PlayStation 5 Launches Holiday 2020

The3rdWalker

Since we originally unveiled our next-generation console in April, we know that there’s been a lot of excitement and interest in hearing more about what the future of games will bring. Today I’m proud to share that our next-generation console will be called PlayStation 5, and we’ll be launching in time for Holiday 2020.

These updates may not be a huge surprise, but we wanted to confirm them for our PlayStation fans, as we start to reveal additional details about our vision for the next generation. WIRED magazine covered these updates and more in a story that posted this morning.

The “more” refers to something I’m quite excited about – a preview of the new controller that will ship with PlayStation 5. One of our goals with the next generation is to deepen the feeling of immersion when you play games, and we had the opportunity with our new controller to reimagine how the sense of touch can add to that immersion.

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah. So I assume my astros and sweet ass scuf controller (I got it used, for $50 bucks!!!)are now gonna be useless. 

Nothing confirmed yet about headset though?

Yeah, that its abit annoying about your Scuf. I hesitated because of the talk next year about a new console.

I mean it could be worrying too early because there may be compatible options and adapters to make this stuff work on a PS5. I mean Astros are USB and optical so you gotta expect the PS5 to have them as standard?

Developer kits are always a little more chunky and dont end up being final versions but this one certainly looks out there.

Let's hope physical game versions arent being phased out either...

IMG_20191009_130519.jpg

On 10/11/2019 at 5:33 PM, Dan94 said:

Looks like it says "Lets Go Digital" on the right side, so looks that way

Yeah, I won't be surprised but totally devastated if so. I won't even then have the need to go to browse the local CeX and Game shops as much if this happens.

I'm not a huge fan of digital gaming despite 'owning' well over 500 of them. PC gaming has largely become digital only and with Microsoft releasing the Xbox One SAD edition, it may be a taster of things to come. I'm still hoping Sony will remain traditional but if it's not viable to have physical titles then they will move on. They'll probably want the drive space in the unit to either shrink the system or add more room for cooling and noise reduction elements. 

Next up the industry will probably go exclusively streaming. If this happens then i'll probably give up with new games altogether. I still miss the days of popping into my local GAME store and having a good chat and browse of a wall of quality games. Midnight launches too. New game releases have lost their spark and only a small amount get me hyped these days.  Google Stadia can fuck right off. 

15 hours ago, techno said:

The only problem I see with digital is I can get physical copies of newer games cheaper. 

A lot of PS4 games I bought off eBay for £35 new and then traded in a week later for a profit. I've even got new(ish) games for £20-30 when they are still £50 digitally. I remember when companies justified season passes and microtransactions because of second hand sales so theoretically by this logic, if things do go digital, publishers would remove all such things...No chance of that happening!

3 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

This, there’ll be less competition and less deals

Yep! Digital tax is high so games will be around the £50-60 mark I expect even without production and shipping. It will kill off many retail stores selling as people would likely just buy from source especially if there are pre-order exclusives for the likes of PSN and Xbox Live. Nobody really goes out and buys digital keys from the likes of GAME for instance. 

Instead of companies buying games in bulk, they'll likely just sell them on behalf of the publisher and receive a small 5% cut rather than buy 5,000 copies of a game for most stores at a bulk rate from pre-orders. I couldn't see GAME buying 10,000 keys at £45 a pop for instance.