Cyberpunk 2077 - First Impressions

GazzaGarratt

Just had an hour before sleepy phil went to beddy byes.

The game looks amazing on ultra settings. Nvidia tried to suggest I use medium settings which I laughed at. With everything turned up I struggle to get above 50 frames but a mixture of high and ultra seems the sweet spot for me. I imagine with ray tracing it must look even better. Watched the Digital Foundry vid and they think the way ray tracing is used for lighting is the best they've ever seen.

Nomad character to start with. I like the conversation options and the time limit to provide a response before the npc and conversation move on. My guy is taking no shit from the off. My car is a wreck but driving seems ok.

That's all I'll say for now. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Graphics on the bog standard PS4 not as good as I expected, but they aren't bad. Might also be down to my shit monitor though. Overall I'm not a fan of the hacking or stealth mechanics, they will definetly take some time getting used to for me. Combat is decent, but I need to figure out if you can outright buy ammo as I keep running out 😅

I love that your lifepath option comes into play during conversations and also that you get more options at times depending on what you put skill points into.

Inventory UI is kind of meh... Bit too unorganized and cluttered for me and kind of hard to navigate at first but I'll probably get used to it. Not really explored a whole lot, just kept going with missions at the start so I'm really excited to look around Night city properly later. Loving the story and the characters so far and there seems to be a lot of sidemissions you can do as well as a ton of random events around the city. I'm sure once I've played more my opinion on things might change, but we'll see. Definetly enjoying it so far!

Done just over an hour so far and it's way too early to judge however as Chaos said above, the UI is way too busy and had similar performance issues to Phil but those improved once I toned down the shadows. Disabling chromatic abboration, film grain, depth of field, motion blur and lens flare also makes the game look far cleaner - I really hate all these headache-inducing post-process effects. I also must have pressed the action button 200 times already and I'm not too keen on the writing style so far. It does look great though and I'm sure I'll get into it. Cannot wait to see what the bugs are though🤣

054E7335FAC6F937EE7A9B6AC1BFB8FD181EF30B

350A22CFCA06CE120D44E2E7656FF9FD8346BA88

C5C3B0B3BE45181C3A7593477AE13173C5848A59

WTF is this?!! Please don't say this is exactly what it looks like on a PS4?!!! @LordBaguette yours this bad?

This is funny, hilarious and sad all in one moment.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

16 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

WTF is this?!! Please don't say this is exactly what it looks like on a PS4?!!! @LordBaguette yours this bad?

Not seen that yet but I've had 3 crashes in less than an hour. Enough to take you out of the game completely and spoilt it tbh

cba

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Yeah haven't had chance to try it yet but not liking what I'm reading 🤔

What it can do....if you have deep pockets!

Spoiler...it's not very good on 8K as it wasn't designed for that, but some of the other settings...🤢

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Performance seems to have improved in the seemingly more demanding areas which is very weird. Game itself has also got better but there are definitely a lot of bugs particularly with NPC's. Combat is pretty woeful and not too indifferent from Deus Ex Human Revolution. The menu interface is very convoluted and needlessly complex - takes a lot of getting used to along with all the items and their functions. Seems like they've tried too hard at times. Anyhow, I've gone more into the city now and it looks staggering at times

374428BE142249A8DCC2DAE07D6F5E02D5DD3313

483F5310996F3F7DF887503E88D159D666B4E2F4

C3F18FE6EAAAFAF8A87C7E321EA7B853C3921789

D6D964D9E08993A435813C6FC5D7522A5B8F6286

228B6C622A8613EB399167B8AE9305DAC3374C7D

The story is very weak - I seem to be doing things and I don't know why. The characters are also pretty bland and I'm not really sold on the writing either. Jackie seems good but I feel like I've missed something. At the start of the game it advances 6 months but the mistake they made is not communicating anything from this period because it's clear a lot of it is relevant to what I'm doing now. 

Just finished a mission which had quite a bit of combat in it towards the end and I must say it was an absolute catastrophe. The aiming is wonky as hell, gunplay and bullet effects are terrible, AI is laughable and the mechanics feel very clunky. Jackie also kept getting in the way when I was shooting and wouldn't shut the hell up talking. My character kept colliding/clipping with bodies and debris on the floor which was very frustrating.  The AI spams grenades so even in cover you aren't safe but this is also a pretty effective (and cheap) way to fight rather than wasting bullets. 

This aspect just feels so dated and poorly implemented. 

The shooting feels good up until the moment you pull the trigger. Once you do it feels very arcadey. Hopefully it improves with better guns and perks...but I agree feels like the last deus ex and unsatisfying right now.

I'm mostly looting everything in sight before each stage of each mission. There's plenty of ammo that way.

Not had a single bug encounter so far, touching wood as I write that. Permission is granted to take that out of context.

Looks great, Nvidia changed it's mind and decided on a mix of high and ultra after all. Getting 60 to 80 fps, mostly in the 60s.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Just to add, while I've only played a few hours, I like the game very much. I think it's very immersive and it goes at a fairly swift pace. Almost too quick. I'm playing on Hard difficulty so I'm save gaming fairly frequently too.

I'm still focused on shooting but...using other means to my ends as well.

Killing an android npc by hacking him and making him commit suicide is not something I ever thought I'd be doing in a game. For example.

Really thought they'd manage 4k on the PS4 Pro, but as DF remind us, it was a similar story with Witcher 3 to begin with. Whether they will continue to work on fixing the PS4 version is another matter...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Another thing I love about this game are all the references to pop culture. Some of the missions being named after famous songs always tickles me the right way and I also did a sidemission which basicly pays tribute to a scene from the US version of The Office, fucking brilliant.

Also had my first actual bug that wasn't just the game crashing. Went into a building where someone laid a trap for me and shut the garage door behind me so I couldn't leave until the target in there was dead. Fair enough... Except the target could glitch through the closed garage door. Luckily a nearby gangmember killed him while I was trapped inside 🤣 I've got the footage of it saved as well.

I'm starting to fall in love with this game, just exploring out of mission is a blast. I seem to have escaped any bugs other than a weird rag doll moment from someone I bravely shot in the back while they were in a fight with the NCPD.

I've had some upgrades, plus better guns and the shooting is feeling better. 

I hope they've sorted the PS4 version with last night's update.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Where to begin. The good. The game is beautiful. I play almost max settings 4K, 60-70 FPS on PC and the visuals are stunning. The amount of detail in the game, surroundings, nightlife, day time, all of it looks amazing. The story. So far it’s fantastic. I’m a little bit into act 2 and so far I’m really digging it. It’s not on Naughty Dogs level but still very good. Gameplay feels good (not gunplay). I love how it flows from dialogue and transitions into gameplay seamlessly. TLOU2 did a really excellent job at that as well and I hope it’s the bar for future games in the genre.

The genre. The bad. Well kind of. This game was promoted as an immersive RPG but in all honesty it’s an action adventure game. You’re naturally involved in the dialogue but it’s not like your choices effect important outcomes. The game is missing a karma like feature. Where your actions and reputation have rewards and consequences. The bad. While the city and landscape looks and feels amazing the NPC’s not so much. There’s no real interactions with normal people walking around. Everyone is just there. It feels very stale in that regard. There’s very little depth there and it’s pretty sad. They could’ve really knocked it out the park on that front but it fell flat. RD2 and GTAV are definitely the bar and 2077 is nowhere near that level as far as that goes. The bad. You wear what gives you the best armor but that best armor has you walking around looking like an idiot. Which I guess really doesn’t matter because the fucking game should’ve been made in the 3rd person. That’s probably my biggest gripe about the entire game. 

I’m having fun playing the game but it definitely has its faults. They should’ve just delayed until summer of 2021. With Covid they could’ve had some leeway there for sure. It’s unacceptable that they released it the way they did for PS4 and XBoxOne. If it wasn’t ready they could’ve just released it for PC then fix what they needed to to make it playable on last gen or just be honest from the get go and say hey we made a game that’s meant for high end GPUs and older consoles can’t handle it. That’s my two cents. I’m sure I left some out but you get the gist.