Andy Murray Retirement

GazzaGarratt

Full news story here https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/tennis/46833018?__twitter_impression=true

Britain's Andy Murray says he plans to retire after this year's Wimbledon but fears next week's Australian Open could be the final tournament of his career.

The three-time Grand Slam winner, who is struggling to recover from hip surgery, was in tears at a news conference in Melbourne on Friday.

"I'm not sure I'm able to play through the pain for another four or five months," said the 31-year-old Scot.

"I want to get to Wimbledon and stop but I'm not certain I can do that."

However, Murray says he still intends to play his Australian Open first-round match against Spanish 22nd seed Roberto Bautista Agut next week.

It must be horrible to have to be stop the thing you love because of something beyond your control. Whilst us English have always had that Scot joke going for Forever and a day, you can't take away what he's done for British sport and Tennis as a whole.

For him to win 3 Grand Slams and perform like he did in arguably the best era for producing top tennis stars (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic) is amazeballs. I remember his Grand Slam at Wimbledon and I also remember his Gold Medal at London Olympics. Great feeling to see a man like that beat the cream of the crop and I hope his body can not be too broken so we can see him in one last Wimbledon.

What a legend, a stand up guy and someone who put all their effort in becoming the best he could be. Like you say, hes been playing during arguably the best era for tennis and he's been an absolute beast. Will be a shame to see him retire because of an injury.

I hope he's fit enough for Wimbledon this year.

20 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Why doesn’t he just pull out of the Aussie Open and save himself for Wimbledon? Contractual commitments?

It may be down to him now being able to qualify automatically. However, I'm still with you because there's no doubt that Wimbledon would give him a wild card anyway.

20 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I'd say he looks pretty miserable but to be honest it's hard to tell emoji23.png

Yeah, I didn't want to be too harsh this time round 😂

22 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

He lost his 'last' match. Looked a good game. Hopefully he'll bow out at Wimbledon instead even if he's on one of the outer courts as a wildcard. 

Maybe he'll be eligible to enter the wheelchair tournament instead😎

If it isn't his last match then it showed on the news how awkward it would be for Andy after all the greats of his era were saying thank you and well done for his his career in a short video at the end of the match.