My New Generation Console

phil bottle

12 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Probably because they possibly have an official drive in the works or they are cutting a deal with an existing manufacturer. Doesn't look like they wanted users to rush out and buy any 3rd party crap from day one. Both Microsoft and Sony have fucked gamers over though - 1tb is a shockingly low amount especially when there is less than 70% that is usable. Warzone takes up 1/3 of the console right off the bat.  The only reason I know my storage is fine is cos I have jack shit installed on it! 

But if they put more storage then the price would be much higher as the NVME drives they use are super expensive.

fart.gif

2 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

But if they put more storage then the price would be much higher as the NVME drives they use are super expensive.

A single 2tb drive wouldn't make any significant difference to the cost from a manufacturing standpoint compared to the same drive with a 1tb capacity. They likely don't want to impact the estimated component prices in the drive market by being too generous and obviously wanting to milk this aspect for a couple of years at least. By the end of 2023 we'll probably see 2tb PS5 Pro Slims 30% cheaper than the base model right now with very little change to the production costs compared to now.  

12 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

A single 2tb drive wouldn't make any significant difference to the cost from a manufacturing standpoint compared to the same drive with a 1tb capacity. 

Yes it would. Look at that picture. A 2TB drive is twice the price. Obviously it wouldn't cost them as much but it would still add another £100 to the cost and people just won't pay £500+ for a console. 

Screenshot_20210412-220732.jpg

fart.gif

11 hours ago, MrBiron said:

Yes it would. Look at that picture. A 2TB drive is twice the price. Obviously it wouldn't cost them as much but it would still add another £100 to the cost and people just won't pay £500+ for a console. 

Screenshot_20210412-220732.jpg

That's the retail cost, not the production cost. Of course it's going to cost twice the amount at consumer level but from a manufacturing one, there is very little difference. If Sony and Microsoft included 2tb models right off the bat and kept the unit price the same or slightly raised, that would cut the thriving wholesale drive market in half. They will not throw their own suppliers under the bus especially when there is a market to be milked for the next few years.  

This market along with peripherals is the real money maker so they will not show their hand for a while yet but in two years time, the same drives costing the same to produce as they are now will be sold in higher capacity at 30%+ off with no loss incurred - just shrunken margins.   

The difference in the drives may be twice the capacity but to make them, it makes very little difference. There are still low-spec hard drives being built right now that cost more to make than a top-end, high capacity SSD. 

Well, since I don't have the PS4 Pro I think I will get a graphics difference. Regarding titles, not much yet, but Valhalla, Demon Souls and Cyberpunk is games I want to play. I bought Cyberpunk today though, included both versions, for 25£. 

On Tuesday morning I was up until 2am trying to get a PS5 but was told the Android Argos app wasn't working properly. So I went to bed in a huff.

Wednesday morning I tried with Game. Got put into a 3 minute queue, that went up to a 4 minute queue and then a 5 minute queue, which I was in for 15 minutes 🤷‍♂️ 

When I finally got onto the site they only had super expensive bundles with random shite in them including a T-shirt. A fucking T-shirt! So I fucked it off as I'm not giving game any extra money as they're a scummy company.

My hunt for a PS5 continues.

fart.gif

3 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

On Tuesday morning I was up until 2am trying to get a PS5 but was told the Android Argos app wasn't working properly. So I went to bed in a huff.

Wednesday morning I tried with Game. Got put into a 3 minute queue, that went up to a 4 minute queue and then a 5 minute queue, which I was in for 15 minutes 🤷‍♂️ 

When I finally got onto the site they only had super expensive bundles with random shite in them including a T-shirt. A fucking T-shirt! So I fucked it off as I'm not giving game any extra money as they're a scummy company.

I'll be honest here, if you're spending at least £500 for a console that you want badly enough to get up at 2am for, then paying an extra 20% to secure one (that probably would've given you a spare controller which is handy) wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world surely? At least its not buying it from a scalper that will give you the base machine for 30-50% more.

29 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

I've just got deja vu - here's a thread of mine from 2013 when I was trying to get my hands on a PS4 from GAME 

Basically from what I remember, I deposited £20 for a pre-order but there was 'no stock' available for weeks so I went in to the store on the off-chance and found out they DID have plenty of stock but the available consoles were being craftily bundled and held to ransom with £650 being the cheapest one. It was their own curated bundle of crap and not any official one. I didn't want a Vita, t-shirt, collectors edition of Knack, 12 months Spotify, a plastic statue from Killzone or a Infamous Second Son cup! They refused to sell me an individual unit despite having a paid pre-order and a promise that I'd get a console in time for Christmas day. I pretty much stopped using them altogether after that aside from trading in games for money. 

To be honest, you aren't missing anything with the PS5 so there's no rush. I've used mine for 10 minutes in the last 3 weeks and that was just to do an update. I'd trade it for a new 3070 in a heartbeat. 

They (Sony and retailers) could have made a system of getting consoles that would be fair and it make it impossible for scalpers to buy up all the stock. But they choose not to. That's how much they think of their customers, or maybe they like it this way. All their stock gets sold either way...and the idea this is a hard to buy item makes people think they must be worth getting. They only lose because less people owning the consoles means less games get sold. £70 games at that.  Quite handy there aren't many games out yet for them in that respect.

I might wait until the next iteration before looking at buying one to be honest. Maybe GT7 will provoke me but my PC still beats both consoles and the games are half the price.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'll be honest here, if you're spending at least £500 for a console that you want badly enough to get up at 2am for, then paying an extra 20% to secure one (that probably would've given you a spare controller which is handy) wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world surely? At least its not buying it from a scalper that will give you the base machine for 30-50% more.

It's more the principle of buying into Game's bullshit. I'm not willing to spend an extra £200 on shit I don't want just because Game are arseholes with things with this. 

fart.gif

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

They (Sony and retailers) could have made a system of getting consoles that would be fair and it make it impossible for scalpers to buy up all the stock. But they choose not to. That's how much they think of their customers, or maybe they like it this way. All their stock gets sold either way...and the idea this is a hard to buy item makes people think they must be worth getting. They only lose because less people owning the consoles means less games get sold. £70 games at that.  Quite handy there aren't many games out yet for them in that respect.

I might wait until the next iteration before looking at buying one to be honest. Maybe GT7 will provoke me but my PC still beats both consoles and the games are half the price.

Same with Nvidia - they don't give a toss that their graphics cards are being bought up by crypto minters - they are just happy that their cards are being sold either way. Retailers just want the cash regardless and if companies like Sony, MS and Nvidia don't want to create a system where things get into the right hands, the retailers aren't going to waste time either.  Retailers will just say they are out of stock and the manufactures will shift the blame to scalpers or miners.  

Now there is a chip shortage so consoles, cards and other electronic devices are going to be in dramatically reduced supply. There is also the knock-on effect which developers and publishers will be affected as their next gen only titles will be played by a fraction expected. 

Industry is in total disarray.  

1 hour ago, MrBiron said:

I installed black face plates on my PS5. I think it looks much better.IMG20210601205143.thumb.jpg.0c5051e1c7f8b11e5e7af50d17fd6d98.jpg

Not next to that cable management system you've got going on there it doesn't 🤨😅

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Not next to that cable management system you've got going on there it doesn't 🤨😅

I honestly could not give a shit about cable management. It makes no difference to how things operate 😜

fart.gif

So, I had a zombie day yesterday after my neighbours partied all night until the morning in a big tent in their garden, and I ended up buying an Xbox Series X.

The game pass is just too good a deal to ignore and it was available from Smyths while I was randomly checking availability of that and PS5. 

I'll still be getting a PS5 at some point, but probably not until the new Gran Turismo comes out, there's no other exclusive game on that console that makes me have any need for it right now. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The pass is good value though surprised you aren’t just picking up the xbox games on PC.

No doubt the xbox is a good console though and arguably the best this gen so enjoy.  Certainly easier to find somewhere to fit the xbox than ps5 🤣

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

18 hours ago, Greboth said:

The pass is good value though surprised you aren’t just picking up the xbox games on PC.

No doubt the xbox is a good console though and arguably the best this gen so enjoy.  Certainly easier to find somewhere to fit the xbox than ps5 🤣

It's going to be a while before I upgrade my 1080ti and I fancy some games with Ray tracing. 

But yeah, it's really a non essential purpose from a tired brain 😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 6/20/2021 at 6:01 PM, Greboth said:

Certainly easier to find somewhere to fit the xbox than ps5 🤣

What makes you say that? You just need to make sure your house is roughly the same height as the Shard and you're sorted 🤷‍♂️

fart.gif

The Xbox UI leaves a lot to be desired. I used to like the old 360 system but the current one is a mess.

My TV supports 4k and 120 but I've only played Forza 7 so far, which is a great game but not as good as Gran Turismo imo.

The game pass is going to save me a lot of money I think.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 6/28/2021 at 12:51 PM, phil bottle said:

The Xbox UI leaves a lot to be desired. I used to like the old 360 system but the current one is a mess.

My TV supports 4k and 120 but I've only played Forza 7 so far, which is a great game but not as good as Gran Turismo imo.

The game pass is going to save me a lot of money I think.

If thats the case with the UI i'm pretty disappointed about that. Its one of the few things that stopped me playing my Xbox One after being pro-Xbox from the OG Xbox and 360 era. It shouldn't matter too much but in the end if games are pretty similar, UI does really matter. We've seen how crap the party system was initially on PS5 and it can hurt the amount of gametime you end up having.