PS5 Pro

J4MES OX4D

6 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Inevitable really

WWW.T3.COM

A new piece of the Sony PS5 Pro puzzle just slotted into place, and the Xbox Series X should be very worried

I'd say Microsoft are doing the same. New models every year, like phones, maybe some will come pre-installed with Bixby😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

There’s a patent for it sure but I’d find it odd if that’s the route they go down. SLI and Crossfire has become a thing of the past in PC land*.  There’s always been issues with multi gpu setups but I suppose with fixed hardware it could be easier to sort out.

* With the exception of productivity type things (rendering, video encoding etc.)

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

On 12/9/2020 at 2:54 PM, Greboth said:

There’s a patent for it sure but I’d find it odd if that’s the route they go down. SLI and Crossfire has become a thing of the past in PC land*.  There’s always been issues with multi gpu setups but I suppose with fixed hardware it could be easier to sort out.

* With the exception of productivity type things (rendering, video encoding etc.)

SLI definitely wasn't viable on PC - many users who took this route usually started with one GPU and instead of upgrading to a new card, they'd buy the same one again cheap and gain more power that way. Although it worked to a degree, at its peak it wasn't even supported entirely by all games.

It could however work for a console especially if they want to get closer to 8K or push frame numbers up - it's not like they are going to upgrade GPU's mid-gen so further mass producing current PS5 cards will make AMD easy money and Sony wont have to worry about further RnD or seeking a new card for a new model of the same console. 

The amount of space required in the unit could be a big problem though on what is already a stupidly big console. Although it could work, I'd rather Sony just sat tight and see if there was an alternative way in time. Many developers may not even support or maximise such a feature either.