Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Apparently they've done away with the shitty level gating and filler side missions which is great. It's now a power level and much less grindy. Still has the casual things like x-ray vision, no fall damage and climb anything anywhere plus it's still a long game but removing that painful grind so they can sell boosters could make a huge difference. 

Lots of promise with also lots of cool ideas how it is different to previous AC games. SkillUp hammered it more so because he expected it to be shorter than Odyssey but it apparently isn't. I think it'll boil down to how much you love the Viking era and can get into the game for long haul on that reason alone. Opening up areas sound like they are one off experiences rather than the same old open map area stuff which has flipped me into thinking i'll get this one maybe as my first PS5 proper full purchase.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Lots of promise with also lots of cool ideas how it is different to previous AC games. SkillUp hammered it more so because he expected it to be shorter than Odyssey but it apparently isn't. I think it'll boil down to how much you love the Viking era and can get into the game for long haul on that reason alone. Opening up areas sound like they are one off experiences rather than the same old open map area stuff which has flipped me into thinking i'll get this one maybe as my first PS5 proper full purchase.

I'm glad they've done away with all the side missions and filler bullcrap but the length of the game does worry me a bit especially as what you do in the first two hours is what you're essentially doing all the way through. Game does look great though but it's a shame Ubisoft have once again got too carried away with scale - they did initially say Valhalla was smaller and shorter than Odyssey but this isn't the case. 

22 hours ago, ChaosGladiator said:

Has anyone actually got this? I was considering picking it up but I'm conflicted due to previous titles 😅

I have it...I just gotta find more time to seclude myself to some hours playing on my own!

45 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I have it...I just gotta find more time to seclude myself to some hours playing on my own!

Well, I actually ended up picking it up yesterday after watching some videos on it. Only played about an hour so far and I spent most of it treasure hunting but I love it! Can't wait to have a proper session on it and explore more and actually progress the story 😂

I've dumped over 100 hours into this so far and I'm not even close to finishing the story.  I'm finding the combat is just terrible.  Whatever you think you knew about "parrying" in games, throw it out the window.  For some reason, instead of hitting a button jst slightly before an enemy attacks, you have to hit it just as the enemy is starting its attack.  Its really bizarre and frustrating at times due to the windows constantly shifting.  Stealth is garbage.  There is literally no reason to be stealthy as there aren't really any concequences.  

The graphics (Especially in 4K!!) sound and exploration are al top notch but i feel the game is too big.  After 100 hours, I should've been done and waiting for DLC.  A lot of the different areas all succomb to the same mundane activities like destroy cursed symbol, gather wealth, complete/solve mysteries etc. etc.

I suppose if i enjoyed the combat more, i'd be more inclined to grind it out.  But as it stands, I really need to stop and take a break here and there. 

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I'm kind of agreeing with the sentiment Chad @Riff Machine  regarding the combat as its a little ropy at the best of times and it feels like button spam is the only way forward in places. I haven't played it anyway near as much as you so i'm bored of it, but it does buck the trend of late with how large the game is compared to other games. I doubt we'll see many games this size over the coming years as people want to complete them and move on.

I'm gonna take my time with it, make it last as I have enjoyed what is in it so far. Plus, its still Vikings.