Xbox Game Pass

Stretch616

As mentioned in the other recent thread, Gabe picked up an Xbox series S this week and for a budget price console I've got to say I'm really impressed with it.

As part of setting it up I registered for the Game Pass as it saved me having to fork out for yet another copy of Minecraft! What I didnt realise is just how extensive the catalogue of games is in there. It absolutely pisses all over the Playstation equivalent. I've already told him I'm stealing it when he goes to bed and I'm gonna start smashing out the Gears of War and Halo series!

I know we're pretty much exclusively Playstation on here but has anybody else looked at this and the games that are on it? It's arguably the way forward for games that aren't AAA release titles

Its a massive way forward @Stretch616  and if my main console was xbox I'd struggle not to get it due to how much access and immediate savings you get.

The one major element I have a problem with these types of subscriptions is do you actually own these games? Also, do they have the right to remove ANY of these games at short notice? I mean, having Destiny 2 there to play all the game is fantastic but if they took it out of the pool of games 6 months in then whats the point in that?

@MrBiron  have you got the facts on how this specifically works? For instance, if you download the game do you have it forever or is it more until they remove it from the pass? I'm sure it'll work for you Biron as once you've done with a game you just sell it anyway. Others aren't like that however.

2 hours ago, MrBiron said:

@GazzaGarratt Yep the games are there until they remove them from game pass. Imo it's just superb and honestly is why I'm getting an Series X before PS5. 

Thanks Biron. I cant deny its a great deal, especially because you get access to it all via PC too which is incredible.

I just couldn't do it first for 2 reasons. 1) Nearly all of us are on PS4 or 5 and I don't see people changing. I want to be where all our friends are at, and 2) I would be gutted to play a game and then not have it a few months later, especially if it is a top game we all keep playing.

I may look into it for the PC probably though if that works. Could be a good way to understand if its a good full purchase for your preferred platform.

EA Play is coming to Xbox Game Pass next month too. 

The game pass is also available for PC with even more games available like Flight Simulator 2020 and every future Xbox exclusive will be available here to play if you aren't intending getting a Series X/S. If you have a gaming PC and then get a PS5 on the side, you have all bases covered pretty much.  Ubisoft also has it's uPlay+ on PC which works the same along with EA Play as mentioned.

8 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

The one major element I have a problem with these types of subscriptions is do you actually own these games?

I'm afraid not. You merely use the pass which enables you to access the licence(s) of the available game library whilst the pass is active. If you wish to own the game (licence) outright, you will have to purchase the game. 

As with all these subscriptions though, you will have to put up a payment method for a direct debit which is automatically deducted until cancelled. Prices and content can change without notice. 

With all of this said, for me it's a no brainer. Gabe now has a back catalogue of games as long as my arm and its costing me the price of 2 AAA titles in a year. 

I just think it really sets a benchmark in terms of the "Netflix" for games. I'm more than happy with it and I'm really intrigued to see how it develops with the next gen as it seems a match made in heaven for the series S

Indeed, as I've probably said elsewhere, if I didn't have a PC, I'd pick up the new Xbox and gamepass. Prices of new gen games are only feasible to buy in a sale 6 months after release, so the game pass is a no brainer.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg