Anthem 2.0 Reboot

GazzaGarratt

It's quiet over at BioWare and just as they were starting to get canned about the current game still having Christmas decorations up, this happens...

anthem update.jpg

So now we have a reboot. Fair play as I thought it was completely dead in the water for a second (as @Diddums keeps reminding me) and lets face it, I wasn't ever a fan of this but to be impartial to Destiny type games I hoped it would do okay at the very least. This confirmation was the reason I got my wife to buy it as a Christmas present at £4.99. It might be the cost of a pint wasted but if they can pull off anything near what No Mans Sky did, I would rather own the game for a pint now, than have to buy the game for a full round of drinks.

It will be interesting to see what EA have said to BioWare and how they will 'support' this development. I think the amount of players left on the game probably warrants why they might as well get rid of Seasons indefinitely if they can't get a significant amount of people playing the game.

What do you reckon? I mean, if a company will fix the game, for free, then I can't really have a go at them. Especially for a pint of Stella Artois.

Worth picking up for a fiver and I'm sure everyone will get their money's worth but it all feels a bit desperate and there's always a better game out there to be enjoyed. I can't see myself bothering even if the game was free.  

BioWare are absolutely threadbare as a studio right now but the ones remaining may be able to conjure up something half decent just like Sledgehammer did with WW2 but with so many games coming out in the next few months, the revival might be short-lived and a lot of damage has already been done. The studio is too expensive to cull but to barren to make a brand new game it seems - DAI4 news never materialised in December, so supporting Anthem is all they can do and the community bloody deserve it. 

On 2/13/2020 at 9:00 PM, Shucker said:

Bought Anthem off of Amazon for $15 in hopes that the rework of the game is a success. Had some genuine fun with it last night. 

Nice to hear. Still not tried it yet but seen @Nutcuttlit  and @J&B  on it a few days ago so i may jump on if others fancy a night to try it out and help me understand the mechanics.

Judgement week for Anthem - we may never see the 2.0 revival after all

q2YNw2pQLVa3f2yvNDmNiW-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A report says EA executives will examine the game's status and decided whether to commit to the update, or pull the plug.

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Judgement week for Anthem - we may never see the 2.0 revival after all

q2YNw2pQLVa3f2yvNDmNiW-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A report says EA executives will examine the game's status and decided whether to commit to the update, or pull the plug.

EA will do what EA does best. Kill the game that they already had a heavy hand in destroying. They just bought some other studio. They aren't going to sink more money into a game they pushed over the edge with a studio they effectively killed. 

Buh byez. Casey leaving was him saying, "F*ck this. Can't get it to work under these conditions."

anthem.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Nearly two years after the game released.

Well, I lost a fiver so overall it didn't hurt me much based on the fact I bought it for that in the hope it would get a huge free update like No Mans Sky did. Whilst it doesn't change much for me, 2 things stand out. 1, That I find it amazing that a game with such huge budgets, give an extra 2 years of budgets to fix it, can just be given up on and 2, shows that game development is really hard and takes years. Even more so makes games like Destiny standout that they can create big live service world games and make them last, in quite tough evolving conditions.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

1, That I find it amazing that a game with such huge budgets, give an extra 2 years of budgets to fix it, can just be given up on and 2, shows that game development is really hard and takes years. 

I dunno, we all read what happened, they went into with no thought or any idea what they wanted to do, except make money of course. If it's just a soulless exercise for the mighty dollar and no one is putting their heart into it I find it totally normal that it would fail.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Glad they cancelled it - literally the BioWare team left are largely ones that didn't even make the game so it would be asking a lot of them to reboot it when not even the original experienced staff knew what they were doing. The game was essentially dead after a month anyway. 

Hard to believe this was in development for as long as Red Dead Redemption 2 but Anthem clearly had no concise identity of what it wanted to be - it probably started off as an RPG and then they chased a multitude of trends through development and what ultimately dropped was a half-baked concoction in what was then a saturated genre where better alternatives existed that were built as intended from the ground up. 

I hate EA but I don't think they were even the ones to blame here - they gave BioWare a lot of funding and a lot of time too but the devs just made a meal of it. They didn't even have anything other than a few ideas on paper after 2 years. The only thing the publishers were guilty of was not keeping a closer eye on the project. Nice to see EA get partly ridiculed thanks to their existing reputation though. 

BioWare should now focus on Dragon Age 4 solely and I hear that they are dropping all live service features (why the fuck would these be in the game anyway) and keeping it single player which is good. Another studio completely ruined by a failed game but this was so poor on many levels, it was inevitable. It's practically a new team now so let's see what they do with DA4. 

I can’t say I’m surprised it was cancelled.  Considering the negative press they received regarding a lot of the issues with the game, I doubt it would’ve succeeded even with the reboot.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

4 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I hate EA but I don't think they were even the ones to blame here - they gave BioWare a lot of funding and a lot of time too but the devs just made a meal of it. They didn't even have anything other than a few ideas on paper after 2 years. The only thing the publishers were guilty of was not keeping a closer eye on the project. Nice to see EA get partly ridiculed thanks to their existing reputation though. 

I despise EA. Every studio I have loved that they touched is basically dead. They destroy cult-status games and their studios. 

The BioWare acquisition was worrying ever since ME2.

The Anthem mess... yeah, they gave funding, gobs of funding... but also required them to make a GaaS instead of what they do well.

This is similar to the issue on forcing BioWare to use Frostbite for Dragon Age Inquisition.

Yes, BioWare, generally, thought they could make magic happen like they usually do. But, it was not helpful to be dictated guidelines for a game type that they don't typically do.

For BioWare and EA --> A plague on both houses!

At least Sony acquires studios and lets them go do what that studio does well. That's how it should be. Not whatever crazy, greedy, dictatorship EA is.