FG Realms Discussion Thread

Spacedeck

I guess that is part of admin commands.  I’d build anything close enough or with a way to get to it for those without admin commands.  I’m just conscious that loading lots of farms will stress the server and I don’t know how powerful the server is.  Though most farms don’t need to be loaded or running all that often.

Price? It’s only resources I’ve mined to build with I’m protective of.  Anything the farms produce is free for all :) 

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I have admin rights already :) I’m just assuming that not everyone that joins will have admin rights so need transport for those mortals :lol: 

Working from home today so hopped on a lunch and dug out most of the hole for the other half of the kelp farm.  I set up 2 furnaces as well to start making the dried kelp but they’re just a starter as even half the farm produces faster than they can smelt.  Once the full farm and full smelter is up and running it shouldn’t take long to produce enough fuel to runs itself then free fuel :D 

16 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Redstone tech

I’d watch some youtube video’s, there are some great introduction to redstone videos.  I like Mumbo Jumbo’s videos for it but there’s plenty of others.  Once you have the basics down you start to see how the bigger redstone builds are just using those concepts over and over.

16 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I got to xp30 and enchanted the pick axe...efficiency 5 and unbreaking 4......not what I really wanted but better than nowt!

Nice, not the best enchantment but it does for a general purpose pick.  I know you got a fortune pick afterwards which is great especially when you find diamonds.

After going through almost all my levels and diamonds I finally got a silk touch pick :D On the positive side I don’t think I’m going to run out of picks for quite a while.  Now just to find enough diamonds to make other tools and armour.

So I built a factory style brick building round the kelp farm.  The 2 smelter temporary set up really isn’t keeping up anywhere near enough.  So next step is definitely to build a larger furnace array.  Once done, I’ll set it up in such a way all the dried kelp goes in to chests for anyone to access as they need it :) 

3 hours ago, Greboth said:

So I built a factory style brick building round the kelp farm.  The 2 smelter temporary set up really isn’t keeping up anywhere near enough.  So next step is definitely to build a larger furnace array.  Once done, I’ll set it up in such a way all the dried kelp goes in to chests for anyone to access as they need it :) 

Nice but where’s the door? I couldn’t see it ...

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Haha there isn’t a door, I need to take the flow of kelp out of the building once I’ve built the furnace array but there really isn’t any need to go in to the kelp farm so didn’t build a door.
Every day's a school day! [emoji4] [emoji106]

Via the FG App

13 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Every day's a school day! emoji4.pngemoji106.png

Via the FG App

I’m lazy, I think that is why I love building farms so much.  As you build it and then never really need to touch it again and they just produce lots and lots of items.

So furnace array built and it seems to be working alright.  There’s no building around it yet so it looks a bit of a mess.  The furnace array is at the back (away from spawn) of th kelp farm.  I’ve designed it so the first 3 double chests of dried kelp get filtered off so I can keep the furnaces fueled but any excess will go to the chests at the front of the kelp farm.  You’ll need go craft the dried kelp in to kelp blocks manually but then you’re good to go.

If people want to smelt a lot of anything (sand to glass, cobble to smoth stone etc) I can build a second furnace array for this.

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

If people want to smelt a lot of anything (sand to glass, cobble to smoth stone etc) I can build a second furnace array for this.

This would be good Greboth...make it so (please) 

10 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

This would be good Greboth...make it so (please) 

Right away Captain Piccard...I mean Plumber :lol:

I might need to borrow some iron though as I used almost all of mine making this smelter.  Either that or time for serious mining.

It’s a design copied from a tutorial as their version is a lot more compact than mine.  Basically though, when a hoppeinecart with items in goes over a regular hopper it drops 1 item in to it.  This item is them put in to the furnace to smelt.  Where this design gets clever is that because a dried kelp block can smelt 20 items it puts 20 kelp in each furnace every time it activates.  At the basic level this is just maths - A hopper minecart hold 5 stacks (5x64 = 320 items) so run that over 16 furnaces and you get 20 items per furnace.  The clever bit (and the bit smaller than my design) is it holds the hopperminecart until is full from the farm.  It will loop round and round, depositing 1 item in to each furnace every time until it is empty.  When empty it goes a different route to the filling station.  It sits there until the farm fills is back up and then it will automatically be released to fill the furnaces again.

You could just collect the items straight away but I like the industrial piping look.  So all the dried kelp goes in to a dropper which with a little redstone will output anything put in it.  This will float up the water stream, across the water stream over the top of the kelp farm and be stored in the chests at the front of it.

If you want to see it in action, if you go down the hole at the front of the farm there are chests full of kelp from when I initially built the farm.  Take some of it and place it directly in to the hopper minecart, as soon as its full it will set off.  Just don’t stand on the rails to do this like I did....errr I mean some other idiot did :lol: 

As for iron, I might have enough actually.  I made enough hoppers for a fuel line too but didn’t build it.  I’ll check later and let you know.

So I managed to get the new furnace array to smelt all the kelp stored from before.  It's filled its fuel store chests and then some! I think I've crafted about 7 or 8 stacks of dried kelp blocks which I've left in the bottom left chest of the collection chests.  I've put up a sign as well just so you all know it is free fuel :D

@Plumbers Crack I've had a quick count and I think I may be alright on iron - it depends on the exact design I build for the new smelter as to how many hoppers are needed.  I can't see I'll need more than maybe 30 iron than I currently have but I'll probably do some more mining before it is finished so may have enough.  I'll let you know if I need more as I'm building the new furance array.  As you've requested it, is there anywhere specific you'd like it to be?  I'm guessing somewhere near your house? :P

25 minutes ago, Greboth said:

So I managed to get the new furnace array to smelt all the kelp stored from before.  It's filled its fuel store chests and then some! I think I've crafted about 7 or 8 stacks of dried kelp blocks which I've left in the bottom left chest of the collection chests.  I've put up a sign as well just so you all know it is free fuel :D

@Plumbers Crack I've had a quick count and I think I may be alright on iron - it depends on the exact design I build for the new smelter as to how many hoppers are needed.  I can't see I'll need more than maybe 30 iron than I currently have but I'll probably do some more mining before it is finished so may have enough.  I'll let you know if I need more as I'm building the new furance array.  As you've requested it, is there anywhere specific you'd like it to be?  I'm guessing somewhere near your house? :P

Not too far away please or put up a sign with the co-ords on for teleporting? Or, put it by the kelp farm and have a control circuit so only one of the arrays can work at time...should be a doodle for a man of your technical ability! 😉😘

11 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Not too far away please or put up a sign with the co-ords on for teleporting? Or, put it by the kelp farm and have a control circuit so only one of the arrays can work at time...should be a doodle for a man of your technical ability! 😉😘

The one at the kelp farm is dedicated to kelp as you need to dry all the kelp before you can turn it into fuel.  It is a shame that you have to do some crafting else you could feed the output of the kelp farm smelter directly into another super smelter.

I’ll build another one, for general purpose smelting somewhere else.  I should be on tonight so will take a look around for where it can fit in round spawn :) It will be a slightly different design but will work the same.  I think it will be the same number of furnaces for now but will build it so it can be expanded in the future incase we need to smelt even more stuff.

Right, the start of a super smelter is underway.  I've put some signs on with instructions but basically put what you want smelted in the top chest minecart, fuel in the bottom chest minecart and flick the lever.  I've put 8 stacks of dried kelp in it for fuel so 32 per furnace currently so that's good for quite a lot of items already!  Currently it is only 16 furnaces as I don't have the resources for more but I'll expand it to 32, then 48 and finally 64 furnances as I get enough resources.

Obviously if you have only a stack or even a few stacks of items to smelt you're probably best sticking to manual smelting (or a small furnace array or 2 or 4) but if for some reason you need a chest full of glass or smooth stone this is the smelter for you.  For a comparison, a single furnace would smelt a double chests worth in around 9.5 hours.  Even with only 16 furnaces that is down to around 40 minutes but with the full 64 furnaces you can smelt a whole double chest in 9 minutes :D