Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

J4MES OX4D

Trilogy Remaster basically 

kUGGJxD3GPExrVWyYPbNn-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

BioWare has finally confirmed that the Mass Effect trilogy remaster is happening.

There is also a brand new Mass Effect game coming too which BioWare will probably screw up. At least the first 3 are a pretty safe bet.

10 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

I am so excited for the remaster! Hopefully, they remember what made their studio great before EA came to destroy it like they tend to do with any studio they acquire.

I don't actually think EA were entirely to blame for the demise of BioWare. They gave them huge development windows that they never would have got under any other publisher, along with substantial budgets, but for some reason since 2013 it's been a total internal shitshow. If anything, EA probably should have kept a closer eye on them so they probably are to blame for that to a degree, but shockingly, I don't think they did much wrong in this case. Anthem was the biggest culprit that held them back for a good 7 years - should've canned that in 2015 really.

I'm an RPG player. The first game was definitely very RPG. The second game did annoy me a bit as it took some action/FPS cues with the god damn ammo, but that was okay, and I ended up really loving the second game. The third was just fantastic, but I will admit that I played it after the "fixes", so the story was near perfect for me and my characters. Also, I think the third was fantastic only because it was the culmination of the whole story and not because it was doing anything else. ME2 holds the trophy of being the best of the series for a reason.

I definitely understand how it can be difficult for non-RPG people to get into it. I mean, @TurboR56Mini  is your standard FPS gamer, who really only played sports games until I introduced him to the other genres. He could not stand the pace of it.

It will be interesting to see if BioWare adjusts some of the mechanics in the first one to really pull new players in.

I hold a terrible grudge against EA as I have seen them destroy every studio I have loved. Studios that have made cult-classics. Honestly, how do you kill the studio that made SimCity and reduce it to just Sims? So, I have to play Cities Skylines now? It's a great game, but...

Don't get me started on the 90's studio Bullfrog and their demise shortly after being bought.

If I find the article that lists every single studio that died under EA, I'll post it.

5 hours ago, RenFengge said:

I'm an RPG player. The first game was definitely very RPG. The second game did annoy me a bit as it took some action/FPS cues with the god damn ammo, but that was okay, and I ended up really loving the second game. The third was just fantastic, but I will admit that I played it after the "fixes", so the story was near perfect for me and my characters. Also, I think the third was fantastic only because it was the culmination of the whole story and not because it was doing anything else. ME2 holds the trophy of being the best of the series for a reason.

I definitely understand how it can be difficult for non-RPG people to get into it. I mean, @TurboR56Mini  is your standard FPS gamer, who really only played sports games until I introduced him to the other genres. He could not stand the pace of it.

It will be interesting to see if BioWare adjusts some of the mechanics in the first one to really pull new players in.

I'm with you.  ME:2 was my favorite.  One of my all time favorite games.

I'm really excited for this.  If it's the same game, with remastered graphics, I'm in.  I'd love MP, but from what I've heard that's a no go.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

May 15th 2021

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1612286219
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition includes single-player base content and over 40 DLC from the highly acclaimed Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 games, including promo weapons, armors...

YU7NkLFcS3xfs8dbEsnurL.jpg

Don't see the point.

1 needs a complete overhaul to make it worth revisiting. It's better looking? So what. If the combat etc is the same, no thanks.

3 still holds up as a good looking game, I have it on Origin and it's a beauty on full settings.

I'd consider if they remade the first game, it's still my favourite of the bunch in terms of the story etc just let down by gameplay and mechanics in some places.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

8 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Don't see the point.

1 needs a complete overhaul to make it worth revisiting. It's better looking? So what. If the combat etc is the same, no thanks.

3 still holds up as a good looking game, I have it on Origin and it's a beauty on full settings.

I'd consider if they remade the first game, it's still my favourite of the bunch in terms of the story etc just let down by gameplay and mechanics in some places.

I think the point is for BioWare to get some love from BioWare fans wondering wtf happened to them.

Seeing them remaster the Mass Effect trilogy is interesting to me for a host of reasons.

1) I played Dragon Age first before Mass Effect. The difference in graphics is astounding between the games. I wondered why Dragon Age had shitty graphics. Then I realized BioWare was more concerned with Mass Effect visuals.

2) One of the absolute frustrating things for me on playing the Mass Effect trilogy on my computer was the wonky bugs that broke numerous save files for me when approaching certain scenarios. It was infuriating to lose basically 3 hours of gameplay because you couldn't just go back to a save to salvage from the bug, you had to go back to before the mission. I look forward to a clean playthrough on the new PC that is coming for me.

3) I want other people to experience this. @TurboR56Mini  is now a much more experienced gamer than when I first tried to get him into Mass Effect. Does he like actual single player games? No. He's a multiplayer gamer through and through and probably really only that. But, my hope is that because I have also gotten him into sci-fi and space opera stuff, maybe he'll enjoy it now. Maybe he'll get through the first, love the second, and get feels during the final parts of the third game.

4) I am so absolutely tired of garbage games that are passing as decent single player games. Maybe this will remind people what great storytelling can be like... so I don't have to wait for gemstone studios like Guerilla or Bend to Sucker Punch to release some actually engrossing.

The Mass Effect trilogy is amazing. I'm glad I played it after they fixed the ending. I don't think the mechanics of the first one were terrible, but then again, I'm an RPGer. I found the mechanics of 2 to be limiting but fun. I don't remember what the mechanics of 3 were. It's been a couple of years.

Andromeda needed more time. But the development on Andromeda was as turbulent as Anthem.

Like I've said, EA basically kills every studio they touch. Casey Hudson left again for a reason. If Casey saw nothing to salvage, this is a semi-decent swan song of BioWare doing a "greatest hits" thing.

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Don't see the point.

Apparently the original is getting slightly more attention whereas 2 and 3 are just getting visual upgrades. Any excuse for EA to charge another £50! A few press have seen the game in action and the non-shills don't seem too impressed by it.  I probably would've got the original if it was a £15 standalone.   

I see that they might be redoing the combat for the first one as well as visuals. It'll be cheap S chips a few months after release.

But @RenFengge I do get what you mean about introducing someone new to the series. It's definitely worth that. The first game came out pretty early in the life of the 360. The story, characters, context (I remember laughing at seeing anti alien protests by groups of humans) made me love it from the moment I started playing it. And many people love the multiplayer in the later games...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I think the one blessing with this being a remaster more than a remake is that BioWare can't screw it up spectacularly. There can't be many OG members of the studio still there, so the current batch working from the ground up on such a classic series would ring alarm bells. 

14 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Don't see the point.

Its pure income as it fills a hole within their game release plans, whether we agree with it or not. The nostalgia alone will get people to buy into the game for sure, just like @RenFengge  says. I'd like to experience it....but its hugely disappointing that the MP isn't going to come with the whole remastered product. I remember @JsinOwl  banging on for it so much back in the day I ended up picking up ME2 and 3 to try it out.

13 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Apparently the original is getting slightly more attention whereas 2 and 3 are just getting visual upgrades.

I think it has to because the controls will be extremely outdated and far too clunky for this gaming generation. It will easily take the shine, from what i've read here before, an amazing story.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I’m on the fence with this one.  

I mean I’ve been there, done that and really enjoyed the ride but it is something I want to invest all that time into again?  It kinda sucks they’re not including the MP or at least some kind of Co-op mode similar to the ME3 MP. 

I don’t know.  It was a great series.  2 rules.  Decisions decisions.  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

1 hour ago, RenFengge said:

I'm actually really excited to replay this on my PC. 

Couldn't watch the video @J4MES OX4D as the geezer spends the first few minutes grovelling and saying how lucky he is😅

@RenFengge I'll be very interested in your thoughts once you get hands on with it! If it's decent I'll pick it up later in the year.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 minute ago, phil bottle said:

Couldn't watch the video @J4MES OX4D as the geezer spends the first few minutes grovelling and saying how lucky he is😅

@RenFengge I'll be very interested in your thoughts once you get hands on with it! If it's decent I'll pick it up later in the year.

Lol. I didn't even watch the video..

But, have you played the trilogy? I played it after I finished all the Dragon Age stuff. When I played the first Mass Effect, I immediately thought, "Ohhhhh.. Sooo this is where you sent your A-team for graphics." Because seriously. Mass Effect 1 compared to Dragon Age Origins in terms of graphics... night and day. Like, I seriously had to get past the ugliness of Dragon Age to start enjoying it. Thank goodness the story was enthralling.

4 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

Lol. I didn't even watch the video..

But, have you played the trilogy? I played it after I finished all the Dragon Age stuff. When I played the first Mass Effect, I immediately thought, "Ohhhhh.. Sooo this is where you sent your A-team for graphics." Because seriously. Mass Effect 1 compared to Dragon Age Origins in terms of graphics... night and day. Like, I seriously had to get past the ugliness of Dragon Age to start enjoying it. Thank goodness the story was enthralling.

Mass Effect was the first game I bought when buying my Xbox 360, that and Oblivion.

Fantastic game and ME2 was more of the same but better. ME3 was the best looking of the bunch and the only one I played on PC.

I also get Andromeda out from time to time but still not finished it😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

49 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Mass Effect was the first game I bought when buying my Xbox 360, that and Oblivion.

Fantastic game and ME2 was more of the same but better. ME3 was the best looking of the bunch and the only one I played on PC.

I also get Andromeda out from time to time but still not finished it😁

Andromeda is so shallow compared to the trilogy.

You can tell there was so much potential and that so much was stripped away to make deadlines.

You can see that there were thoughts on how to really expand bases on planets.. and have more planets.

The Quarians were left open for another installment.

I wanted to love it. But, it just wasn't there.

When you read about the development of Andromeda and Anthem, you can tell that it probably came from the same idea, then split into two games. So sad.

Finish Andromeda just to put the story to bed, but know that it is nowhere as complex or deep as the original series.

The amount of emotional awe I got in ME2, especially when I came upon Garrus... I don't think BioWare has ever topped that. Even when I played ME3, I found myself racing to find him again. "There's no Shepard without Vakarian."

Even if you didn't play that route.. and went Shepard with Tali or Liara... it was all still "I need to find my companion." And, Garrus was still always there to be your best bud lol.

So, yeah. I definitely am looking forward to doing a fifth playthrough on the trilogy.

So, I didn't get chance to play this as it past me by when I was younger. Owl always raved about it and I ended up buying one of the later series just for the MP. I probably should shift more time to play SP games cos of the story in this one.

I'm worried about how much the controls and gameplay are outdated though so would be good to know if they've revamped them in any way for this edition.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

FOV looks a bit nasty so I hope you can change that plus I don't like how ME1 has the Andromeda UI. Hopefully the gameplay will stand the test of time but the story will definitely hold up. They probably could've done more with these remasters especially with what's been achieved on PC with mods but I guess they don't detract too much from the originals at least. I can't see myself paying £55 for this - maybe if they were £14.99 individually then I'd grab the first two but even with a game drought right now, I wont be getting this.