Dead Matter

phil bottle

So, Dead Matter, another attempt at beating or improving on DayZ has now entered a closed alpha.

I took a punt on it while it was in its funding stage, so I have access to it but can't talk about it due to NDA.

There was a bit of an issue with the keys and the game is already been delayed for various reasons so I note that there's a few haters of it already, though I think some people exist just to have angry reactions.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Me. That's me. I exist for angry reactions. 

As much as I love your enthusiasm philly, I am far too cynical to spend money on any alphas or early access anymore. DayZ has been in early access for as long as it's existed, so has Star Citizen and 7D2D. It's become a thing now, where people just keep tinkering on games for as long as they exist and it irritates me. We're effectively funding their hobby. Some games are awesome but when I pay for something, I expect a finished product.

Which if you think about it is fucking retarded, as I also despise all the big-name publishers. 

I'm my own worst enemy, honestly. 

banlol.png

3 hours ago, Diddums said:

As much as I love your enthusiasm philly, I am far too cynical to spend money on any alphas or early access anymore. DayZ has been in early access for as long as it's existed, so has Star Citizen and 7D2D. It's become a thing now, where people just keep tinkering on games for as long as they exist and it irritates me. We're effectively funding their hobby. Some games are awesome but when I pay for something, I expect a finished product.

Which if you think about it is fucking retarded, as I also despise all the big-name publishers. 

I never thought I’d say this Didds but I agree with everything you just said! 😂😂

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 8/28/2020 at 7:24 PM, phil bottle said:

I kind of like funding small developers and seeing where it goes although I don't see me adding any more to the list for a while as I'm up to my eyeballs in unfinished games😅

Its the world we live in now, where everyone wants things yesterday so the only way for devs to meet the balance is to say i'll release it early withthe huge caveat that its an 'alpha'. Having said that, they shouldn't be free of criticism, you can't spend your entire lifecycle in alpha.

I enjoyed that video and now i have a keen interest in DayZ, it made want this even more because of how sleek it looked. Loved the basebuilding ideas shows and also that perk tree elements at the end would definitely make this stand out like Survival RPG. It'll be interesting to see when they will open it up to more people. Any news on that Phil?

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Its the world we live in now, where everyone wants things yesterday so the only way for devs to meet the balance is to say i'll release it early withthe huge caveat that its an 'alpha'. Having said that, they shouldn't be free of criticism, you can't spend your entire lifecycle in alpha.

I enjoyed that video and now i have a keen interest in DayZ, it made want this even more because of how sleek it looked. Loved the basebuilding ideas shows and also that perk tree elements at the end would definitely make this stand out like Survival RPG. It'll be interesting to see when they will open it up to more people. Any news on that Phil?

The worst thing DayZ ever did was go into early access so quickly, it probably set them back years to do it that way, but people were baying for it. It's a shame as it took away people from the mod and when the early access game turned out to be so basic it put a lot of people off DayZ full stop.

Dead Matter won't be open for true early access until next year. I'm in the NDA discord channel and the devs are there all the time, which is nice.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 8/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, Diddums said:

3 years later, they've finally lifted the NDA on this 'DayZ killer' 😅🙈. The following vid covers some of my thoughts on the game. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Costs £30 and currently sitting at a 14% positive score! 

I think we're at the stage where all the decent and established survival games have already been released. I'm certainly not following or risking any money on new ventures especially when the genre has been saturated for a very long time and innovations are rather sparse. 

Definitely one of the riskiest games to produce and get right, and extremely costly too. 

On 9/16/2023 at 1:54 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

Costs £30 and currently sitting at a 14% positive score! 

I think we're at the stage where all the decent and established survival games have already been released. I'm certainly not following or risking any money on new ventures especially when the genre has been saturated for a very long time and innovations are rather sparse. 

Definitely one of the riskiest games to produce and get right, and extremely costly too. 

It's actually looking worse than when I played it 3 years ago. The team making it seems to have changed about a dozen times and it blows my mind that they actually released it and are charging money for it. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

6 hours ago, phil bottle said:

It's actually looking worse than when I played it 3 years ago. The team making it seems to have changed about a dozen times and it blows my mind that they actually released it and are charging money for it. 

I don't really know much about the game but the whole situation smells like Tencent played a part. Probably woefully wrong but everything they seem to touch in this genre goes tits up. 

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I don't really know much about the game but the whole situation smells like Tencent played a part. Probably woefully wrong but everything they seem to touch in this genre goes tits up. 

In this case I thought Tencent getting involved would be a good thing. Started off on kickstarter and promised the earth long before the Chinese got involved 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg