New base discussion

Greboth

So work has started on the new base in earnest and there is quite a bit of the walls built already but I know a few people don't know about the new base and the plan so of course I thought I'd create a pretty picture.

The basic walls are in place though for the most part, though a lot of blocks are still cobblestone blocks so need upgrading to concrete and hardened concrete.  There are forge's and cement mixers on the second level with a few small storage crates full of stone, sand and clay  for us to make the materials to upgrade blocks.  There is also food, drink etc. and nailguns which are the best tool for upgrading blocks.

The basic plan is that there will be walls with mis-aligned gaps in so zombies will try and path find to us in the middle and make them walk passed lots of traps.  I don't know what we could put in the corners with the question marks? Originally I was thinking traps but I don't think they would be much use - maybe the auto gun turrets? what's the range on them does anyone know?  There is also the thought we could over all the traps with iron bars so we could shoot down on the zombies but I don't know if you can through molotov's and grenades through iron bars.

The base could be expanded further too if we need it to include more walls, traps, spikes etc.  Though I'm thinking that we should probably leave the base as it to see how it copes with a horde night.

I've also included a side view of the base so people know the floor;#

Floor 1 is bedrooms; Not really useful in this game but nice to have a little personalised area of the base.

Floor 2 This has a few forges, workbenches and cement mixers on which are being used currently.  I think the plan is for some of these to stay there to be used ad hoc for crafting with a little storage of things to be used for these ad-hoc crafting.

Floor 3 Bulk storage and bulk crafting.  Certain items like stone, clay etc. we will get lots more of than other resources so all the additional stuff can be stored down there.  With forges dedicated to smelting iron, lead etc.

This is from @phil bottle plan so I'm hoping I have got it correct but I don't think any one is precious about the plans so any input is welcome.

On this still be to worked out is a garage, we keep picking up vehicles come horde night but it would be good to have somewhere proper to store all our vehicles.

7dtd Base map.jpg

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

8 minutes ago, Greboth said:

So work has started on the new base in earnest and there is quite a bit of the walls built already but I know a few people don't know about the new base and the plan so of course I thought I'd create a pretty picture.

The basic walls are in place though for the most part, though a lot of blocks are still cobblestone blocks so need upgrading to concrete and hardened concrete.  There are forge's and cement mixers on the second level with a few small storage crates full of stone, sand and clay  for us to make the materials to upgrade blocks.  There is also food, drink etc. and nailguns which are the best tool for upgrading blocks.

The basic plan is that there will be walls with mis-aligned gaps in so zombies will try and path find to us in the middle and make them walk passed lots of traps.  I don't know what we could put in the corners with the question marks? Originally I was thinking traps but I don't think they would be much use - maybe the auto gun turrets? what's the range on them does anyone know?  There is also the thought we could over all the traps with iron bars so we could shoot down on the zombies but I don't know if you can through molotov's and grenades through iron bars.

The base could be expanded further too if we need it to include more walls, traps, spikes etc.  Though I'm thinking that we should probably leave the base as it to see how it copes with a horde night.

I've also included a side view of the base so people know the floor;#

Floor 1 is bedrooms; Not really useful in this game but nice to have a little personalised area of the base.

Floor 2 This has a few forges, workbenches and cement mixers on which are being used currently.  I think the plan is for some of these to stay there to be used ad hoc for crafting with a little storage of things to be used for these ad-hoc crafting.

Floor 3 Bulk storage and bulk crafting.  Certain items like stone, clay etc. we will get lots more of than other resources so all the additional stuff can be stored down there.  With forges dedicated to smelting iron, lead etc.

This is from @phil bottle plan so I'm hoping I have got it correct but I don't think any one is precious about the plans so any input is welcome.

On this still be to worked out is a garage, we keep picking up vehicles come horde night but it would be good to have somewhere proper to store all our vehicles.

7dtd Base map.jpg

That's pretty awesome @Greboth

Extra ideas/plans to complement this would be:

1. External garage to the north of the base which can be accessed underground from the new base. 

2. Longer term plan is to connect both bases by an underground road.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I love the whole idea of it all. Its certainly an impressive sight already with the amount of concrete used! I really want to support building a garage to the extent its killing me just leaving vehicles lying around. We should start the whole for it this week at some point.

I've started building blade traps but need a lot more engineering parts so please keep wrenching everything 😄 The Question mark areas for me would be great as high watchtowers to shoot all the zombies in. We could make connecting bridges so we can cover easily each angle quickly. I'd also like to add it would be ace to get some auto turrets up; maybe looking at holes for Zombies in the concrete? The last thought was we could experiment with the electricity and build some trip wires to slow the zombies down to make easy pickings. We've never tried it before and would be cool to see.

43 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

2. Longer term plan is to connect both bases by an underground road.

Also. Would LOVE to see this happen ASAP. Any chance we can start now? 😁

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

This thread isn’t meant so much as a this is what is happening, more communicate the ideas we’ve had so anyone can join in the build without needing everything verbally explained.

A garage would be cool, I can add it to the image later so we have a rough idea of where we would need to dig.  I assume the garage would connect with floor 1 or were you thinking depeer?

The spinning blades were just used as it’s easy to make a visual representation of them but the trenches could be filled with any traps you want.  

Can the auto turrents shoot down? If so, could we place them on the walls? especially the outside wall so they could start shooting new waves coming in.

As for watch towers, that’s a good idea.  If we can’t throw molotov through iron bars we will need places to stand out over the traps so that could be the solution.

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Also. Would LOVE to see this happen ASAP. Any chance we can start now? 😁

Weeellllll...the weather is looking pretty crappy over the next couple of days 😎 my only concern is triggering a horde night whilst digging a  horizontal tunnel 😳 Also, I presume the tunnel would have to start from the garage area? And presumably the garage area and the arrival point need to be big enough to turn a 4x4 around in?

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Amazing horde night last night, how close they came to overwhelming us was hilarious, we were saved by the bell, I mean dawn. 

Base wall needs to be higher and thicker.

@Grebothyour idea of the gaps in the outer walls worked very well, although we didn't have any traps set up.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

59 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

We ought to consider the bait guard tower idea as well, say on two diagonal corners

Depends if we can throw molotov’s through iron bars.  As that would allow us to walk over the whole base.  Also might help stop jumpers - though we’d have to make sure they can’t jump on top of the iron bars with us.

Glad the gaps / path finding works.  Time to make lots of traps for next time.