RenFengge's 2021 Fitness PPR

RenFengge

Out of sheer laziness of not wanting to do a blog but still needing a place to hold myself accountable, this is going to be my place to track myself in my 2021 health goals (in addition to doing some online "bet" with a large [like couple of grand] winner pot).

What will be in subsequent posts: Workouts. Goal progress. Random babbling.

Fair warning, I babble online a lot when I have an online outlet. I prefer writing.

Background: I have struggled a lot since I can remember on physical weight and perception. I'm Asian, and I grew up in a culture that prized women to be as skinny as possible and as fair-skinned as possible. So, between my mother commenting on how fat I was (when in reality, I wasn't but I did not realize that at the time), to my father doing his best to undo the mental damage of that whenever he was home from business trips, let's just say I had a rather unhealthy relationship with food until I was 20. I barely ate due to being afraid to eat and also not having much money, and if I did, it was not the best thing, but it was what I could afford or what someone gave me.

Unintentionally, I developed much healthier habits when I was stuck in the Philippines for a year. Between combat martial arts training and just eating real food, I found a sense of peace in it. Nutrition is a rabbit hole I can dive into for hours and days.

So, I've gone back and forth between being relatively healthy and being utterly lazy. Basically, when I stop fitting into my clothes comfortably, I start getting back into my health routine. I've been getting back into it since August of 2020. I have two doctors who keep tabs on me. One who I see on an almost weekly basis. Two coaches who really hold me accountable on not slacking and putting in the work. And, now, this plus my year-end goal to complete to move onto my next goal. The goals are related. I can't do the next part without completing this.

Current: I'm starting today with the initial weigh-in. The online bet has a 6-month goal of losing 10% weight. Based on what I know about myself, I can safely and mostly easily lose that. The next (final) 10% will be more difficult, but it will be a healthy weight. Overall, I'm more focused on measurements than weight. I had a doctor in my teen years who noted that I was at a perfect weight based on medical knowledge, but it did not physically work for me (body fat percentage was too low).

Exercise Programming:

• HIIT workouts 2x a week (social)
  • Boxing workout 1x a week (social)
  • Weights 1x a week with some added cardio (home)

Nutrition improvements:

• Intermittent fasting with an 8 hour window to eat
  • Keto/carb cycling for my sanity (keto-paleo fan, but I've learned that I do a lot better when I cycle it)
  • Keeping the dairy but lowering consumption
  • Focusing on high-quality versus quantity

1/2/21 Workout

*Note --> none of my workout posts will include warm ups and cool downs. My warm ups are specific to my issues like right shoulder knots, lower back tightness, calf tightness... in addition to usual warm ups.

Functional focus with some cardio

Buy In --> 100 single unders (or 50 double unders)

5 Rounds

Forward Crawl 10 feet

Reverse Crawl 10 feet

Right Lunge

2 Air Squats

Left Lunge

2 Air Squats

Reverse Crawl 10 feet

Modified Gorilla Crawl 10 feet

Walk back 10 feet

High Knees 10 feet

Reverse Crawl 10 feet

Cash Out --> 100 single unders (or 50 double unders)

Last Call --> 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 25 air squats

Thoughts: I truly hate cardio.

7 minutes ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

Yes!!! Get it girl! We want pics and videos every session. I’m going to follow this to make sure I keep up with your progress 👌

Pics and videos? Lolz. I don't even let darling husband take photos of me hahah. 

I have also actively stopped in the middle of a movement if I saw my trainer trying to do either to me hahaha.

Also, did the thread because I figured I would join you in this!

32 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

Pics and videos? Lolz. I don't even let darling husband take photos of me hahah. 

I have also actively stopped in the middle of a movement if I saw my trainer trying to do either to me hahaha.

Also, did the thread because I figured I would join you in this!

I found this space so useful to track my training. Spreadsheets are fun and all that but there’s nothing quite like some words and feelings!

signatures small.jpg

Love seeing new things like this. Nice to pop in and see how you're doing - let me know how it helps the motivation finding the time to write up how you got on each workout 👍

Did my 5:15AM HIIT workout today. Sometimes, what my coaches program leave me with anxiety. This week is actually more to my liking.

1/5/21 Workout

20 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible)

• 10 ring rows
  • 10 ball slams
  • 15 leg raises
  • 20 box jumps

Thoughts: Yup, still really hate cardio. But, I prefer old-school HIIT like this. I'll do box jumps faster than step ups. I'll do rowing before running. Apparently, some movements, I just move better if they are the more difficult versions. Have zero clue how many rounds I did. I stopped counting after 6. There was a point when I was about to do the ball slams, and I just did a single one. Had to catch my breath from previous movements. The coach turned around and said, "Sooo.. that's 1." 

Post-workout, he said to me that today was the fastest he's seen me move... so far. I've only been with him for 4 months. He, the other coach, and I have this "joke"/understanding that I always move at half-speed. Always. For me, I have a mental barrier to really go 100% in my HIIT. I'm literally just trying to survive lol. So, no, I don't think I will ever go 100% like some of the others.

d97.jpg

I might consider doing some jump rope later just to make it a full cardio day. 

22 hours ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

WE NEED MORE WEIGHTS! More weights, more dates! More Row, more hoes! More bench, more hench......you see where I'm going with this right? 🙂

Love weightlifting. I have a decent Rogue setup at home. 

Current PRs that I need to get back to are:

Back squat - 255lb

Deadlift - 260lb

Front squat - 215lb

Snatch - 145lb

Looks like we have some weightlifting on Friday at the HIIT gym. However, I might do my weight session tonight at home before gaming.

My weak spots aren't weightlifting, so I'm trying to focus more on just not dying during cardio lolol. Cardio and core are my major major weaknesses. Ask me to punch or kick or lift something, sure. Ask me to run 500m? Lolz. (I'll happily row 500m.. as that's part of the warm up)

Here we go... first weightlifting session since... June 2020? My numbers aren't where they were, but I know the strength comes back pretty quickly. Took it a little easy on the upper body since I'm still trying to work out my right shoulder issue/imbalance. Did not go to failure on the squats as I like to have a spotter when I go heavy.

1/6/2021 Workout

Buy in: 1000m row

Strict Press

5 reps @ 45lbs

5x4 @ 65lbs

Back Squat

5x4 @ 65lbs

5 reps @ 75lbs

5 reps @ 95lbs

5 reps @ 115lbs

5 reps @ 125lbs

5 reps @ 135lbs

5 reps @ 155lbs

Cash out: 500m row and 25 sit ups

Thoughts: I really need to install a small TV in my gym. But, also, I always hate when my lifting numbers are low. But, I still remember when I thought 115lbs was heavy. At least it's not all terrible? We have power snatches and wall balls on Friday too... I also kept that in mind when doing this. Didn't want to be too sore going in for that at 5AM. Last thought --> really grateful for the cold. I hate being hot lol.

On 1/7/2021 at 8:01 AM, Middle Class Caveman said:

Love the idea of the buy in and cash out!

It's a good way to get the blood flowing for the workout... in addition to the warm-ups... And, at least add a little cardio in it. I find it an easy way to not tax my muscles before a lifting session, but at least tax my lungs more than a lift session would.

Another 5AM HIIT workout. But, actually 2 of my favorite movements as I don't think I could actually f*ck it up if I don't want heavy things crashing into my face and head.

1/8/2021 Workout

Barbell weight = 45lbs

Medicine ball weight = 14lbs

15 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible)

• 3 power snatches
  • 3 wall balls
  • 6 power snatches
  • 6 wall balls
  • 9 power snatches
  • 9 wall balls
  • 12 power snatches
  • 12 wall balls

Thoughts: First, the new COVID strain is officially in my state, so I'm juggling thoughts on putting gym sessions on hold and keeping up with things at home instead. It's not like I didn't already know it was here. I said the same thing in early January 2020 when COVID started officially spreading in the US. My thought was "if you think it's not already here in our towns and cities everywhere, you're absolutely wrong." I know it's here. I just don't want to give up my very very very small 5AM gym class of 4 people.

Anyway. Today's session was led by our gym's lifting coach. I've seen the other members. They are absolutely better with endurance than I am, but I'm built vastly differently than them. With exception of 1 guy, it does not seem like there are any real... weightlifters in our gym.

For the workout, since it's a HIIT workout and I already did strict presses and squats on Wednesday, the weights were light. I actually started at 65lbs, but after the first set, I knew that I would not finish 2 rounds of this if I didn't go lighter. He wanted them quick, and I refuse to sacrifice form for speed. 45lbs it is.

The coach was so intrigued by my power snatch form that he pestered me the whole session. When I mean pester, I mean that he kept his eye on me and kept saying to the others to watch and mimic my form. This is not something I enjoy. I specifically pick my spot in the gym to be out of sight lol.

All in all - as much as I hate being out of breath, I did enjoy today's workout. Give me a HIIT with barbells, and I'm usually happy.

Last note --> stairs are not going to be my friend later today or tomorrow lol. Boxing tomorrow should be interesting.

4 hours ago, RenFengge said:

Another 5AM HIIT workout. But, actually 2 of my favorite movements as I don't think I could actually f*ck it up if I don't want heavy things crashing into my face and head.

1/8/2021 Workout

Barbell weight = 45lbs

Medicine ball weight = 14lbs

15 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible)

• 3 power snatches
  • 3 wall balls
  • 6 power snatches
  • 6 wall balls
  • 9 power snatches
  • 9 wall balls
  • 12 power snatches
  • 12 wall balls

Thoughts: First, the new COVID strain is officially in my state, so I'm juggling thoughts on putting gym sessions on hold and keeping up with things at home instead. It's not like I didn't already know it was here. I said the same thing in early January 2020 when COVID started officially spreading in the US. My thought was "if you think it's not already here in our towns and cities everywhere, you're absolutely wrong." I know it's here. I just don't want to give up my very very very small 5AM gym class of 4 people.

Anyway. Today's session was led by our gym's lifting coach. I've seen the other members. They are absolutely better with endurance than I am, but I'm built vastly differently than them. With exception of 1 guy, it does not seem like there are any real... weightlifters in our gym.

For the workout, since it's a HIIT workout and I already did strict presses and squats on Wednesday, the weights were light. I actually started at 65lbs, but after the first set, I knew that I would not finish 2 rounds of this if I didn't go lighter. He wanted them quick, and I refuse to sacrifice form for speed. 45lbs it is.

The coach was so intrigued by my power snatch form that he pestered me the whole session. When I mean pester, I mean that he kept his eye on me and kept saying to the others to watch and mimic my form. This is not something I enjoy. I specifically pick my spot in the gym to be out of sight lol.

All in all - as much as I hate being out of breath, I did enjoy today's workout. Give me a HIIT with barbells, and I'm usually happy.

Last note --> stairs are not going to be my friend later today or tomorrow lol. Boxing tomorrow should be interesting.

12 Power snatches? 🤢

fuck that 🙈

signatures small.jpg

1 hour ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

12 Power snatches? 🤢

fuck that 🙈

It's just a different ground-to-overhead.

Heck, the whole workout was ground to overhead essentially hahaha.

My quads are somewhat angry now.

I'm a little aimless and unmotivated today, but I still tried to get something in. My boxing coach cancelled late last night as he is sick. Since I do not want to chance that it would be COVID, I'm basically not seeing him for another 2 Saturdays. It's fine. I'm prepared for that now.

Still smarting a little from yesterday's session. Had some body self care done via dry needling and chiropractor. My chiropractor goes to the same place I go to, so he went through the same workout with me haha.

Since I did not give much thought to today's impromptu workout, I thought I would just focus on my weakness being upper body and core. Did not want to ask husband to spot, so I didn't go heavy on the bench pressing. Just threw on more sets to go to near failure.

1/9/2021 Workout

Bench Press Weightlifting:

3x5 @ 45lbs

10x5 @ 65lbs 

Cardio-ish time.

Buy in: 500m row

10 rounds

10 Russian Twists @ 15lb kettlebell

10 tricep dips

10 double crunches

Cash Out: 500m row and 25 goblet squats

Thoughts: Totally one of those days where I did not want to do anything. But, there was a time where I was fine with working out 4x - 5x a week. And, the DietBet pot is at $2m. Just meeting every goal until the end makes the money incentive worth it. Short term goals need to remind me of my long term goals. I'm not completely focused on my food yet, but I'm saving that strategy for next month's interval winner's pot. I still have a healthy stash of various proteins, and all the usual food things we typically cook when we aren't fighting "hibernation mode". All in all, at least I got something done. Tomorrow, I will most likely do an active rest workout focusing on functional movements.

Week 1 down. 51 more weeks to go. Decent start, I think.

3 hours ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

How much you bench, bro? 👀

1 rep max? Barely anything worthwhile. My PR was 155lbs. I'm highly imbalanced lol. Strong legs. Terrible upper body. So, it's sort of hilarious when I do bench or snatch.

1/11/21 Workout

Functional focus with some cardio

Buy In --> 100 single unders (or 50 double unders)

5 Rounds

2 Air Squats

Modified Side Gorilla 10 feet

2 Air Squats

Modified Side Gorilla 10 feet

2 Air Squats

Side Crawl Right 10 feet

Side Crawl Left 10 feet

5 Jump Squats

Forward Crawl 10 feet

Reverse Crawl 10 feet

Cash Out --> 100 single unders (or 50 double unders)

Last Call --> 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 25 air squats

Thoughts: Yesterday's active rest day ended up being a full rest day. Needed to do something today. What's the saying? Never miss a Monday? Shoulders, delts, and lats are still slightly sore from Friday and Saturday. Nothing that would actually impede me from doing anything.

I know this week is going to be a touch more difficult in regards to my DietBet. The first week never really counts when it comes to weight (if you care, I'm down 3lbs from the January 2 weigh in. Goal for January is to be down a total of 6.2lbs to qualified for the January money pot. Yay water weight). So, again, trying to focus on the workouts to see if I can still make some progress before cracking the whip on food. And, yes, I know, food is like 90% of the game. I completely know I would be an absolute rotund ball of jiggly fat if what we ate was not as good as it is now. Fighting hibernation mode is tough. All I want is a grilled cheese with bacon currently. Or Mac & Cheese. Need to start setting up something with our farms, so I can have some grass-fed/finished steaks again.

Tomorrow's workout at the gym isn't posted... and I should sign up for it anyway. I just want to know what nonsense the coach is programming before I do lol. Classic HIIT at the gym is rarely a thing.

Nice work on getting the first week done with so much fitness in it 👊

Used to love a HIT session, shame its effin freezing outside or i'd be trying to make one up in the back garden.

23 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Nice work on getting the first week done with so much fitness in it 👊

Used to love a HIT session, shame its effin freezing outside or i'd be trying to make one up in the back garden.

You can do some HIITs inside the house! My home gym is indoors and tiny, but it works for most of the time. I can't do battle ropes, but I think I found a compact one that could work. 

Rope-copy-1024x1024.jpg
WWW.HYPERWEAR.COM

Elevate your training with the Hyper Rope unanchored battle rope, a heavy weighted rope that delivers the intensity of 50ft battle ropes in 6ft of space.

So, I had intended to do my gym's HIIT workout at home yesterday after I got back from the eye doctor. Oh, silly me. They didn't tell me when I made the appointment that they were going to dilate me. There went that. Fairly hilarious to have to text Carl that he would need to Uber over to the doctor's office, so he could drive me home. Such a waste. But, after the appointment, it ended up being an impromptu date night with some wings, pizza, and a bubble tea. (Again. I'll start really working on my food in February when I need another jolt in the weight loss to ensure I meet the second checkpoint in the DietBet)

Onto today's 5AM HIIT!

1/13/2021 Workout

8 minute EMOM (every minute on the minute):

6 power cleans @ 75lbs

THEN

50 pull-ups (scaled to jumping pull-ups/basically deficit pull-ups)

Thoughts: The usual 5AM coach (James) is back. And, I walked in today a little puzzled when I saw that my box was not set up. He said, "You're going to join the rest of us in civilization. So, I have you set up over there." Ehhhhh.. the spot he put me in is my second favorite spot anyway.. not a big deal.. but definitely more "in class".

When he started letting down the pull-up bars, I got even more concerned when he didn't swap mine out for ring rows. I let it slide initially as I thought he would swap them out later.

I.was.so.wrong.

Thus, today's workout went from me thinking I would go heavy on the cleans to "yeah. naww.... You want me to do what then do 50 pull-ups?" So, instead of doing 115lbs on the power cleans, I dropped the weight down to 75lbs. No, power cleans should not use a lot of upper body thus my shoulders, arms, and pecs should not be gassed when I do the pull-ups. But, grip is still used. And, I'm not going to lose grip while doing whatever scale of a pull-up I could do.

Coach said that he is going to get me to do strict pull-ups and a muscle up by the end of the year. So, no more ring rows for me. I basically laughed and said, "hopes and dreams over there. If you succeed, you'll be my first coach to get a non-assisted pull up out of me."

The workout wasn't terrible. But, it was not what I was anticipating. I did like it, but I also did not push myself super hard because I wasn't sure where I was going to be on pull-ups. Definitely will have a slight soreness in my shoulders and arms later. Should be good. Just means I can do something tomorrow!

The other coach (Tim) who focuses on weightlifting was there too. He was with a client. When James was winding down our class and talking about the squatting workshop they are about to start, Tim yelled, "Hey, LA! We're going to see you there, right? I'm tired of Shale being the only one who lifts heavy in these workshops." I guess I'm going to be doing a squatting workshop for 9 weeks starting the 23rd lol. I'll have to figure out cardio intensive workouts in lieu of boxing for 9 weeks.

1/15/2021 Workout

4 Rounds:

25 kettlebell sumo deadlifts @ 20kg

25 kettlebell high hang pulls @ 16kg

25 kettlebell goblet squats @ 20kg

Thoughts: Lolz. I went into the gym this morning thinking "this won't be bad. Just cardio." 

Then, James was all "12kg is too light. Let's adjust the weights for you."

So, I got through it. Not pretty. But, I got through it. It was interesting that I wasn't completely gassed when I took breaks. I took breaks because my muscles were all "yeah. no. failure." My quads were on fire. Actually, I was poking at them and thought, "Oh. those are more defined again. Hello, quads. Haven't seen you in a while."

Did my weekly weigh in for the challenge. The prize for the week is an air fryer. That would be cool. Down another pound. 14 days in, and I'm down a total of 4lbs. I'm gonna have to focus on my food sooner than anticipated. Guess we're gonna see how I do with each monthly goal if I keep to 2 "cheat" days.

I keep thinking how interesting it would be if I actually end 2021 at my goal... and how I would still have a BMI of like 26 (still considered overweight) yet have a body fat percentage of 17%. Lolz. Honestly, I haven't been that lean since college days. Would be interesting to get back to it. It's these types of thoughts that get me through my low-motivational times.

1/16/2021 Workout

Boxing, 15 rounds... with some random whatevers that I was told to do like jump rope, planks with resistance bands, ball slams.

Thoughts:

I'm restless. I'm so, completely, annoyingly restless.

Thank goodness for today's workout. I thought I would be able to channel it into keeping up... and, I sort of did? Not sure. I think I took less breaks.

I have 2 more boxing sessions before I have to re-up on them. I'm on the fence, mostly because I have the squatting workshop starting.

Today's session pushed me. But, it always does. I despise cardio. This is why I prefer combat training or boxing. It's the only way that I will keep my heart rate up for a very long length of time. I love my HIIT workouts, but doing boxing for 50+ minutes is a different animal. It's the "your opponent doesn't care if you're tired. If you don't move, you will get hit, repeatedly." My coach likes to remind me of that constantly. The moment I stop, the moment I turn my back, he's on me. So, it's either slip to the left or right, or take some body shots. We have a running joke that this isn't street fighting, as much as I would like to slip to the right then sweep his leg to end the fight.

We both have backgrounds from unsavory neighborhoods. I enjoy sparring with someone who has been in a street fight. That means they know that boxing has its weaknesses, and ones that I love to exploit. Throw your jabs, your crosses... your uppercuts and hooks. If it was a street fight, I'll slip or block, grab your head, and finish with the knee to the face. I'm not a boxer. I'm about surviving.

Anyway. I half debated to myself last night if I would cancel today's session or go through with it. I hate boxing the day after a HIIT workout. Being sore just means sloppy punches. But, I was glad I went. Disgustingly sweaty, almost raw knuckles (I don't use gloves, just wraps), out of breath when leaving. It was a good, temporary feeling as I wasn't restless at the moment. Just hungry, tired, and sore lol.

Week 2 down. 4 pounds down since the start. Being more conscious of food starts today, unfortunately lol. Only way to cut the fat but keep the muscle.

1/18/2021 Workout

Weight lifting

Bench press:

3x5 @ 45lbs

3x5 @ 65lbs

5x5 @ 75lbs

Back Squats (finding 1 rep max. Haven't seriously squatted in a few years. Prior PR of 260lbs)

3x5 @ 135lbs

3x5 @ 155lbs

3x5 @ 165lbs

1x1 @ 185lbs

Thoughts: I'm officially stuck at home for at least 2 weeks now. With the exception of leaving the house to drop off my weekly COVID test. Husband has caught COVID, and my tests are still coming back negative. Curious lol. I have the weaker immune system, typically, yet he gets it.

Anyway. My HIIT coach told me to do the workouts at home that are posted on the site. And, I had full intention of doing that yesterday. Except... I hate cardio. And Mondays. And, aside from what seems to be me doing weights and/or Centr workouts on Mondays, I instead opted for weights lol. I wanted to see how much strength I lost since I haven't really back squatted in a long time. I wanted to be at least at 200lbs. I guess that's not in the cards. 185lbs is not terrible. It's just not what I wanted. (also, no one ever includes moving the weights on and off the bar and putting weights away as part of the workout. THEY SHOULD! hahaha)

Regarding my lift sets/reps, I'll be doing a 5x5 program in addition to the squat workshop programming that starts on Saturday. 5 is my favorite number, and the program itself is like drilled into my head.

As for my weight and food - I couldn't help but weigh myself this morning. My next weigh in isn't really until this Thursday, but I sort of had a few handfuls of tiny cookies that are size of a coin... and I wanted to see how badly that affected me. (This is a dangerous rabbit hole for myself. I am thoroughly aware. But, the fact that keto keeps me in line and not go anorexic is a blessing.) Luckily for me, I didn't gain actually.. I'm actually below my 1 month target weight. Just means it will get harder and stricter.

Also on food, I really do not do well on Intermittent Fasting. It's not that I can't do it. I absolutely can. But, lots of people forget that IF really f*cks with women's hormones. Works wonders for men. Just not for women. Looks like we will be doing "IF" sort of... with the exception of morning coffee/tea/whatever being a fat bomb instead of no calorie.

@Middle Class Caveman  wanted a photo. Here's a photo of my weights at 185lbs lol.

image.thumb.png.a402f98c909e2d09dab515931a2ccf27.png