Xbox Series S

J4MES OX4D

Looks like Mircosoft will be releasing another new next gen console called the Series S. It was rumored and now it is documented in an official product it seems

I mean for fuck sake Microsoft - usually they wait a couple of years before they start producing 50 new consoles but it looks like there will be a variant very soon for a console that isn't even out yet. Next year we'll probably get the Xbox Series X Slim and then it'll be the Xbox Series X X Slim 2 S or some bollocks. 

Microsoft continuing to follow Apple's approach to new products is just the new way of life. Issue for me is more why consumers seem to want different features in the same console, I'd much prefer they did one version but created official interchangeable skins for the consoles so we could change the look of them as and when we wanted. Once you have a console is very rare people buy another diffeent version of it, unless its packed up years later.

I've done a bit of research into this console last couple of days and on the face of it, it may seem a very attractive purchase at such a low price however I don't think this is the case. Firstly it's only 1440p and despite the potential 120fps, it's nothing gaming hasn't seen for nearly 6 years and a step backwards for those using the XB1X or those looking for improvement across the board on that. 

This is also an all-digital console yet the SSD is only 500gb so expect to be able to store no more than 3 games at a time. There is also expected bottleneck issues going forward, so even with these specs, games may not reach the consoles potential. This means many titles may only be 2K/60 and the unit becomes dated after only a couple of years. 

I do think this is great business by Microsoft because it almost guarantees that they get paid off twice because people at some stage will have to upgrade to a XBSX or a future variant. Rather than someone buying the first gen console and keeping it throughout like some that owned the Xbox One VHS version, this format allows them to bait people in and then still get paid off full whack down the line. 

This does not bridge the gap between both generations IMO and just like the Xbox One S and the SAD, it's a bloody waste of money.  People would be better off saving and sticking with the current gen or taking the full plunge on a Series X.  

What I think we all need to understand here alongside the price of the console is all the extras very quickly - i'm talking about additional storage, controllers, etc. Be good to understand if you can use independent  storage or this time round you'll have to buy compatible official Xbox/PS5 gear. Thats when we realise the true cost of next gen me thinks.

13 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

What I think we all need to understand here alongside the price of the console is all the extras very quickly - i'm talking about additional storage, controllers, etc. Be good to understand if you can use independent  storage or this time round you'll have to buy compatible official Xbox/PS5 gear. Thats when we realise the true cost of next gen me thinks.

From interviews earlier this year, the PS5 will have a 825gb SSD and it also supports additional third party storage however only certain types will be compatible to maintain speed consistency and the correct size also applies. This could end up being an additional £150-240 looking at comparable 1tb drives and any official ones may not be much cheaper either. The way it's going, people will need a separate drive just for Warzone alone😂

I think 3rd party controllers will also be widely available at launch and after but many first gen ones may miss the benefits that the official PS5 bad offers until more development is done on them in the long run.  I don't believe PS4 pads are compatible with the new console so that would also render all third party ones obsolete too.