Cold War Vs Beyond Light

J4MES OX4D

Anyone else torn between the two or planning to pick up both or neither? With Cyberpunk being delayed it's given me more time but I still don't think I'll be able to squeeze in both or be willing to buy each at full price. I quite enjoyed Cold War and I may get a month of action out of it but I also enjoy Destiny 2 which is far more relaxed. There hasn't been enough footage of the new expansion for my liking though and I don't want another situation where it's another shoddy Bungie vanilla experience where we have to wait months for extra content and overall improvements. 

I was gonna make a poll but I'd rather hear people's actual thoughts. Cheers!

I hear they might be adding crossplay in 2021 between console and PC. I'd get it for that. After playing it on PC it feels clunky on console. Still, though, its tempting as there'll be a lot more FGers on Density than COD...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The good thing is that reviews will be in before Cold War launches - that 3 day window could be useful in making a decision. 

I am only level 916 on Destiny 2 so how will that impact my ability to access the new content? Is the levels being raised or all players again or do I have to grind up? I'm so out of the loop I forgotten how it all works😂

@J4MES OX4D  In short, to combat any burnt out feeling i'll try and get both if I can. I'd obviously pick Destiny up ahead of CoD if I can't have both striaght away and thats more down to the variety of stuff to do in the game. I can play PvP like in CoD and thats one element of whats in it, on top of all the other game modes available.

I think sometimes expectations of ours are either unrealistic or inaccurate based on what we've been fed before. I was talking to @Plumbers Crack  the other night about some of this and how it factually works out in terms of money which gives you some options about what to do, especially on Destiny.

I'll use the Destiny Roadmap to explain how that bit works cos I don't think its clear:

image.png

Note - This roadmap doesn't tell us every bit of detail because they like you to find more bits as you go through the content

For Info:

Standard Beyond Light Edition £34.99

Standard Edition + Season 12 £42.99

Deluxe Edition £59.99

Yellow = Free to play and doesn't cost anything. Just update your download and you'll access to it.

Red = Beyond Light expansion elements - worth £34.99

Blue = Season of the Hunt Content - worth either £8 bought alone with expansion or worth £6.25 if bought in Deluxe edition. There are 4 Seasons due so I'd expect they will last for 3 months each.

So whilst £59.99 looks a larger amount, I think it boils down to whether you think the Seasons will be worth it. You could say looking at the above there's only 3 Season elements on the roadmap. They'll likely be some form of playloop with new loot (weapons & armour) to obtain and chase included within it and if you work that out what it essentially costs per month, its £2.08 if its the season pass, £2.67 if bought standalone. For the amount of content you get for that, i'd say its worth a coffee a month based on previous seasons content.

However, as theres not much difference between each season cost either bought upfront or just standalone, then I'd say its up to people if its the £42.99 or £59.99 edition they think is worth it considering how Destiny is a game you can come and go back to whenever you want. I think you do get a few extra things like an emote, ghost shell, etc but i'm not classing that in this thought.

With Call of Duty the editions are:

Standard PS4 edition - £59.99

Cross Gen edition -£64.99

Ultimate Edition - £84.99

Cod is priced higher because its not an expansion, more so a new game. although conveniently its the same price as Destiny's deluxe cost. Cross Gen makes total sense for people with PS4s getting a PS5 as its only a fiver extra. Shame they have to charge an extra fiver as others are giving upgrades for free but here we are. The ultimate edition is £20 extra. That seems to be for these additional items:

• Woods Operator in MW/WZ
  • AR Weapon Blueprint in MW/WZ
  • Confrontation Weapons Pack
  • Cold War Land, Sea and Air Pack
  • Cold War S1 Battle Pass Bundle

Now £20 for a years worth extra cosmetics is down to everyones opinion. Less than £2 a month for extra shiny stuff might not be worth it in some eyes (although Fortnite offer their seasons around similar prices through the year and people buy them like gold dust). However, it looks like you get access to some guns that could make a bit of difference in gameplay to people.

As this is all just facts to help people work out if its all worth it, it will also come down to upfront money you have available. Most FGers I would think be on Destiny at some points, however the recent MW shown how many people here still like playing CoD. And that will still be available for us, including the Warzone mode with is F2P.

Hope the breakdown helps - be good to know who we've got about around the place come these coming months!

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

3 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

The good thing is that reviews will be in before Cold War launches - that 3 day window could be useful in making a decision. 

I am only level 916 on Destiny 2 so how will that impact my ability to access the new content? Is the levels being raised or all players again or do I have to grind up? I'm so out of the loop I forgotten how it all works😂

Everyone will be moved up to 1050 come Nov 10th, regardless if you have bought anything or not. Destiny will start everyone at the same pegging so everyone can basically access nearly all content available. You then work up your Power as you play to access content that is generally harder to get better rewards. Rinse and repeat through the different gamemodes. PvP, PvE, mix of both, etc.

3 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Are Bungie going to charge extra if you want to transition to PS5?

Nope. Every version you buy is cross gen. So a PS4 or PS5 copy will allow you to play with the other Playstation groups. Same for Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Destiny is one game you can use straight away on the PS5 and continue to play with PS4 players.

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Nope. Every version you buy is cross gen. So a PS4 or PS5 copy will allow you to play with the other Playstation groups. Same for Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Destiny is one game you can use straight away on the PS5 and continue to play with PS4 players.

It’s only a small thing but it’s little touches like that that will probably make me choose Beyond Light 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I've heard that Beyond Light is gonna be smaller than even Forsaken - I loved that expansion and got quite a few hours out of it but considering all the content being taken out of the game, is anyone concerned that the new package is gonna be a bit threadbare? Although I didn't bother with much of the vanilla content as time wore on, it was still nice to know it was there and it did beef up the game as a whole.