Overwatch Coaching

crispymorgan

I'm looking for a coach to try and turn our shower, into a slick killing machine.  Anyone interested (in being coached)?  It might mean making a certain evening a regular thing, as I don't want people wasting their time to help us out.  Also, we'll start recording our gameplay and uploading it for video analysis and comments.  Who's in!??!?!

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

Down for this but we need more regulars to play
Yep, we need more people to get back into it but it's slowly coming back into our lives. It would be a good little series to follow to see how far you could actually go with a little coaching.

So I headed over to our friends at OCUK to see if I could find some friends to play overwatch with.   A couple of guys added me and I grabbed a game with one.  One small problem, he peaked at about Master, and I'm wallowing in Gold, fortunately  he's bombed enough so I can play.  I've been playing a lot of soldier so thought I'd give it a whirl.  I just get my ass handed to me.  Shut down at every possible turn.  The rest of the team (understandably) are getting a bit pissed off with me.  We lost the first round hard.  I decide to mix it up and get my star player out.  Moira to the rescue.  I start well and even when the team die, I'm holding the point giving people a chance to come back without giving it away.  Couple of nicely timed ults as we press on.  The key thing with Moira is that the ult is primarily a healing tool.  At this level blowing an ult for damage alone is a no-no.  Round 2 won, team are happier.  Round 3, more of the same, getting into it now.  Falling back and moving as a unit, something sadly you just don't get to experience on quick play.  It's pretty obvious that the SR doesn't directly translate to PC from PS4, I was working really hard to not die.  Playing attacking Bastion here would not be smart.  Anyway, there you have it!

9 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

So I headed over to our friends at OCUK to see if I could find some friends to play overwatch with.   A couple of guys added me and I grabbed a game with one.  One small problem, he peaked at about Master, and I'm wallowing in Gold, fortunately  he's bombed enough so I can play.  I've been playing a lot of soldier so thought I'd give it a whirl.  I just get my ass handed to me.  Shut down at every possible turn.  The rest of the team (understandably) are getting a bit pissed off with me.  We lost the first round hard.  I decide to mix it up and get my star player out.  Moira to the rescue.  I start well and even when the team die, I'm holding the point giving people a chance to come back without giving it away.  Couple of nicely timed ults as we press on.  The key thing with Moira is that the ult is primarily a healing tool.  At this level blowing an ult for damage alone is a no-no.  Round 2 won, team are happier.  Round 3, more of the same, getting into it now.  Falling back and moving as a unit, something sadly you just don't get to experience on quick play.  It's pretty obvious that the SR doesn't directly translate to PC from PS4, I was working really hard to not die.  Playing attacking Bastion here would not be smart.  Anyway, there you have it!

Nice to see you giving this a go mate and top work with Moira, as always!

Do you think the attitude is a difficult one to overcome if we want to put a team together and get better? Dont get me wrong, we all want to win and get pissed sometimes when something goes wrong but I'd love an environment where there are people willing to learn but dont go too far as to get annoyed with each other to the point it just makes people quit.

Not sure it exists though?

I'm much less stressed at the moment (with gaming anyway).  There are so many easy improvements to make that could lift everyone 2-300 SR overnight.  Playing as a team, is very rewarding.   The guy I played with last night has played at GM level on PC with a controller, that's insane.  It's game sense over mechanical every time. 

2 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I'm much less stressed at the moment (with gaming anyway).  There are so many easy improvements to make that could lift everyone 2-300 SR overnight.  Playing as a team, is very rewarding.   The guy I played with last night has played at GM level on PC with a controller, that's insane.  It's game sense over mechanical every time. 

I'm with you and and I really want to improve too. I just would rather have a team that has patience with you and are willing to give constructive feedback rather than just get pissed off with us. Do you think a few of them are willing to make the jump and give it a whirl over here perhaps? Or too sweaty to go there?

We had the same thing with Rainbow 6 and shit was getting interesting with that. I'd love to pick that up again, just needs the right person to be calm and helpful.

To be honest I think we could do some of own coaching first.  With the change to playing OW on pc too I watched some tips videos and picked up a few things I had never thought of.  Not all had something that useful but still picked up a few tips that I’ve been trying to implement.

I also think we could do some of our analysis as it’s much easier to think I could have done x, y or z there outside the heat of battle.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png