Bury FC & Bolton Wanderers FC - Kicked out of the EFL

GazzaGarratt

Such a sad day yesterday for football. Bury FC have been expelled from the league due to their dodgy owners racking up huge debt and no one able to save them. At the time of me writing this, Bolton have 14 days extra to avoid being expelled from the EFL.

Theres huge backlash for the whole process and how it has been handled at the EFL. I'm not sure how a club can get to this stage but to find two at the same time going through it, something will have to be done so we never see this again.

Last time it happened it was Maidstone in 1992. As much as they're rivals and i haven't got much love for them, I don't wish for Bolton to be kicked out because of the greedy owners. I would literally be destroyed if it happened to Blackburn.

I'm not sure what reform could happen after this - I do fully support that the EFL should do more but its working out what they can do.

It's a devastating situation for all involved and these two wont be the last either to experience this. The EFL are an absolute disgrace to keep allowing crooks into football clubs and their 'fit and proper' tests are clearly unfit for purpose. Seems no lessons were learned after the Pompey situation. I just hope Bury don't get fully liquidated and that they can rejoin a league that's not too far down the pyramid. Bolton have been given a fortunate stay of execution but their situation is equally dire - if they can't do anything in 3 months then 14 days may not make much of a difference but at least it's one final chance and they have tried to contribute this season. 

What I find fucking unreal is that the EFL and FA allow the clubs and remaining players to be registered for a fee and then they are told after paying that they may not meet the requirements to see out the season. 

Two results from 11 years ago:

Bayern Munich 2-2 Bolton

Bolton 1-0 Athletico Madrid

How times change. 

Everywhere we turn lately things are fucked up and it's not going to get any better any time soon.

We visited Bury last November, it was grim.

21st century Britain after 10 years of austerity and 30 years of rampant capitalism.

Poundland dictator Boris will sort it out, I'm sure of it [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Bolton have been saved thankfully

_97584297_breaking_news.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Bolton Wanderers' survival is secured as Football Ventures (Whites) Limited completes its protracted takeover of the club.

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Bolton have been saved thankfully

_97584297_breaking_news.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Bolton Wanderers' survival is secured as Football Ventures (Whites) Limited completes its protracted takeover of the club.

This is top news. Rather be playing a local rival in the future than never again.

We'll have to see what happens over the next few days as I would hope some government pressure also makes the EFL come out with some action plan.

9 hours ago, ChaosGladiator said:

At least Bolton will live on... I have so much respect for that club ever since they had the likes of Jay-Jay embarras defenders in the PL.

Not gotta deny that Allardyce made some very shrewd signings back in the day...but now they're saved noraml service of being rivals in a lower league can continue! 😄

Talk of Bury being reinstated to League 2 for next season with other clubs being consulted about this possibility. I think this would be the best solution - relegated Bury this season by default and then allow them to compete again if they can prove their sustainability by early next year. They would have to be monitored closely and they cannot be as reckless as they have been in recent years. The EFL bear a considerable amount of responsibility for the situation so it would be brutally unfair to liquidate them entirely when certain things were forced upon them. Police are also investigating potential internal fraud. 

Bolton have manged to assemble a senior squad to complete for the rest of the season. Lots of teams got a free hit against them resulting in a few 5-0's so it's brutally unfair on the teams that have to play them in their better state. They should have been relegated by default and reintroduced next year and should not have been allowed to start the season in the state they were in. 

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Lots of teams got a free hit against them resulting in a few 5-0's so it's brutally unfair on the teams that have to play them in their better state.

I'll take that...😎

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 9/3/2019 at 8:13 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

Talk of Bury being reinstated to League 2 for next season with other clubs being consulted about this possibility. I think this would be the best solution - relegated Bury this season by default and then allow them to compete again if they can prove their sustainability by early next year. They would have to be monitored closely and they cannot be as reckless as they have been in recent years. The EFL bear a considerable amount of responsibility for the situation so it would be brutally unfair to liquidate them entirely when certain things were forced upon them. Police are also investigating potential internal fraud. 

Bolton have manged to assemble a senior squad to complete for the rest of the season. Lots of teams got a free hit against them resulting in a few 5-0's so it's brutally unfair on the teams that have to play them in their better state. They should have been relegated by default and reintroduced next year and should not have been allowed to start the season in the state they were in. 

Sensible answer for Bury. I think Bolton are fine as I think they're likely to be relegated anyway. Having said that, the issue that was wrong with Bolton was that they didn't get the same punishment as Bury even though they didn't meet the deadline. That was the unfair thing about it all. Just because they started the season doesn't mean a thing, they had the same issue of needing new owners and didn't meet the deadline so really harsh for Bury to take their fate.

15 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Sensible answer for Bury. I think Bolton are fine as I think they're likely to be relegated anyway. Having said that, the issue that was wrong with Bolton was that they didn't get the same punishment as Bury even though they didn't meet the deadline. That was the unfair thing about it all. Just because they started the season doesn't mean a thing, they had the same issue of needing new owners and didn't meet the deadline so really harsh for Bury to take their fate.

Exactly. Bury got kicked out on the same day Bolton got a two week extension. Perhaps if Bury just registered fans to play each week until a deal was secured, they also would have got an extension. All Bolton did was take advantage of academy players who weren't being paid. Both Bury and Bolton were registered to play this season with the only difference being Bury didn't employ a load of voluntary workers to prolong the agony. Typical EFL though; rules are different for each club.