WImbledon 2019

J4MES OX4D

Thought I might rehash your thread @J4MES OX4D to make the most of it! 😄

Story of this year has to be the 15 year old Cori (Coco) Gauff beating Venus Williams in the first round and after last night she's ended up in the last 16 coming back from 1 set down and a matchpoint at 2-5 in the second. Unbelieveably good, she could literally be around for the next 25 years collecting the trophies, you can see shes that good.

Such a gulf of class between Andy Murray and the rest of the British contingent. Its funny how we've not had many Tennis stars considering how large Wimbledon is.

The mens side looks as if it could be a Djokivic vs Nadal/Federer final already. Nadal beating Kyrgios in the 2nd round was a top game too. Nadal has never been that fired up before due to Kyrgios' antics on the court.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Such a gulf of class between Andy Murray and the rest of the British contingent. Its funny how we've not had many Tennis stars considering how large Wimbledon is.

Not just that but British Tennis as a whole for decades practically. Pretty insane considering the amount of investment that's gone into the sport and the facilities available in this country.

I think one of the big factors is that it's quite a 'snobby' and elitist sport which alienates many and prices young people out of the game with the financial barriers to entry. I was coached by Tim Henman's brother Richard when I was a kid and it was about £50 for a week which was pretty reasonable during the summer holidays but if you wanted regular coaching throughout the season, it was something like £3,000. I just went back to playing casually at the local courts with a few friends now and then. 

Kyle Edmund also bowed out after being 2-0 up in sets and 3-0 up in games which gave me Greg Rudsedski PTSD flashbacks. 

Aw man, I loved good old Greg 😢 miss that huge serve he had. Kyle Edmund really screwed it up didn't he. He also seems very temperamental; needs to get his head into a more disciplined state.

I'm looking forward to watching the second week. Added bonus that we get to see Andy Murray with Serena Williams in the mixed doubles. I think the game would benefit from more top singles players doing both formats.

7 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I used to love watching Wimbledon. 

So did I until they turned to MK Dons😎

7 hours ago, phil bottle said:

There's no characters any more that make me give a shit. Apart from Nick Kyrgios. He has a place in my heart.

Yeah, it's pretty dull now Tennis. When Novak, Fed and co all retire, there's gonna be no big names or characters left. Wimbledon feels a bit soulless this year as does tennis as a whole.