Cyberpunk delayed again

Okay, when you're a fully fledged company that is born around creating a game with a planned deadline and you don't meet it, you discuss a realistic target, replan, and don't miss it.

Is this the 3rd time replanning??! Its only 21 days which is good but I feel sorry for people that have booked time off in advance and now have to see if they can change it. Its quite late to call a delay of 3 more weeks imo.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Fucking disgraceful really. The game has already gone gold, it's being shipped to retailers as I write this yet once again it's delayed despite numerous set in stone guarantees that it would not be delayed again even going back to their livestream last week. This is nothing more than a tactical delay so it doesn't collide with the big releases in the weeks leading up to its launch. I'm not even confident it'll come out in December either because they may then be baited into taking the next gen consoles into consideration based on how those launch and their availability. 

Looks like I have a window for Black Ops Cold War and/or Destiny 2 at least but this is very disappointing. 

As someone who has kept an eye on this game but not been wrapped in the hype and excitement.  I’m finding all the rage at this being delayed again quite funny.

I get it is a shame and people’s annoyance but equally CDPR have to be happy with the product they’re selling.  In this age of ‘but we can patch it’ I think it’s commendable that they’ve taken the choice to delay than launchinh a buggy broken game and patching it days/weeks later.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

14 minutes ago, Greboth said:

As someone who has kept an eye on this game but not been wrapped in the hype and excitement.  I’m finding all the rage at this being delayed again quite funny.

I get it is a shame and people’s annoyance but equally CDPR have to be happy with the product they’re selling.  In this age of ‘but we can patch it’ I think it’s commendable that they’ve taken the choice to delay than launching a buggy broken game and patching it days/weeks later.

Commendable to get it right first time when released than without bugs however I would've lost my job if I had replanned 3 times and communicated externally on such a high profile thing. Maybe its different in the game worlds where things can be a little more, flexible you could say.

I'd rather people be clear upfront that the live date can fluctuate so you may see it move many times. I think all i'm saying is that its basic managing expectations of your customers they have to do.

In general, with regards release date being pushed back, I'm in favour of that 100% if it means a polished bug free experience. I don't think it's a big deal for consumers other than of course the holiday bookers. 

Personally, I'm more unhappy about the reports of working practices. Months of crunch? 100 hour weeks? Nopety nope nope. If you're on the cusp of discovering the cure for cancer maybe, but not for a video game. The whole industry is a cesspit of exploitation and abuse, not on the scale of kids working in factories, but its dirty and it takes away my enjoyment of the hobby I use to distract me from the general bullshit of our existence. 

On a separate note, I hope Watch Dogs Legions take on politics doesn't make me cringe so much I rage and uninstall 😎

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, Greboth said:

I get it is a shame and people’s annoyance but equally CDPR have to be happy with the product they’re selling.  In this age of ‘but we can patch it’ I think it’s commendable that they’ve taken the choice to delay than launchinh a buggy broken game and patching it days/weeks later.

I think the rage that a lot of gamers have expressed (quite a bit childish and extreme in some cases) is mainly born out of sheer frustration after a difficult year but the real aggravating factor that has tipped people over the edge is the sheer amount of lies and broken promises.  

People have been let down 3 times this year - twice understandable under the circumstances but the third time feels almost unforgivable for some especially when the publishers have expressed countless times that there would be no further delays including an instance 24 hours before the announcement. It's just eroding trust and people aren't confident that the game will even arrive in December - Q1 2021 it may have to be. 

The other monumental disappointment about the whole situation was CDPR being one of only a few trusted developers and publishers out there and for them to screw up even worse than some common AAA ones, it's a huge confidence dent that could ruin a company for years to come just like BioWare. 

I am partly relieved that the game is delayed and I'm not as hyped for it as some but the way they've handled it has been shocking really. They would have been better just giving a release window with no promises back in the summer rather than string people along and bullshit them all the way to to the 11th hour. 

For clarification, I wasn’t saying people shouldn’t be frustrated.  I was sort of playing a devils advocate and countering the overall negativity to this news.  To know you’re going to piss off a lot of your customers and then doing it anyway because it’s the right thing to do - well that deserves some credit.

That said, CDPR have monumentally screwed up this launch.  Things like this can ruin a company but hopefully that won’t happen here.  Though it wouldn’t surprise me to see some heads roll as apparently the employees didn’t know of the delay either until the press release.  Which is probably some of the cause of the problem as I’m going to guess that would include whoever ruins CDPR’s social media pages.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

1 minute ago, Greboth said:

For clarification, I wasn’t saying people shouldn’t be frustrated.  I was sort of playing a devils advocate and countering the overall negativity to this news.  To know you’re going to piss off a lot of your customers and then doing it anyway because it’s the right thing to do - well that deserves some credit.

That said, CDPR have monumentally screwed up this launch.  Things like this can ruin a company but hopefully that won’t happen here.  Though it wouldn’t surprise me to see some heads roll as apparently the employees didn’t know of the delay either until the press release.  Which is probably some of the cause of the problem as I’m going to guess that would include whoever ruins CDPR’s social media pages.

Yeah it's a total PR disaster especially with the announcement coming a mere 24 hours after they once again explicitly stated it wouldn't be delayed which was already off the back of several other statements to this tune in the past 6 weeks. Lots of staff thrown under the bus and whilst the faceless social media team will get away fairly clean minus a bit of Twitter abuse at the company, I feel for any who made that commitment either through interviews or during the livestream as they will face a lot of ridicule even though it wasn't their choice.

If they get it out in December then it'll be forgiven and forgotten especially if it's a fantastic game but it seems people aren't convinced by the excuse or confident in the new release either and after what's now happened, I'm also a bit iffy about it. The situation almost mimics that of the original Watch Dogs 7 years ago at the start of the gen - it was due for release as one of the most hyped games in recent memory and a massive launch title for the new gen of consoles and out of the blue it was delayed by 6 months and was nowhere as good as expected. I hope it doesn't repeat with this.

Maybe it'll work work even more so in their favour. Obviously more time will mean a better finished product but more so it dampens a little bit of the hype we've seen which is always good for a game that is potentially the best thing since sliced bread.