My New Generation Console

phil bottle

To be honest, I was going to do this thread myself but ended up playing on the damn thing a lot later into the night than I should have!!!

So, I have a PS5 and I can confirm, its fucking BIG!!!! I thought I had plenty of room for it in my tv cabinet, wrong!! I had do make some quick furniture rearrangement which pleased the mrs no end!!

The controller is a significant step forward in feel and weight, much like the difference from PS3 to PS4. If I'm honest, it feels like a pro controller straight out of the box. The feedback system is just out of this world!! It's not just a rumble pack and away you go. Every inch of the controller feels alive with the gameplay and just makes everything that much more immersive. However, the adaptive triggers were the thing that really blew me away. The fact that the specific part of the gameplay will dictate the pressure and feedback required on a button press is just mind blowing. Honestly, this is a game changer in terms of non-obtrusive next gen hardware.

UI is simple, if not a little bare for my likings. But familiar at least. No real complaints on it other than that stupid party chat system is still in place. I was able to share my Mortal Kombat gameplay with @GazzaGarratt whilst he grinded away on Destiny. Neither of us noticed and performance drop in doing this.

The SSD is a massive quality of life upgrade. Load times are a thing of the past and general interaction between one game and another becomes a breeze. I wasnt playing anything too intensive on loading last night but with that said I dont really recall ever having to wait for anything, which can only be a good thing.

With all the positives above, here comes the negative. Games. I'm confused as to how many ACTUAL true next gen games are out at the moment but it cant be more than a handful. I know theres a remaster of that and a collector's version of the other. But true showcase AAA titles just aren't there at release and that is the only way you're going to get £70 out of me for a game. Happy to maybe look around the £40 mark for a remaster but it feels like a bit of a piss take at the moment.

The PS Collection helps to redeem the situation somewhat with a great catalogue of games that can hopefully guide the system through this sparse release window. Bloodborne last night looked absolutely fantastic and I'm loving playing it at the higher frame rate so I'm looking forward to seeing what other games are like.

All in all I'm happy with it. My PS4 was on it's way out so it made sense to upgrade. YMMV but I'm totally understanding of people that wont invest for a while yet. PS4 was all about the players, PS5 is all about the patience it seems

The giddyness within me when it finally came kicked in. I hadn't noticed i'd asked Hayley about 25 times if she had seen when the delivery would happen! It finally arrived half way through Zoom video calls in the day, but I managed to get it setup through them so when i clocked off, I could start having a bash through it.

First and biggest selling point? The controller. Hands down the first bit of kit to come out of this next gen era of gaming which is absolutely meets that category. You have to download the Astro Playroom that comes with the PS5 to fully experience what this controller can do. Its ridiculous. I felt like a 12 year old again getting Hayley to come over everytime it shown me something new. "H! H! Quickly, get here! How awesome is this?!!". I'm completely with @Stretch616 , the Haptic Feedback in the triggers is the dealbreaker. How new games (when they get here) can take advantage of how they program that will be frickin awesome. Its like there is a click in there at one point and then nothing the next. Incredible design and can see why they're worth their money.

Other positive points include loading times - even with PS4 backward compatible games. I've never seen Destiny 2 load so quickly and thats only gonna get better when they release the PS5 upgraded version. It would be good to see how GTA Loading does on this. Then theres the Share Screen play. Playing on FG Friday where we all just playing random games in the chat, Stretch could play Overwatch and watch us play FIFA with FGFC in the corner of his screen with no lag and virtually no delay either. This will so help when one of your teammates is stuck and you want to show them quickly where to go or what action to do from your screen.

Negatives are still there. Games. Where are they?! I likened it to the Xbox 360 launch when they only had 13 of them delivered to Toys R Us in my area and I managed to secure one of them but I could only play FIFA Road to World Cup which was exactly that but with no World Cup tournament in it! Even the existing games like Destiny and FIFA are being upgraded in early December. Clearly they wanted to get the console out for Christmas to grab some cashflow early doors. The chat/message/party system is still a mess for me and it invites a little ignorance into gamers if you ask me. If you need a party private for your own reasons it was easy, but now you can't even nudge someone to join the existing party they're in without nudging the other 60 people in the group cos everyone sees the message as there is no way to 'invite' to an existing chat. I can't even say pop in and say hi to others playing games if we don't use existing groups we've set up cos you have to be in it to speak. Big thumbs down from me.

The UI i'm undecided on. Its just getting used to it I think which will have its niggles. Overall I still like it, the haven't overhauled that bit i'm glad about because their sleek design was hands down been better than Xbox for years. I think it has some snazzy subtle features that we'll all love when we work them out.

Oh, and the setup for my existing Hard Drive was easy peasy so I can play my PS4 games straight off the bat. I'm not liking the internal storgae size at all for PS5 games but new games seem to be smaller in size so I hope it'll be a while until we have to work out what next additional storage to buy thats compatible with PS5 games. Frustrating but not dealbreaking seeing new sizes of games. @Diddums is also right that a £250 headset can't work without an adapter due to no optical output. Weird design decision, but maybe helps them plug their own 3D Pulse Headset perhaps more so?

I've picked up Valhalla, Cold War and WRC9 so will finally give some PS5 games a go shortly in their true form over the coming weeks. I'm just super glad we can all chat with no issues across PS4 and PS5. Well worth the money.....Just.

Instead of starting a new thread, has anyone had issues with recording games with party chat? Game audio records fine, my mic records fine, but my party audio isn't there at all. My friends all have 'allow voice to be recorded/shared' option enabled and I have the option enabled for record party chat. 

Pretty confused and annoyed because had 1-2 clips on rebirth last couple days with no party audio. 

Storage on the PS5 is a joke.  With COD and a few other essential titles, Alex's PS5 is full.  825Gb drive with only 667Gb useable?  That's borderline criminal.  I understand that using external storage breaks the loading times, but not even being able to archive games to external is stupid.  With no viable expansion currently it's a very annoying situation.  Can't imagine a PCIe 4 NVMe is going to be anything less than £200 either.  Arse.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

23 hours ago, Dan94 said:

Instead of starting a new thread, has anyone had issues with recording games with party chat? Game audio records fine, my mic records fine, but my party audio isn't there at all. My friends all have 'allow voice to be recorded/shared' option enabled and I have the option enabled for record party chat. 

Pretty confused and annoyed because had 1-2 clips on rebirth last couple days with no party audio. 

Hmmm, not sure Dan. I think just like the PS4, there are 2 settings. Ill check some of mine but I'm sure they are all okay after changing them in settings and then in a party chat.

7 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:

Storage on the PS5 is a joke.  With COD and a few other essential titles, Alex's PS5 is full.  825Gb drive with only 667Gb useable?  That's borderline criminal.  I understand that using external storage breaks the loading times, but not even being able to archive games to external is stupid.  With no viable expansion currently it's a very annoying situation.  Can't imagine a PCIe 4 NVMe is going to be anything less than £200 either.  Arse.

What is he putting on the hard drive? I'd agree it was one of my major worries but I've realised that its about installing PS4 games on the external hard drive which leaves the PS5 storage free for PS5 exclusive games. However that solution wasn't how it was sold so its still disappointing.

PS5 games are far smaller btw. I currently have 8 PS5 games installed on it with still 250GBish free. Everything else just runs off the external hard drive.

They muddied the water a bit with the whole ps4/ps5 thing.  It's not always entirely clear what version you're looking at.  Booting COD on the PS5 gives you the option to purchase the full game, but only offered the PS4 version (apparently you need the cross-gen version).  I will move GTA to the HDD in that case, at least that's a bit of space saved.

Overall I feel like Xbox UI and PC integration a cross play has been implemented better.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Hmmm, not sure Dan. I think just like the PS4, there are 2 settings. Ill check some of mine but I'm sure they are all okay after changing them in settings and then in a party chat.

What is he putting on the hard drive? I'd agree it was one of my major worries but I've realised that its about installing PS4 games on the external hard drive which leaves the PS5 storage free for PS5 exclusive games. However that solution wasn't how it was sold so its still disappointing.

PS5 games are far smaller btw. I currently have 8 PS5 games installed on it with still 250GBish free. Everything else just runs off the external hard drive.

Cheers mate, seems very strange and pretty annoying tbh. Had a few clips now where it's only recorded the gameplay and my mic but not my friends in the party. Just doubled checked again all the settings and everything is allowed/enabled 

17 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

They muddied the water a bit with the whole ps4/ps5 thing.  It's not always entirely clear what version you're looking at.  Booting COD on the PS5 gives you the option to purchase the full game, but only offered the PS4 version (apparently you need the cross-gen version).  I will move GTA to the HDD in that case, at least that's a bit of space saved.

Overall I feel like Xbox UI and PC integration a cross play has been implemented better.

100% agree mate. The UI is the case of ain't broke so why try and fix it. Theyve talked about updating the system in the next patch to make it easier to select the correct version of the game apparently. I think once you know how, thats not as bad as we first realised - although the free upgrades for PS5 were bloody hard to find via the PSN store.

15 hours ago, Dan94 said:

Cheers mate, seems very strange and pretty annoying tbh. Had a few clips now where it's only recorded the gameplay and my mic but not my friends in the party. Just doubled checked again all the settings and everything is allowed/enabled 

No worries. I've got a few clips with them on so may need to Google or YouTube what the score is with this. Very odd.

Also, does anyone leave a disc in and when they turn it on next time it says 'disc not recognised'? Its not a major one as I just take it out and re-insert and it works but just very weird.

9 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Finally decided to unbox the PS5 as I picked up Demon Souls for £55 the other day. Haven’t played anything just yet and the interface is as shitty as ever from Sony but the controller feels absolutely amazing! 
96FDCD4E-A136-45AD-BAE8-B65E622E5409.jpeg

Astros Playroom is a fun little game to show what the controller can do, unfortunately there's not a lot of games incorporating any of it yet. Demons Souls is great, particularly the 60 fps which I hadn't experienced before enjoy!

9 minutes ago, jordie1892 said:

Astros Playroom is a fun little game to show what the controller can do, unfortunately there's not a lot of games incorporating any of it yet. Demons Souls is great, particularly the 60 fps which I hadn't experienced before enjoy!

60fps makes a huge difference especially for a game like that. I couldn't even get through Bloodborne on the PS4 without feeling sick as the framereate was wobbling around the 25-30 mark and the smoothing was non-existent. There's a few games which are perfectly acceptable at 30fps like God of War, RDR2 and Spider Man but that jump up to 60 is so significant, it's almost a game-changer for console gaming. 

Had mine a little while now and still love it. It's so quiet compared to the jet engine that was my ps4, and hopefully with the extra cooling space it will stay that way for a decent while. I really enjoyed Astros Playroom and how it used the controller, felt like i was back on the wii at points lol. So far only have AC Valhalla as an actual PS5 game but the loading times are great, and completed God of War on it which looked great and played beautifully. I really want Spider-Man Miles Morales but really begrudge paying 60 quid for a 10 hour game.

I got the media remote too which i am glad i did, and it looks like they will be adding voice control in the future which could be interesting.

A few months in and I'm still waiting for the information about the internal hard drive situation. I don't see the AAA main PS5 titles getting any smaller of late and I think we need a solution soon.

I'm sure i read about some patent for some extended storage somewhere but not even sure it is by Sony?

Other than that, I'm starting to get accustomed to the loading times so much that it feels weird now waiting like we do on the original PS4 loading times.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:59 PM, NCA-Paendrag said:

Lucky bastards, don’t know when I will be able to get this. Shops have very little information too.  Maybe I get lucky next christmas.. 

On 3/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, techno said:

Me and you both 😂

I still don't think you're missing out on much tbh. The lack of PS5 / next gen games is clear to see and I haven't seen a time period when it'll feel like theres more. I'm seeing more so existing games getting enhanced and upgraded so you have much better experiences (we all hope) and Destiny 2 has definitely been worth it from that viewpoint but outside of that, not much more has felt like its had a significant jump in graphics, performance, etc.

24 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I still don't think you're missing out on much tbh. The lack of PS5 / next gen games is clear to see and I haven't seen a time period when it'll feel like theres more. I'm seeing more so existing games getting enhanced and upgraded so you have much better experiences (we all hope) and Destiny 2 has definitely been worth it from that viewpoint but outside of that, not much more has felt like its had a significant jump in graphics, performance, etc.

I agree it's why I'm not too fussed tbh, and I've got the pc to fill the gap😉

On 3/21/2021 at 10:40 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

A few months in and I'm still waiting for the information about the internal hard drive situation. I don't see the AAA main PS5 titles getting any smaller of late and I think we need a solution soon.

Sony have said they're going to release a firmware update in the future that will unlock the second hard drive slot. That's the last I heard about it.

fart.gif

31 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

Sony have said they're going to release a firmware update in the future that will unlock the second hard drive slot. That's the last I heard about it.

They hobbled their own console and I still can't wrap my head around it. If Microsoft pulled that shit everyone would be up in arms, so I'd love to know Sony's secret. That kind of loyalty is gold dust.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

They hobbled their own console and I still can't wrap my head around it. If Microsoft pulled that shit everyone would be up in arms, so I'd love to know Sony's secret. That kind of loyalty is gold dust.

I don't understand why they did it. Surely it would make more sense to unlock it and have the SSD available at launch? 

fart.gif

6 hours ago, MrBiron said:

I don't understand why they did it. Surely it would make more sense to unlock it and have the SSD available at launch? 

Probably because they possibly have an official drive in the works or they are cutting a deal with an existing manufacturer. Doesn't look like they wanted users to rush out and buy any 3rd party crap from day one. Both Microsoft and Sony have fucked gamers over though - 1tb is a shockingly low amount especially when there is less than 70% that is usable. Warzone takes up 1/3 of the console right off the bat.  The only reason I know my storage is fine is cos I have jack shit installed on it!