Recently Completed and Verdict

Spacedeck

I'm not sure we have one of these? I couldn't find anything through search.

Which games have you completed and what did you think of them?

Yesterday I completed 'Horizon Zero Dawn' on PS4. I absolutely love this game, the machines, the world, the soundtrack and story. It's a masterpiece that everyone needs to play.  I don't have the DLC but I might hold off buying that and buy the Complete Edition game DRM free on GOG, so worth replaying.

On 12/19/2020 at 5:45 PM, Spacedeck said:

I'm not sure we have one of these? I couldn't find anything through search.

Which games have you completed and what did you think of them?

Yesterday I completed 'Horizon Zero Dawn' on PS4. I absolutely love this game, the machines, the world, the soundtrack and story. It's a masterpiece that everyone needs to play.  I don't have the DLC but I might hold off buying that and buy the Complete Edition game DRM free on GOG, so worth replaying.

I started Horizon and got quite far but could never shake the feeling it should be played with a mouse and keyboard. If you ever see it cheap, let me know!

Great idea for a thread by the way as I think most ppl usually put these in PPRs.

Surprised no-one thought of this before😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Even though I'd previously completed the game years ago, me and my daughter played through Knack in 3 sittings and she completed the final fight tonight. Difficulty was on Easy but I'm super impressed with what she's shown me. I have always felt like this game got more hate than it deserved.  For me it was a pretty enjoyable experience, the only thing I've always said is the game just feels a few chapters too long.

As she's only 4, I really can't expect much from her in games and it's something she's only just starting to get used to.  We started out on Little Big Planet 3, learning the most basic controls of jumping and moving around the screen, then we was able to look more at things like jumping and grabbing and other things which isn't too complicated.  Well after practicing this for a few days, we decided to give Knack a try in co-op.  To my surprise she picked this up fairly quickly, probably helped by her time on LBP.  Co-op mode is great in this game as you can give the main controller to the young one and you control a side Knack, one who doesn't fail a level when he dies with unlimited respawns.  I used this to my advantage by doing a lot of the heavy fighting in groups.  The thing about co-op is the camera is locked to the main Knack character and if you travel too far from Knack, you respawn back next to him.  Great fun in co-op if you ever want to introduce someone young to gaming.

HZD is a fantastic game that I'm glad I waited on for the expansion to come out. It completely engrossed me in ways that not many games do. For example, I actually read almost EVERY SINGLE PIECE of lore in the world when I found them. I rarely do that. I love the games I play, and I generally enjoy the lore. But, you won't catch me reading every single piece of Dragon Age lore found in that world. And, I love Dragon Age.

Guerrilla Games knocked it out of the pack with HZD and going against everything they knew. HZD is what happens when a studio takes it time and isn't forced into weird engines or demands :: cough cough :: Frostbite and micro transactions :: cough cough ::

I think Days Gone is a sleeper game. When I saw the announcement trailer, I thought, "Oh look. another zombie game.. how boring."

Wrong.. I was.so.wrong.

Are the characters interesting? They aren't the most interesting. I find the main character to be more immature than I prefer. I find some of the plot points to be... a reach. But, the overall story? Decent enough.

But the gameplay? Wow. Just like how HZD makes you pay attention to the environment and sounds for the sake of hunting and survival, so does Days Gone. You think you're safe hunting whatever, but you might not be paying attention to the sound cues that a hoard is coming and will chase and eat you. Sometimes, two hoards may merge into 1. Sometimes, you can be clever enough to use a hoard to your advantage. Sometimes, you just might be riding around and then get tackled by a super fast and terrifying zombie. Who knows? And, that's the beauty of it.

But, the most interesting thing on Days Gone is that it is set in the SAME universe as Syphon Filter. I never played it, but I think that's really awesome.

I completed HZD during winter of 2017.

I completed FFXV winter of 2018.

I completed Days Gone last winter.

This winter will be Ghost of Tsushima. Winter is when I play engrossing games. If there's a lull in my winter gaming, it's because there's nothing worth my actual time. I play other games for the sake of community, but not because I hold them in as high regard as GOTY games.

The Turing Test.  This is a puzzle game and honestly, it's worth a play through. The puzzles are simply just putting things in the right order, at the right time.  It doesn't compare to the likes of Portal and honestly I was a little disappointed in the puzzles difficulty.  Most of them don't take much thinking thought to get right, some I swear I didn't do as was intended but got the end result anyway.  Graphically it looks great and plays really well, I completed main story (no optional side puzzles) in about 5 hours.  I probably wouldn't buy this at full price but if you grab it in the sales, it's worth giving it a chance.

Knack 2 - Easy mode, co-op

I'm in the minority when I say I enjoyed the original Knack.  It wasn't perfect but I didn't think it deserved some of the criticism it received.  Knack 2 expands on Knack 1 and does things so much better.  New enemies, new skill system introduced, new challenges, new gameplay mechanics. Overall it's an improvement over Knack and a big one at that.

So the first play through was in co-op mode on Easy, playing with my daughter.  Co-op mode has been improved massively.  Now you play as two individual Knack's, player two taking on the roll of a blue coloured Knack.  In comparison to Knack (original game), player two felt like a shadow of Knack, you would always teleport back to player one's position if you left the screen, there was no collecting of sandstones to use powerful moves and if player two dies, you just respawn but if player one dies, it's back to the last checkpoint, regardless of if player two is still alive.  Co-op felt disconnected. 

Now in Knack 2, you play as two. Whoever is in the lead will take the camera, you both collect sandstone crystals and can use powerful moves, if you both die then you have to restart at the last checkpoint but respawning is still a thing, providing you aren't both dead at the same time.  You both now feel an interaction between you, the game and the other player.

There is some new mechanics at work in Knack 2. You have button pressing sequences which even in co-op, both players need to press the corresponding buttons to advance. In co-op, if one fails to press the button in time, then the next attempt when one player pushes the button, it activates for both players.  But with a few buttons to press in a row, this can mean redoing these a few times (especially with young children who might not hit the buttons in time).

Difficulty has ramped up with this release, new tricky platforming, more enemies who seem to take much more to damage, large group fights.  The story and game also doesn't feel like it's dragging out, something I felt Knack had an issue with mid to late game.  Great game overall and well worth playing, especially with young children.  Although a young child gaming on their own, who might struggle with some of Knack 2's new platforming, may still opt to play Knack as it's much more simple.

I've been playing The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for around 2 months and finally completed the story today.  Great atmosphere, enemies, characters and story.  Controls as everyone knows by now is the big let down. At times can be unresponsive, time based click combat you get used to.  I think it took me around 80-90 hours to finish.