a typical boxer has.

I found it super interesting when we focused on uppercuts. Because when I came back to the US, I had to "re-learn" uppercuts and hooks. How I learned them in Filipino Martial Arts (FMA) was slightly different than in boxing. In FMA, we are always concerned about having any openings, especially in the legs. In boxing, there's no concern for how when you twist your body for power that you are essentially leaving open your whole sciatic nerve in your thigh. So, you know what I had to do today? Re-learn how to do uppercuts and hooks like how I was originally taught.

And, this... this is where it got fun.

Every move you do should be setting up your next move. Each punch into the next, then possibly into a kick. Using my whole body for a fight. That... that was fun. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, forward kick, uppercut, low kick... we finished it with 2 jabs. Realistically, it would be on the ground next.

My shins are bruised. I have not done MMA style kicks in 10 years. I have to build up my shins again. At least I think this time there will be no repeated bare skin kicks to canvas bags then to wood poles. There will be no shin pads still, but we will be at least using pads lol.

Jonesly has set goals for the end of our 10 sessions. Goals that I have never really considered ever meeting until now. This means I have work to do aside from everything else.

By June 13th, I am to do (currently, I'm sure he's going to add a bunch of other things)

50 strict non-scaled push-ups

20 Non-Scaled Raised Bent Knee Sit-ups

This.. this will be interesting.

17 hours ago, RenFengge said:

Every move you do should be setting up your next move. Each punch into the next, then possibly into a kick. Using my whole body for a fight. That... that was fun. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, forward kick, uppercut, low kick... we finished it with 2 jabs. Realistically, it would be on the ground next.

Whilst its sounding super hard and something I wouldn't normally do, i'm really backing you all the way...it sounds like you're being trained into a real life Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat king by understanding how to link combos together! I always think if you can take some before and after videos (just for yourself btw) to remind you how far you've come from when you do one punch/kick, to eventually a combo of actions. Good for the soul 🤗

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Whilst its sounding super hard and something I wouldn't normally do, i'm really backing you all the way...it sounds like you're being trained into a real life Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat king by understanding how to link combos together! I always think if you can take some before and after videos (just for yourself btw) to remind you how far you've come from when you do one punch/kick, to eventually a combo of actions. Good for the soul 🤗

Funny you should say "Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat". My current boxing Coach (Marcus) was commenting on my " muscular thunder thighs" during our last session when he was massaging them out. I said, "Just think of them like Chung Li's thighs. Them thighs were monsters! And, would kick you into oblivion."

But, nah... as much as I would like to be able to throw down like White Canary in the Arrowverse or any of the video game characters, there are physical attributes that I will never nail perfectly. You have to train basically when you start walking as a toddler to get the proper footing to consistently land and string long combo moves together. I will lose my balance after the 5th or 6th move. Jonesly is countering that by giving me a time to reset using a forward kick with jabs.

My training is to get me somewhat competent for if/when I do need to defend myself. I cannot tell you how painful it was the first few times I got jumped as a kid and not know how to make it stop. Nor how many times when I was in the Philippines that it took for me to go from getting punched during a random street test to being fully aware of my surroundings to be able to appropriately block or counter the first move. My coach (Tabimina) in the Philippines was all about practicality. He is the same age as my father, so he grew up during the martial law. Being able to street fight was as important as breathing. So, even if I was not in a training session, I could get "jumped" at any time. I will tell you that the one time I got sliced by a knife, I promptly learned how to block and evade that move moving forward.

Coach Jonesly is of the same mindset as Tabimina. This, I guess, happens when you grow up in areas that dictate survival via physicality. 

As for taking videos? Lol. Nah... I already know my footwork is garbage. I don't need confirmation of that haha. When I can finish a full 3-minute round without wanting to die, that will be my celebratory marker.

But, in regards to my squat clean workshops... because this weightlifting move is hella technical to improve numbers, I don't think I can get away with not getting videos. So, I will be making necessary preparations for that to be a bit more comfortable with the videos. I thoroughly hated watching each one after each lift this past Saturday.

My sensei from way back (ex-Singapore police and reserve SAS) drummed it into us  "First option..walk away, second option.. run away...if options 1 and 2 fail, take as many of the feckers down with you as you can"..thankfully, I've never had to use any of those options.

With regard to the weightlifting videos, just try and remember your coaches are not judging you as a person, they're critiquing your technique with a view to improving it. 👍

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

48 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

My sensei from way back (ex-Singapore police and reserve SAS) drummed it into us  "First option..walk away, second option.. run away...if options 1 and 2 fail, take as many of the feckers down with you as you can"..thankfully, I've never had to use any of those options.

This.. this is so important. And, it's something I never thought about until I started training when I was 19. It was amazing how much combat training tempered me.

But, yes. avoidance at all costs if possible... if you have to fight, then do so... and my mentality is "I'll fight you for about 5 - 10 seconds if I must, but I'm doing it to break you down enough so I can run the f*ck away". 😂 This is why I always save up some energy and not go all out in anything I do lol. I need energy to run away!

4/14/2021 Workout

21 Minute EMOM (every minute on the minute)

• Minute 1 --> 10 Calorie Row
  • Minute 2 --> 15 Deadlifts (105lbs)
  • Minute 3 --> 50 high single jump rope

Thoughts: Last week, I guess I went pretty hard... to the point that on early Monday, I cancelled my gym session due to lack of proper sleep. Then, I thought "Nope. Not Tuesday either". Then, Wednesday at 3AM, I cancelled again!

I really wanted to do Monday's and Wednesday's workouts.. But I was too exhausted, I guess.

At 4:30PM, I messaged my coach and said, "I'm debating on showing up for 6:30PM."

He said, "Do it. This is a workout you need. Just a good breather but fun with the deadlifts."

I looked to see how many people signed up for 6:30PM.. Still only 1 other person. Okay. Should be fine. I shouldn't feel too much anxiety in dealing with new people then.

I walked into the gym at 6:15PM. Coach James said, "You made it! Good. Because we actually made this workout for you."

I said, "Well, that was unnecessary. Not like I'm someone who needs a special challenge. We all know I have zero cardio."

Two other people showed up. Good, quiet, nice people. The red-haired lady was slightly bubbly and reminded me of Blossom from the Powerpuff Girls. The other guy was quiet and gruff. Very focused. Happy to stay in his box lol.

Coach James went through the workout. He said, "I want you to cap yourself at 30 - 40 seconds to give yourself some time to rest and transition."

My response, "I was already going to do that anyway."

Coach James, "This is why we made this workout just for you."

I actually enjoy these types of endurance workouts. The weightlifting tends to be when I rest. The deadlifts were a good way for me to work on my grip strength as the weight was not a problem... it's holding on through all 15 reps.

Definitely glad that I went to an evening work out. Currently enjoying the soreness. I was going to do a rowing workout this morning, but husband likes to once in a while remind me to not completely overdo it lol. So, I slept instead.

4/17/2021 Workout

Squat Clean Workshop

High Hang:

• 5x3
  • 3x3
  • 3x1

Hang:

• 5x3
  • 3x3
  • 3x1

Ground:

• 5x3
  • 3x3
  • 3x1

Complex --> Ground, then Hang, then High Hang 2x3

Thoughts: 75 reps before the complex. I walked in, looked at the board, and thought "Ummm... Coach Tim put some serious thought into it today." Also, "Hahaha.. you want how many reps before stringing it together and ending with the high hang clean? HAHAHAHAH."

So, obviously, we did not go heavy. Built weight to something heavy enough to properly perform each movement. So, for me that was 105lbs.

As much as I hated this, I needed this. Because one of my biggest issues with cleans is transitioning to the shrug extension. Made some improvements. Nowhere near where I want to be. But, some improvements. I so desperately want to do the renovation on our house where I can blow out the exterior wall of the room and work out/do lifts outside. I can't do these types of lifts in the current space. I can.. but not safely lol. One day... one day.