Anyone using Garmin Connect?

Docwagon

On 1/24/2021 at 2:42 PM, Docwagon said:

I don't know if you ever decided to jump on this or not, but another reason the Garmin helps motivate me is watching improvements.  Run times decreasing, VO2 max increasing, etc.  I've set two new personal bests this month.  Today:

28:30 5k today in a light snow. Previous best was 28:56 last July.
Heart rate data shows 154 bpm average today, vs 173 bpm last July, so a touch faster but at a much lower effort level.

Similarly, on the 19th I set a new personal best for 10k at 59:27.  That's 5:06 minutes faster then I was at the end of 2019.

I didn't but the prices are coming down to better prices that i'd be interested in. The Garmin Vivoactive 3 with Music would be ideal I think and maybe push me out more to try and do more runs around the area. I do think having a few more people to do step challenges with @RenFengge  could be the right push I need to do more fitness.

11 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I didn't but the prices are coming down to better prices that i'd be interested in. The Garmin Vivoactive 3 with Music would be ideal I think and maybe push me out more to try and do more runs around the area. I do think having a few more people to do step challenges with @RenFengge  could be the right push I need to do more fitness.

If you're going to take your phone with you, you don't really need the music aspect, IMO.  I guess if you don't want to have your phone with you then it makes more sense.  I always have my phone with me, though, and I let my music play through the phone speakers since I don't want headphones blocking out the world around me.  

Garmin also shows you your training load which helps you see if you're pushing too hard, not hard enough, etc.  I've been "productive" but we had snow/ice and I didn't run for two days, only walked.  Yesterday I went to "peaking" which means you're recovered from previous loads but aren't detraining yet.  I ran a 27:45 5k today, a new personal best by 45 seconds.

I'm debating on waiting to see what the Google/Fitbit acquisition produces in terms of new trackers. I legit don't really care that Google holds all my information... and, at this point, everything I do is a conscious decision to let Google essentially be the main place for my data.

If, let's say, a decent amount of people here are on Garmin, I might make the switch. Mentally, I try to approach my fitness more like a game. I need to level myself up to be able to do things I want to do. Throwing in various challenges with people I actually am somewhat invested in might make it even more worthwhile.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:24 PM, Docwagon said:

It works.

On the topic of the 5k training program I'm doing, I did 37m 50s today, and that was with a 5 minute warm-up "slow jog".  Obviously not great, but not bad where I'm at.  I'm dropping the weight I put on after my last injury, which will of course help.  I was at 242 when I had to stop running, am at 254 now.  For reference, I was 215 when I could do 2 miles in 13 minutes.  I'm shooting for 210 or under before I start picking up much strength training again.  My knee is going to do a lot better if I can get my weight back down and I'm not as into picking up heavy things as I used to be.

Almost two years later, I'm at 208.4 as of this morning, and am in significantly better shape.  I can do a 1 mile run in right at 8 minutes, 5k in under 28 minutes, 10k in under 60 minutes.

The Garmin has been really helpful, both in terms of motivation and in data points and feedback.

1 hour ago, Docwagon said:

Almost two years later, I'm at 208.4 as of this morning, and am in significantly better shape.  I can do a 1 mile run in right at 8 minutes, 5k in under 28 minutes, 10k in under 60 minutes.

The Garmin has been really helpful, both in terms of motivation and in data points and feedback.

That's super amazing! I'm super jealous on those times! But, I also hate running hahaha.

Congrats on all the hard work.

I didn't scroll up, but what are your goals?

8 hours ago, RenFengge said:

That's super amazing! I'm super jealous on those times! But, I also hate running hahaha.

Congrats on all the hard work.

I didn't scroll up, but what are your goals?

Thanks.  185-200 lbs, then work on strength mostly as I move in that range.  I'm kicking around the idea of a half marathon, but no time goal. Just run the whole thing. 

On 3/18/2021 at 2:41 PM, Docwagon said:

202.8 lbs is my lowest so far, so getting close to the magic <200.

I jogged 10.1 miles in 1:39 day before yesterday to get a 15km challenge from Garmin done.  Rested yesterday with a 5 mile walk but no jogging.  5 mile jog today, but on the treadmill since weather is shit.

Awesome going Doc! You'll totally have this in the next few weeks i'm sure 👊❤️

On 3/20/2021 at 10:33 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Awesome going Doc! You'll totally have this in the next few weeks i'm sure 👊❤️

Thanks.  I was 202.6 this morning and set a new 5k PR: 26:25 replacing 27:13.  I think I could break 26:00 if I did a .25 mile or so warm-up, as my first mile is always my slowest.  My best mile was 8:07.

3 hours ago, RenFengge said:

How did it go?

I hate running, but I am also considering starting training for Murph... which involves running lol. And, Trail running is at least scenic lol.

It went pretty well.  I had ran 6.27 miles on the road the day before so I wasn't trying to set any pace records.  With all the hills, having to do a few log crossings over big puddles/muddy spots, and the like I was quite happy with the 9:41 minute/mile pace.  I was probably a bit faster as the GPS signal was spotty in a few places and the track shows me going over a pond instead of the nearby road, etc.

I will say I've been bushed for the rest of the day, though.  I keep thinking to get off my ass and change the oil in my truck, but I'm enjoying sitting on my ass for awhile.  I'm not sore or stiff, I'm just tired. 

I did make pizzas on the Kamado when I got home, though, so at least I refueled. 😄

It took a little longer than I expected, but *finally* dipped under 200.  I'd hit 200.6, 200.4, but had bounced back up a little after each.  Today was 199.8.  Yes, the difference is miniscule but the milestone was important to me.

I did another trail run yesterday.  Different trail, so it's hard to compare times but I think this one was more challenging due to bigger hills:

7.13 mi
Distance
1:07:34
Time
9:29 min/mi
Avg Pace
554 ft
Elev Gain
1,022 C
Calories

Best road times now:
5K 24:48      
10K 55:00 

40 minutes ago, Docwagon said:

It took a little longer than I expected, but *finally* dipped under 200.  I'd hit 200.6, 200.4, but had bounced back up a little after each.  Today was 199.8.  Yes, the difference is miniscule but the milestone was important to me.

I did another trail run yesterday.  Different trail, so it's hard to compare times but I think this one was more challenging due to bigger hills:

7.13 mi
Distance
Time
Avg Pace
554 ft
Elev Gain
1,022 C
Calories

Best road times now:

Really good times there. 

My best 5k is 21. 41 and 10k 49.42

slamminbones.png

You must've felt awesome to see the number drop below 200 Doc?! Well done mate, worked hard and earned that reward 😎 @Docwagon

I don't think I could get near 2.5 hours, let alone 25 minutes for 5k!

1 hour ago, Docwagon said:

7.13 mi
Distance
Time
Avg Pace
554 ft
Elev Gain
1,022 C
Calories

Best road times now:

The difference is miniscule, but the milestone is amazing! Congrats! Well done! The work pays off!

As much as I hate running, I am actually contemplating taking up trail running. Just seems more... interesting than running through a city. I'm on a semi-serious mission to improve my cardio/endurance.

I love trail running as long as I wear the correct footwear but I only own 3 pairs of running shoes but last year I ran this event and to date is the hardest trail I've run. 

Not sure what happened to the map as it's a garmin issue as I get the same on the garmin connect app. 

Screenshot_20210427_232103_com.strava.jpg

slamminbones.png

I did my first official race, a night trail run:

7.23 mi
Distance
1:11:54
Time
9:57 min/mi
Avg Pace
371 ft

Elev Gain

62nd out of 475, 13th in my age/sex group.

I was a little off my pace.  I had to quit running for about a month because I tore some muscles in my abdomen, and that hurt my training regime of course.  Plus, you know, taco trucks out west. 😄

12 hours ago, Docwagon said:

I did my first official race, a night trail run:

7.23 mi
Distance
1:11:54
Time
9:57 min/mi
Avg Pace
371 ft

Elev Gain

62nd out of 475, 13th in my age/sex group.

I was a little off my pace.  I had to quit running for about a month because I tore some muscles in my abdomen, and that hurt my training regime of course.  Plus, you know, taco trucks out west. 😄

Nice one. 

Did you get a medal? 

I quite enjoy trail events got 3 events coming up one of which is a trail which will be mostly beach and sand dunes. 

Do you use strava? 

slamminbones.png

On 6/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, slamminbones said:

Nice one. 

Did you get a medal? 

I quite enjoy trail events got 3 events coming up one of which is a trail which will be mostly beach and sand dunes. 

Do you use strava? 

Yeah, it's a pretty nice one.  It's heavy, it feels substantial so you feel like you did something. 😄  T-shirt as well.  Pic attached.

No, I just use Garmin.  I do use "Livetrack" to let my wife see my progress in real time.

20210627_081126.jpg

32 minutes ago, Docwagon said:

Yeah, it's a pretty nice one.  It's heavy, it feels substantial so you feel like you did something. 😄  T-shirt as well.  Pic attached.

No, I just use Garmin.  I do use "Livetrack" to let my wife see my progress in real time.

Nice medal.

I have an over haul of t-shirts which I've seen people have had them turned into a blanket which I may end up doing as most of them just get but in the back of the draw. 

I only use Strava well my data syncs to garmin them it transfers over to Strava. 

slamminbones.png

My 3 year old Fenix 5X Sapphire refused to power on and could not be reset by me or by the customer service rep over the phone.  She told me I was out of warranty so they couldn't repair it, but they would send me a replacement for free. I was floored. I expected to send it in for service at my expense or just be told it was now a brick and to buy a new one, I didn't ask for or even remotely expect a free replacement on an out of warranty *refurbished* watch that had a 90 day warranty originally.

I got my replacement in a few days and have used it on several walks/hikes/runs since and it works with no issue.

I'm pretty pleased with Garmin's customer service.