Magazines

Spacedeck

I realise these are dying out for the most part but does anyone still buy / read these?  My brother recently signed up to Readly and kindly offered me to use it.

I do like reading things like "Cross-Stitcher" as it often contains designs I wouldn't mind doing.  I recently have done some reading of "PlayStation Official Mag", "RetroGamer" and "PC Gamer".  The idea these magazines can usually be read digitally on one subscription that allows access to so many different publications is pretty impressive.

I'm subscribed to 2000AD and occasionally I pick up digital comics.

Other than that, not really, too many adverts annoy me. Well, any adverts at all annoys me. Many of these publications are funded this way and end up just being marketing tools. They lose what makes them special. 

I'm the same with gaming websites. I used to visit IGN daily 10 years ago, for example, but cannot remember the last time I went there. Thrse days it just feels like one giant advertisement. 

But my disappointment with magazines is nothing new. Go back to the late 80s. I used to buy White Dwarf when I was around 11 years old as it featured lots of great roleplaying articles from all games, but then it went in-house, they shut down sister magazine Warlock and focused exclusively on Games Workshop games in White Dwarf. Great if you only like Warhamner but pretty shit for everyone else. 

I'm rambling, sorry😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I got a subscription to Custom PC as a Christmas present..looking forward to the first issue plopping through the letterbox soon but oddly enough it will be marked as February 2021 🤣🤣

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I used to buy "Total Guitar" magazine all the time when I was younger and enjoyed some of the articles,tabs and gear and rigs to swoon over.

As time went on I played a lot less and was better off keeping the 5 quid. I could Google tabs and images of dreamy setups and save the money instead.

Did like the playstation mags when I was even younger (PS1 Days) things like Total Gamer as well. 

Also the odd FHM and Nuts mag not gonna lie 😂

Haven't bought a magazine in over 10 years of any sort at least.

If you are into specific hobbies like fishing or science, railways etc I can imagine they are good still. A dying art I think for the most part.

On 12/29/2020 at 7:57 PM, IRaMPaGe said:

Also the odd FHM and Nuts mag not gonna lie 😂

I remember those days too mate 🤣

I used to read Gamesmaster back in the day and would love to get into them again, however I think its been pointed out the adverts take up most space but more importantly I suppose I went there for new insightful bits and bobs e.g. Guides, new games, new bits, etc which is now on big t'internet these days. I actually think places like ours here does a better job of getting things across too because it feels more real whereas places like IGN sometimes feel way too forced, which then you lose that originality on why you loved it in the first place.

Are there any Magazines in the gaming world still worth a punt? I think I'd go for physical copies if there is one worthwhile.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I remember those days too mate 🤣

I used to read Gamesmaster back in the day and would love to get into them again, however I think its been pointed out the adverts take up most space but more importantly I suppose I went there for new insightful bits and bobs e.g. Guides, new games, new bits, etc which is now on big t'internet these days. I actually think places like ours here does a better job of getting things across too because it feels more real whereas places like IGN sometimes feel way too forced, which then you lose that originality on why you loved it in the first place.

Are there any Magazines in the gaming world still worth a punt? I think I'd go for physical copies if there is one worthwhile.

Ahhh Gamesmaster I forgot about that one! It had great walkthroughs and cheats as well. It was Iconic especially in those PS1/2 days.

And your right with the t,internet available a lot of these mags are not as relevant which is a shame.