SBMM and the Current COD Meta

J4MES OX4D

It's crazy how COD has changed - it once was a casual shooter played at a steady pace where positioning and general gunplay were key factors to success along with a sense of awareness in the larger and less linear environments. Nowadays it's more of a sweatfest of sliding around on knees (even uphill on Cartel), bunnyhopping instead of walking/running, jumping around corners to screw the hitboxes, stimming in cover after being shot to shit, pre-aiming galore etc. The aggressive implementation of SBMM really kills a lot of the fun so if you do well, you get punished essentially. It's very hard to improve before you hit a brick wall and then likely get set back. 

Treyarch have said that SBMM has been in every COD since the original Modern Warfare but that's total bullshit. I played in many varied lobbies in the original Black Ops and I know this because I used to look at leaderboards/combat records when the timer was counting down to see who to watch and which players were weaker. If SBMM was in the game, it didn't work very well that's for sure. There's is no way in hell it was in MW2 either. I really don't know why Treyarch push this so much especially when most people don't want to be playing in such a competitive-driven experience. It's sapped so much fun of the franchise this past gen. 

Cold War may be boots on the ground and an 80's COD but it still feels like advanced movement with all the crazy stuff people can pull to get an upper hand on opponents, whether it be sliding or manipulating the lag compensation like we saw in BO4. The wonky animations in this game makes it hard enough as it is to track a player let alone if they are screwing the hitboxes through sliding, jumping or bunnyhoppiing. There is already enough artificial factors in the game which tamper with how your connection appears let alone other players being able to make it worse. 

This game would be so much better if it was built from an entirely casual standpoint where connection is prioritised with no lag comp nonsense. Jumping needs more weight and consequence and sliding really should be nerfed or taken out of the game. I've been shot at dick-level so many times by someone sliding themselves into me (this line will be in the out of context thread guaranteed) At least the dolphin dive was more of a gimmick and not a huge aspect of the core gameplay. The old COD's really nailed the mechanics I feel and everything was technically spot on particularly in the classic Modern Warfare days. Treyarch always seem to go against the grain these days. 

To add to the above, they should implement the Pick 10 system again. The fact you can run 6 perks and still have a 5 attachment primary and a 5 attachment shotty as a secondary is mental. 

Another skill which has gone is learning the spawns. The Perk 1 'Forward Intel' shows you where players are spawning for about 1 second, so you never have to learn the spawns again. Whatever happened to learning spawns, learning to control recoil etc? By making the game catered to new players so much, they're punishing better players. 

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

It's crazy how COD has changed - it once was a casual shooter played at a steady pace where positioning and general gunplay were key factors to success along with a sense of awareness in the larger and less linear environments. Nowadays it's more of a sweatfest of sliding around on knees (even uphill on Cartel), bunnyhopping instead of walking/running, jumping around corners to screw the hitboxes, stimming in cover after being shot to shit, pre-aiming galore etc. The aggressive implementation of SBMM really kills a lot of the fun so if you do well, you get punished essentially. It's very hard to improve before you hit a brick wall and then likely get set back. 

Treyarch have said that SBMM has been in every COD since the original Modern Warfare but that's total bullshit. I played in many varied lobbies in the original Black Ops and I know this because I used to look at leaderboards/combat records when the timer was counting down to see who to watch and which players were weaker. If SBMM was in the game, it didn't work very well that's for sure. There's is no way in hell it was in MW2 either. I really don't know why Treyarch push this so much especially when most people don't want to be playing in such a competitive-driven experience. It's sapped so much fun of the franchise this past gen. 

Cold War may be boots on the ground and an 80's COD but it still feels like advanced movement with all the crazy stuff people can pull to get an upper hand on opponents, whether it be sliding or manipulating the lag compensation like we saw in BO4. The wonky animations in this game makes it hard enough as it is to track a player let alone if they are screwing the hitboxes through sliding, jumping or bunnyhoppiing. There is already enough artificial factors in the game which tamper with how your connection appears let alone other players being able to make it worse. 

This game would be so much better if it was built from an entirely casual standpoint where connection is prioritised with no lag comp nonsense. Jumping needs more weight and consequence and sliding really should be nerfed or taken out of the game. I've been shot at dick-level so many times by someone sliding themselves into me (this line will be in the out of context thread guaranteed) At least the dolphin dive was more of a gimmick and not a huge aspect of the core gameplay. The old COD's really nailed the mechanics I feel and everything was technically spot on particularly in the classic Modern Warfare days. Treyarch always seem to go against the grain these days. 

💯 Agree it's tiring and boring, your essentially playing  the same game all the time. I don't know why the Devs keep this shit in when clearly it's hated by most of the people playing. Now sbmm might have been in games befor MW but it wasn't this thick, that's why breaking lobbies has been in the last 2 cods. 

SBMM has been in COD for years. BUT whatever we have now isn't what was in years ago. Chances are it's this bullshit 

Destiny_2_loot_chest.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Update, October 18: Activision say none of their microtransaction patent is currently being used.Activision say their patent, which was part of an attempt to develop a system which would us matchmaking to drive...

Activision say it was implemented but I wouldn't trust them at all. Especially when Michael Condrey said that SBMM “never directed into CoD from me”. He also explained that “Analytics, [skill-based] matchmaking, monetization, [dedicated] server coverage, [are] all driven from ATVI central tech and production teams.”

michael-condrey-cod-sbmm-modern-warfare-
WWW.DEXERTO.COM

Michael Condrey, a major creative force behind both CoD: Advanced Warfare and WWII, has shed some light on the amount of control Activision have.

The system we have now is some bullshit system where it's designed to keep players. You do well for a few games so you feel good about playing, then you do shit for a few games which puts you down a bit, and then suddenly you do well again, so the fact that you did shit doesn't bother you as suddenly you're an MLG Pro player.

fart.gif

Look at this shite. The game can adjust difficulty IN REAL TIME during a match. So if you are doing well it can make it so you need to be more accurate to actually shoot people. 

So it's not actually SBMM. Games are basically rigged. 

fart.gif

1 hour ago, MrBiron said:

Look at this shite. The game can adjust difficulty IN REAL TIME during a match. So if you are doing well it can make it so you need to be more accurate to actually shoot people. 

So it's not actually SBMM. Games are basically rigged. 

I've noticed so many instances where I've been going something like 2-9 and then suddenly finished the game with 40+ kills and less than 15 deaths. I have also been in situations where I've started brightly on a hot 10-0 streak let's say, and then finished the game with a score of 16-14 or summat. Other times my aim has been off or I haven't been able to kill someone easily and in others I have been able to melt with minimal effort. Suddenly all the bullshittery begins to make sense. 

I would love to see how EA do it for FIFA - ''player not allowed to win the match so even if the ball is on the goal line, their shot goes over the bar''

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I've noticed so many instances where I've been going something like 2-9 and then suddenly finished the game with 40+ kills and less than 15 deaths. I have also been in situations where I've started brightly on a hot 10-0 streak let's say, and then finished the game with a score of 16-14 or summat. Other times my aim has been off or I haven't been able to kill someone easily and in others I have been able to melt with minimal effort. Suddenly all the bullshittery begins to make sense. 

I would love to see how EA do it for FIFA - ''player not allowed to win the match so even if the ball is on the goal line, their shot goes over the bar''

I've noticed games of Dom like that with the halftime quite a few times. Either I've melted the first half and struggled the 2nd half or vice versa. 

Is absolutely bullshit that the Sbmm is altered even during or midgame.

I mean what chance do we have? It's hard to tell on the average games if you just had bad luck/positioning or aim or if the game has screwed you over for doing too well in previous matches.

Never in a cod in the past have I been punished for doing good. But when having a bad game, sometimes the misery is continuous or the enemy is just better.

It is obvious sometimes when the game shafts you tho, at least as time goes on it's easier to spot.

I still think the last 10 games spm graph is wonky. Sometimes it's overinflating the average by some beastly 800 SPM I don't remember having in a session.

4 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

I've noticed games of Dom like that with the halftime quite a few times. Either I've melted the first half and struggled the 2nd half or vice versa. 

Yeah that's definitely happened to me loads - I finish the first half with practically an erection and then the the second half I get buttfucked🤣 I once think I got 42 kills in Nuketown DOM in the first half and ended the match with just 49 and most of those came from killstreaks! It was like the opposition completely flipped a switch yet we had B in both halves so the second should have been just as routine to dominate. I was expecting to break my record of 60ish kills and I couldn't even get 50! 

I barely rage quit any matches and I wonder if that's down to all my 'assisted' comebacks...

10 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Yeah that's definitely happened to me loads - I finish the first half with practically an erection and then the the second half I get buttfucked🤣 I once think I got 42 kills in Nuketown DOM in the first half and ended the match with just 49 and most of those came from killstreaks! It was like the opposition completely flipped a switch yet we had B in both halves so the second should have been just as routine to dominate. I was expecting to break my record of 60ish kills and I couldn't even get 50! 

I barely rage quit any matches and I wonder if that's down to all my 'assisted' comebacks...

That's totally it! The flip has been switched. It's like the enemies aim is way better and they destroy you in 2 bullets and you have hardcore health when playing core.

I've had games when I'm 25-8 first half, then by the end of it I'm 32-26 or something. It's like the playing field has been evened to try make you on a 1kd.

Had other games when it's been a horrible half like 4-12 and I've ended 18-18.

I barely rage quit either, only a couple of times when there has been awful lag and it feels I've had no chance. I think the lag has been added during game. 

It's not right in a somewhat competitive environment, when say I'm having a nice game, I'm tactically positioning well. My aim is spot on and my general engagements have been superior to the enemies. Then it all goes to shit eventually. WTF is that? That's not a gaming experience, it's torture and rage inducing. How is that fair? Variables I can't control or account for.  😥

On 12/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

Key Treyarch dev got hacked Christmas Day on Twitter 

image.thumb.png.3d4f6d9d6529e2ff5ef821bdee49ad56.png

Pity it’s not real😂

I know right! Wish it was real, I swear some of the games recently have been sweatier than ever.

I had a daily challenge to finish, play and complete 3 Hardpoint matches. Now I had 2/3 from naturally coming up on Raid 24/7 in my selected playlists.

Today I thought I would finish the last one for the 2500xp. 

So I put on pure Hardpoint only and turned on crossplay for a laugh and my eyes were shocked. 2 German guys in a clan rank 950 and 999 master prestige. The 999 guy went to level 1000 after the game. We won the game 250-243 just and I went like 24-24 and got demolished most of the game it felt like I was the Christmas Noob! 😥

Couple of things, is anyone elses mini-map broken? I’ve played a number of games today where team mates don’t appear at all on my mini-map. I can see them on the main screen but there is no arrows or anything on the mini-map. 

second thing is am I being stupid or does ghost not really work at all. I’ve got a number of classes that are more perk based so run ghost and ninja in perk 3. The number of times I have been moving (sometimes running sometimes walking) and not shooting, the enemy has put a uav up and suddenly players have whipped round to get me. Even when you have a counter uav up people still seem to home in on you more then seems normal. 

Thirdly, I know it has been mentioned in here or in another thread but the switch flip seemingly mid map to make you go from slapping people to getting arse fucked by Mandingo or vice versa is un-fucking real!!! 
played a game of kill confirmed and I was on a 23 kill streak and the team was dominating something like 45-12 with none of the opposite team doing at all well. All of a sudden it was like a team of Scumps and Claysters were all over the map. Some poor bugger even piped up on the mic asking if it had gone super difficult for everybody else as well. I think we scrapped a 65-61 win but man it was a proper sweat fest where you pretty much had to trip team their players otherwise you were getting one bursted. 

APmVvKG.gif

2 hours ago, Dan94 said:

The DMR meta atm is the worst one yet. Absolutely mental how you can kill in 2/3 bullets in Warzone AND it uses AR ammo too 🤦‍♂️

I need to try that then 🤣 I've not played Warzone for a little while but hearing that the Mach 10 is also the go to weapon apparently.

This game is the worst cod I've ever played it's so broken, the fact people have to make second accounts, the pointless random gunfights, maps spawning in after the game has started, the Dodgy aim resist and the wierd, as jbr said way in which your fortunes flip flop not to mention the crap gun balance it's just a terrible experience. Oh and the arse maps 🤬

On 1/3/2021 at 9:57 AM, JBR-Kiwi said:

Couple of things, is anyone elses mini-map broken? I’ve played a number of games today where team mates don’t appear at all on my mini-map. I can see them on the main screen but there is no arrows or anything on the mini-map. 

second thing is am I being stupid or does ghost not really work at all. I’ve got a number of classes that are more perk based so run ghost and ninja in perk 3. The number of times I have been moving (sometimes running sometimes walking) and not shooting, the enemy has put a uav up and suddenly players have whipped round to get me. Even when you have a counter uav up people still seem to home in on you more then seems normal. 

Thirdly, I know it has been mentioned in here or in another thread but the switch flip seemingly mid map to make you go from slapping people to getting arse fucked by Mandingo or vice versa is un-fucking real!!! 
played a game of kill confirmed and I was on a 23 kill streak and the team was dominating something like 45-12 with none of the opposite team doing at all well. All of a sudden it was like a team of Scumps and Claysters were all over the map. Some poor bugger even piped up on the mic asking if it had gone super difficult for everybody else as well. I think we scrapped a 65-61 win but man it was a proper sweat fest where you pretty much had to trip team their players otherwise you were getting one bursted. 

The minimap is a new thing for me, I haven't noticed it changed any when I played yesterday. Sounds terrible tho.

Maybe it's the fieldmics? They switched it from Ninja to Spycraft. So you are probably getting tracked by those badboys.

The switch is real tho, I have noticed aim interference and just weird spawns after playing really well.

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I need to try that then 🤣 I've not played Warzone for a little while but hearing that the Mach 10 is also the go to weapon apparently.

The Mac 10 is a very good SMG, probably similar levels to MP5 when Cold War first came out maybe slightly better. 

But the DMR where you can just spam as fast as you can with a 30 round mag and kill in 2-3 bullets is mad 😄 

2 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

The minimap is a new thing for me, I haven't noticed it changed any when I played yesterday. Sounds terrible tho.

Maybe it's the fieldmics? They switched it from Ninja to Spycraft. So you are probably getting tracked by those badboys.

The switch is real tho, I have noticed aim interference and just weird spawns after playing really well.

I thought that too, however if they're CUAV'd they wouldnt be able to see the field mics either would they?

On 1/3/2021 at 1:57 AM, JBR-Kiwi said:

1) The minimap seems ok to me. I have not notice

2) Ghort seems ok still, don't forget 

- Paranoia, helps you know if someone aims at you

- forward intel, helps you know were the enemy will respond

- tracker tells shows you the enemy footsteps

- field mic, helps with sound

- a lot of barrels improve enemy detection

So there's a shitload of ways to help detect the enemy and many are immune to ghost.

I warzone, tracker is probably the best perk to run. I don't even look at the minimap and often ambush someone with the help of dead silience. 

3) I have notice that too. 

4 hours ago, Dan94 said:

The Mac 10 is a very good SMG, probably similar levels to MP5 when Cold War first came out maybe slightly better. 

But the DMR where you can just spam as fast as you can with a 30 round mag and kill in 2-3 bullets is mad 😄 

I ran both, to be honest it is overhiped.

I have had a number of encounters using my DMR at level 31, which I seem to hit the person 7-8 times and they beat me with an AR. The mac-10 is a good finisher.

Everyone is running Mac-10/DMR

I prefer M16 and Grau. Works for me

6 hours ago, Dan94 said:

I thought that too, however if they're CUAV'd they wouldnt be able to see the field mics either would they?

SpyCraft got changed a good bit in an update or patch a while back. It makes you immune to CUAV/Field Mics and you don't trigger proxy mines or gas mines. Also can hack enemy care packages.

I'm sure there is a few more things it does just can't remember them all.

Ninja is useless Vs Field Mics now, you show up on them.

15 minutes ago, IRaMPaGe said:

SpyCraft got changed a good bit in an update or patch a while back. It makes you immune to CUAV/Field Mics and you don't trigger proxy mines or gas mines. Also can hack enemy care packages.

I'm sure there is a few more things it does just can't remember them all.

Ninja is useless Vs Field Mics now, you show up on them.

Yeah they made it worse by making it so field mics don't show you if your running broken leg pro...like there isn't enough bloody crouch walking 

6 hours ago, techno said:

Yeah they made it worse by making it so field mics don't show you if your running broken leg pro...like there isn't enough bloody crouch walking 

Yeah I know! Duck walking isn't very attractive. I sometimes try run a stock that increases aiming or shooting strafe speed, kinda like Stalker Pro in MW3, but it messes up my aim mostly.

Here's me jumping round corners like Peter Schiemical. Oh it gets me killed plenty. That one time you beam a kid you feel like a god.

12 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I ran both, to be honest it is overhiped.

I have had a number of encounters using my DMR at level 31, which I seem to hit the person 7-8 times and they beat me with an AR. The mac-10 is a good finisher.

Everyone is running Mac-10/DMR

I prefer M16 and Grau. Works for me

For the best class I think you need to get to Level 45 for all the right barrels etc

If you use the class all the pros/streamers use, its 2-3 shot kill

Activision have now started blocking data apps used to expose cheaters in Warzone and Multiplayer in a shameful bid to protect their SBMM framework. These apps use the API and can showcase lobby data such as k/d's which can quickly identify if a content creator or streamer has been cheating the system. Before Christmas many of the big names were caught and admitted guilt in regards to the multiplayer aspect but now even Warzone is being significantly impacted by this behaviour from a wealth of big names. There also seems to be people actively policing the system so when someone gets a nice clip, these users quickly scrutinise the lobby quality rather than the clip itself and even then, questions are further asked about input cheats being used.

What an absolute dire situation Call of Duty is in from a gameplay and social standpoint. Connection-based matchmaking + lobby balancing = good times. SBMM + gameplay manipulation and cheaters = dead game. The fact Activision are only interested in protecting themselves rather than the community wishes says it all.