Not really enjoying Civ 6

Docwagon

I had a lot of fun with CIv 5 but started getting bored with it.  I picked up the "Gold" edition of Civ 6, which doesn't have "Rise and Fall" or "Gathering Storm" but most of the DLC civs.

Production lags behind tech and culture so badly.  It takes forever to build much.  I don't care for the city planner aspect of it, and there's so many moving parts it rapidly bogs down and becomes a slog about mid-game.  

Anyone try any mods that improve the experience and make it more like a better version of 5, or is it just what it is?

Not that it helps, I didn't move past Civ 5, which I really enjoyed. I read in an review that Civ 6 moved in a slightly different direction and early was a bit too simplistic. Evolving slightly with loyalty, governors, espionage changes, disasters and climate change mechanics. Is that something you noticed?

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I never really got into CIV 6 - the aesthetics were a bit of a turn-off and it felt like they simplified everything like a mobile game. The problem with a lot of these strategy games nowadays is the DLC is essential and basic features are hidden in the expansions. CIV V was the similar before Brave New World and Gods and Kings but the base game was much better whereas 6 is somewhat threadbare. I would ask in the game forum https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/ or browse the popular tabs in the workshop as they may contain some game changers such as modifiers to time and balance to other elements. 

It's complicated in ways that should be irrelevant and simplistic in other ways.  The city planning is just an annoyance.  Want to build a factory?  Well, you've got to build an industrial zone first.  Then build a workshop, which only increases production for the one city.  Then build a factory, which will increase production in every city within 6 hexes of the district *if* they aren't already under the umbrella of an existing factory.  Same for "amenities", which replaces happiness and is much more opaque.   So now you can't just settle cities based on resources, you have to plan for a network of interwoven districts.

The AI is still retarded, especially in war.  Let me use my knight to charge your tank, killing my unit and doing 1 damage to you.

Resource management is simplified.  Each strategic resource is basically unlimited.  If you have 2 iron mines, you can crank out as many units as you want that require 2 iron or less.  Luxury resources grant you 4 copies that are automatically parceled out amongst your cities.  So "happiness" is now more city by city, but still with a global influence.

Playing tall is death.  You *have* to expand regardless of what victory type you are going for, although I hear the expansions modify that a bit.

There's a religious victory now, which is kind of stupid.  It counts the majority cities you own, not just your settled cities.  I lost to Russia by conquering their empire, tilting my empire to their religion after wiping out most of the other civs (playing as Macedonia).  Zero of my home cities were following Russia's religion.

There's a ton of new units, none of which you will build because production is so limited, even with the correct policy cards, etc.  

Gold is much less useful.  The exchange rate to production is horrendous, and you can't bribe city-states.  The only thing gold is for is maintaining your stuff until very late game when you can finally afford a few units.

The new spy system is annoying.  Spies take a lot of production to build and it's impossible to build enough to protect your empire.  Cultural victory?  Watch spies steal your great works.  Science victory?  Watch them sabotage your spaceports and steal your tech.  Of course you can do the same to them, but if you make enough spies something else is going to be lacking.

In short, there's too many moving parts and not enough production to play with them all.  Your empire is bound to have some massive flaw, as is every other empire.  You will steam roll anyone who goes for an early religion because you used your production for two archers and a swordsman, which will now easily take a town.  Cities can't fight back until you've build walls, which take a lot of production and have to be upgraded each era.

I've done three play throughs.  Cultural victory as Brazil, Science as Arabia, and Domination as Greece (after reloading and not conquering Russia so quickly).  I found all of them rather boring. 

35 minutes ago, Docwagon said:

Old thread, but I got all the content on black Friday.  Much better game with all the DLC.

I hate that it's better with all the DLC. The only one I have turned off is "Rise and Fall"... but the others, I tend to leave on. I desperately miss the mechanics of Civ IV.

Have you tried Humankind? It's complex in its own ways. Some of what you see in Civ VI is "inspired"/"taken" from Endless Legend developed by Amplitude. So, some of the mechanics in Endless Legend are in Civ VI... and Amplitude's newest game Humankind.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:32 PM, RenFengge said:

I hate that it's better with all the DLC. The only one I have turned off is "Rise and Fall"... but the others, I tend to leave on. I desperately miss the mechanics of Civ IV.

Have you tried Humankind? It's complex in its own ways. Some of what you see in Civ VI is "inspired"/"taken" from Endless Legend developed by Amplitude. So, some of the mechanics in Endless Legend are in Civ VI... and Amplitude's newest game Humankind.

Nah, I'll wait for price drops and fixes.  I've learned my lesson on early ins.