Gaming Routers

JBR-Kiwi

So I currently have my VM Superhub 3 in modem mode and is currently hooked up to a Netgear R6250, which I will be completely honest, have no idea is a good router or not only I bought it 5 years ago when the by router I had at the time burnt itself out. 

For a while now I’ve been suffering with persistent lag spike issues in various MP games and was wondering if the router is potentially to blame. 

is there anything I can do in the router settings to help the issue or do I need to consider a router upgrade?

For any of the guys who have gone down this route, what did you go for, was it worth it, and is there anything I should consider before I lie to my wife about how much the new router was...

APmVvKG.gif

I raised a similar thread recently @JBR-Kiwi  as I had never bought my own personal router so with the advice I plumped for a Netgear Nighthawk X6. Link is below:

I have to be honest, if we didn't have @crispymorgan  around to help understand why it didn't just work from the get go then I could've potentially sent it back. Maybe it was just my luck as i would be hopeful any of these Netgear Nighthawk models would just need to be plugged in and away you go. The WiFi is over 200mbps which is fantastic and the range is way better than the VM Superhub 3 that I had (granted I have also changed to Vodafone Gigafast but there router was even worse).

I think you might not need to go for a super expensive one if you are looking at a wired connection to your PS4. How far is the router away from your PS4? If its not easy LAN cable distance have you tried Powerlines already?

Router is literally a meter away from the PS4 and is always running on the Ethernet cable rather then wireless. 

I had a look through your thread and can see you had to do a bit of tinkering to get it working correctly in the end. Ultimately was it something that you might have figured out or am I going to struggle if I end up going for one of these Decepticon looking routers?

APmVvKG.gif

12 hours ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

Router is literally a meter away from the PS4 and is always running on the Ethernet cable rather then wireless. 

I had a look through your thread and can see you had to do a bit of tinkering to get it working correctly in the end. Ultimately was it something that you might have figured out or am I going to struggle if I end up going for one of these Decepticon looking routers?

Decepticon, LOLZ. Thats pretty much what my wife said about what it looks like!

Honestly if you did have any problems, i'm sure we could all help resolve it. Essentially it just helped linking to a laptop or PC to see the admin centre of the router. @crispymorgan  would be able to help i'm sure, as will others. Tbh, I really would expect your router to not need tampering.

There are versions whereby you can just the router or the ones with a modem in built and router - you may need to see if you can do without the modem or if its already screwed into the wall.

Apart from graphics cards, anything with the words "gaming" on it is just a tax on those who don't know better and it drives me up the fucking wall. Does being a gamer mean you get extra performance? Does anyone look at a non-gaming router and go "nah, don't need the extra performance, that's for gamers". No, nobody does. Everyone wants to whack regardless. Fucking thieving scumbags. 

Anyway. 

On 6/15/2020 at 7:51 AM, JBR-Kiwi said:

I had a look through your thread and can see you had to do a bit of tinkering to get it working correctly in the end. 

Ignore that, Leigh's situation was rather different to the norm which is why he was fucking about for ages. All you need is a good router from a good brand, (google reviews on them, tbh the lack of advancement in this tech nowadays means that all but the shittiest models are running on the latest protocols), wired straight in to your PS4, job jobbed. 

Don't go blowing loads of cash on shit you don't need, if there's one thing we can all attest to, it's to you not needing more fucking power in CoD. Your shit ping is the only thing keeping us within the same postcode on the scoreboard.

Have a read here, I've relied on this site (this used to be PC Format magazine for those in the know) and they've always been fairly decent. 

Whatever you do, don't go spunking £200 on a router for the sake of a 2m ethernet cable as 90% of the router cost goes in to the wifi shenanigans. 

banlol.png