Nvidia RTX 3090 / 3000 Range

J4MES OX4D

As good as some of the rumours are sounding about the RTX3090 I'm having a tough choice deciding what to spend my money on; An RTX3090 or my own private island with change left over for a few cars and a helicopter.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Joking aside, I think one or more of you guys ought to do a Idiot’s Guide to 4k / high end gaming...is it worth it, what you need in the way of GPU, when do you need to step up to liquid cooling, how to work out if your CPU is suitable for use with an upgraded GPU, explain the monitor refresh rates, comparison with other video formats e.g. 144k (?), best monitors for use with the upcoming PS5, etc.

I know it’s a big ask but I think it would be a great help to many of us here and we could possibly sticky it to use as a Q &A thread

@J4MES OX4D  @phil bottle @Greboth@crispymorgan  @Diddums @BO7H B4RRELS and anyone else I’ve missed

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

With my 2 year old 1080ti and one year old i7 8770k I can get 4K in most games and it would be between 30 and 60 frames per second. But forget about raytracing, it can't cope with that.

When I recently bought a new monitor I kept to 1440p, with a high refresh rate. I get 120+ frames on most games with ultra settings. For me, that's perfect. Looks great and plays great.

I'll look at 4K when raytracing GPUs can hit 100 frames on ultra.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I was looking at the Steam Hardware Survey and just 2% of people game in 4K and 6% at 2560x1440. 65% still play in standard 1080p. 4K is still way too expensive and far too costly in terms of performance on most games. 2K is a nice sweet spot if you have a good GPU - some users would rather play at 140+ frames at 1080p at higher settings rather than 50fps+ on lowered settings at 1440p. 

I think 1440p gaming will become very popular in PC gaming in the next 3 years especially with quality monitors being so affordable plus improved panel variety, quality and performance so you aren't tied to primarily just to TN's. Hardcore competitive gamers will probably remain behind and lap up the 280hz/360hz new monitors that will be coming into the market. Casual gamers will definitely be looking for 1440p 144hz 1ms IPS type monitors for around the £300-400 mark. 

High end gaming is definitely not worth it unless you have money to burn and people will always be priced out. The GPU market never moves down in price significantly when new series of cards are released because the old ones are still viable. High end gamers will always have to spend £2000+, midrange is usually £1200-1500 and low end is between £650-1000. The market doesn't change massively even if the tech does. 

11 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Nice posts guys....is there enough info yet to make a call on the ideal monitor spec for a PS5?

Basically 4K to get the most out of the console and the highest framerate possible for the smoothest experience. Most people with low to mid-range 4K tv's are gonna get burned as they wont get the best performance possible. There doesn't seem to be any decent monitor buying guides for the PS5 yet but hopefully we'll get a better idea in the coming months. Be interesting to see new monitors coming into the market with the PS5 in mind. 

So the 12 pin is a single cable rather than 2.  Though I’m not really sure what the benefits of 1x12 pin is over 2x6pin.

According to a leak the pricing will be

3060 - $400

3070 - $600

3080 - $800

3090 - $1400 😰 

So looks like nVidia are continuing their crazy pricing.  Which is a shame as I think it’ll price a lot of people out if the market and even out of the market for second hand 20 series cards as they’re not like to drop much either.

WjMeKiBsiJyVkfEAJbXUWU-650-80.jpg.webp

RTX 3090 Phoenix

• CUDA cores: 5248
  • Clock speed: 1695 MHz (Boost)
  • Memory: 24GB GDDR6X
  • Memory clock: 9750 MHz
  • Bandwidth: 936 GB/s
  • PCIe: Gen 4
  • Max power consumption: 350W
  • Output: HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4a

RTX 3080 Phoenix

• CUDA cores: 4352
  • Clock speed: 1710 MHz (boost)
  • Memory: 10GB GDDR6X
  • Memory clock: 9500 MHz
  • Bandwidth: 760 GB/s
  • PCIe: Gen 4
  • Max power consumption: 320W
  • Output: HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4a

The Nvidia unveiling is happening in a few hours time. 

I might be tempted at those prices to slide a 3070 into Plumber’s Rig if it makes Star Citizen more playable and gives me a little future proofing - anything pitfalls to watch out for with my machine running one of these @Diddums @Grebothas you were the guys that effectively built it? 😊

This is going to be a game changer, mark my words. This is AMD's comeuppance for all the shit they've been dumping all over Intel in the CPU market. 

Whilst expensive, the fact that you're getting so much bang for those bucks at least brings the performance in line with what you're paying. This all remains dependent on what the benchmarks look like obviously, and not what Nvidia's chart says as we all know how easy it is to bullshit charts in your favour. 

I'll be honest, my 2070S is looking a bit dated already if these charts are accurate but there's no reason to update yet, it still shreds at 1440p. It'll suck to see everyone else running circles around me though 😄 

@Plumbers Crack  this will definitely be a boost to SC but keep in mind that that game is still an alpha and extremely poorly optimized. I'd say that the vast majority of the time the game runs poorly, it's not your PC, it's the game. It might be worth playing something that's very well optimized for a bit just to see how well it runs, to give you some context, before you judge your system's performance on SC.

Do yourself a favour Dave, download the following games (all free) and play them for a bit, just to see how things play out. Also ensure you have Nvidia's overlay enabled so you can see your FPS (I have this enabled at all times, let me know if you need instructions):

Planetside 2 (if your PC can run this at good settings and good FPS, it'll run anything, this is a massive game which in the right fight will bring your PC to its knees).

Team Fortress 2

Destiny 2

If you want, even World of Warcraft has a trial (the retail version which is the wanky shit one, but it's worth it just to see how it runs). 

Remember, you can delete all of these whenever you want, it's just for trialling purposes to get some context. 

banlol.png

@Plumbers Crack I can't remember what size power supply ended up in your PC but apparently the 3070 will be a 220W card.  Your CPU is probably 100W or so at a guess so even a 600-650W should be enough though always worth checking these things.  Didd's is correct about testing your card but also worth waiting a little too as AMD will be releasing their new cards soon (next month I think).

@DiddumsI wouldn't be so sure about AMD's comupence.  We're still a while out of their launch but current rumours say AMD won't compete with the halo 3090 but will against the rest of the 3000 series cards and, knowing AMD, be cheaper for it.  Unless you need a GPU right now, today, I can't think of a good reason to not wait a month or so to see what the red team release.

If AMD can match these cards that would be incredible, but it's a pretty tall order when the 3080 alone is almost double the performance of its predecessor. Will be very interesting.

My 1080ti still rules, but it's good to know that when I upgrade it will be to something on another level.

@Plumbers Crack great suggestion from @Diddumstry out one or more of the games he suggested and I'll jump on with you guys too!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

If AMD can match these cards that would be incredible, but it's a pretty tall order when the 3080 alone is almost double the performance of its predecessor. Will be very interesting.

My 1080ti still rules, but it's good to know that when I upgrade it will be to something on another level.

@Plumbers Crack great suggestion from @Diddumstry out one or more of the games he suggested and I'll jump on with you guys too!

I think some of it is just rumours though some info is from leaks though they were correct about a lot of the 3000 series and some is from speculation due to the power of the next gen consoles which are amd powered.

I’m hopeful but amd do have a habit of shooting themselves on the foot with gpu’s so we shall see.

8 hours ago, Diddums said:

This is going to be a game changer, mark my words. This is AMD's comeuppance for all the shit they've been dumping all over Intel in the CPU market. 

Whilst expensive, the fact that you're getting so much bang for those bucks at least brings the performance in line with what you're paying. This all remains dependent on what the benchmarks look like obviously, and not what Nvidia's chart says as we all know how easy it is to bullshit charts in your favour. 

I'll be honest, my 2070S is looking a bit dated already if these charts are accurate but there's no reason to update yet, it still shreds at 1440p. It'll suck to see everyone else running circles around me though 😄 

@Plumbers Crack  this will definitely be a boost to SC but keep in mind that that game is still an alpha and extremely poorly optimized. I'd say that the vast majority of the time the game runs poorly, it's not your PC, it's the game. It might be worth playing something that's very well optimized for a bit just to see how well it runs, to give you some context, before you judge your system's performance on SC.

Do yourself a favour Dave, download the following games (all free) and play them for a bit, just to see how things play out. Also ensure you have Nvidia's overlay enabled so you can see your FPS (I have this enabled at all times, let me know if you need instructions):

Planetside 2 (if your PC can run this at good settings and good FPS, it'll run anything, this is a massive game which in the right fight will bring your PC to its knees).

Team Fortress 2

Destiny 2

If you want, even World of Warcraft has a trial (the retail version which is the wanky shit one, but it's worth it just to see how it runs). 

Remember, you can delete all of these whenever you want, it's just for trialling purposes to get some context. 

Planetside 2 was 44 FPS in a real $hitstorm of a fight, 55 - 60 FPS in a well balanced fight

Is Destiny 2 on PC free? Ignore this, I've just found it

Q2gkMFk632VuutzKCvE7La-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Keeping GPUs cool while also looking bling isn't always easy.

3070ti with 16gb GDDR6 VRAM also seems to be on the way. 

So glad I skipped the 2000 range - it's basically early access for GPU's😂 They are good cards no doubt but very pricey and Raymond Tracing was not viable and has not be within the boundaries of that generation of cards unless people were rocking hefty rigs and willing to suffer a mediocre reduction in performance for some pretty puddles.