My Cross Stitching Hobby

Spacedeck

So, it's something I used to do as a child with my mum, never anything big.  Only ever them small square kits for kids.  Since I got older, I stopped doing these and haven't picked up a needle in many years.

So I now have picked this back up and currently loving every moment.  Not much to currently display but I'll show what I have.

ncpSrUj.jpg

Now this was actually the first one I did since coming back, I sort of liked the look of the design but it was also my Grandma's favourite animal (she liked white ones).  So after she passed last year, I sort of did this in memory of her.

Now this next one I have literally just finished yesterday (10th).  My favourite childhood film ever, daughter growing up to love the films also.

InUsnrc.jpg

This probably took me around 3 months to complete.

Next up will be an Alliance / Horde banner from World of Warcraft, need to order my supplies soon.

Oh hai fellow stitcher! Look at that. WoW healers and stitchers! I love your Lion King stitch. I have no idea if pattern didn't have it or whatnot, but I love it without back stitching. It looks so much softer and more gentle. 

Also, because of your adorable Squirtle needleminder may show you the Sprite Stitch forums as well as Lord Libian's Epic Pokemon cross stitches (though I have no doubt you have seen them elsewhere on the internets)

@Rumelylady you stitch too? 😀 what do you stitch, anything you care to display?  The pattern doesn't contain back-stitching, only a little back-stitching for young Simba's whiskers 

I'll check that website out and sign up, also I've seen other people doing the Pokemon pattern but I didn't know where it was from, thanks, I'd love to tackle that!  I usually visit the cross-stitching subreddit and also part of a Discord called Fish's Stitches.

Started this beast in 2010, but haven't worked on it in three years. Our house now doesn't really have a great spot that's both comfortable and has the right lighting, so knitting and now spinning has taken over. Though I have been thinking about it more and more in recent weeks.

No automatic alt text available.

I'm a bit further along than the above picture, but it gives a better idea of the size of it. This is where I've actually left off. I think it's a little over half way done. 

Actual image:

If I recall correctly it's 26 count. I've worked with 28 before on mini things just to break up the monotony of the Oz one. They're both crazy tiny. I hadn't heard of the thread parking thing before Reddit. I can see it definitely getting super confusing, which is why I believe I had a couple rules for myself in doing it. I started because the back is an insane mess, especially the top section. Like, people that post the back of their projects that look almost as pretty as the front. Mine is more like a craft store vomited threads everywhere. It's bad. lol

I'm looking forward to updates on your (dirty) Alliance and (awesome) Horde banner. 

@Rumelylady have you made anymore progress? 

I don't have anything to show just yet as I want to finish one side first.  I'm some way over half way through the first half of the banner.  Could be ready to show in a week or so, depending on how much time I dedicate.

Just before Christmas, I made it half way with my Cross Stitch.  I just need to do the Horde side, which I'll start in the new year.

rKojZPk.jpg
Looks epic so far Space! Looking forward to seeing the final view.

How long did it take you to get half way?

13 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Looks epic so far Space! Looking forward to seeing the final view.

How long did it take you to get half way?

Around 3 months.  I did have a period where I hadn't touched it for a while, and I suspect the other half of this will also take me around 2-3 months.  I'm going to try and crack on with the next half tomorrow and hopefully not have a break this time.  I plan on doing many more smaller cross stitches as presents next Christmas, so I need all the time I can get 😂.

So I had this World of Warcraft project just sitting idle for many many months, with a section requiring restitching. It was a daunting task to undo so many stitches, which took some days. I recently bought a hands free stand which made things much easier, so I had a final push to finish this, before I venture on to other ideas.

The Horde side was a bit hard to work with due to the amount colours needing to be stitched in a more random order. So here is the final peice. 

kbazWO8.jpg

Now all I need to do is get it washed and framed. 

On 12/9/2020 at 10:57 PM, Spacedeck said:

So I had this World of Warcraft project just sitting idle for many many months, with a section requiring restitching. It was a daunting task to undo so many stitches, which took some days. I recently bought a hands free stand which made things much easier, so I had a final push to finish this, before I venture on to other ideas.

The Horde side was a bit hard to work with due to the amount colours needing to be stitched in a more random order. So here is the final peice. 

kbazWO8.jpg

Now all I need to do is get it washed and framed. 

Now that is super impressive Harold @Spacedeck , like super impressive. The different shades of red on the Horde side is amazing and it must have been so hard to work out how to make that side of the flag torn at certain places. Awesome work mate.

Looking forward to your next idea now! 

@Diddums @Middle Class Caveman  @Bluebear  and @Rumelylady  - though you would appreciate the WoW reference and skills Harold's used here.

56 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

The different shades of red on the Horde side is amazing and it must have been so hard to work out how to make that side of the flag torn at certain places. Awesome work mate.

Looking forward to your next idea now!

You give me too much credit 😹.  The design for all of the above that I've posted have come from buying the patterns online.  The only part I did was buy the materials required, the stitching and the time it takes to complete.

I would like to eventually make my own patterns and when I can buy a copy of PCStitch I'll look at doing so.

PvpT8i7.jpg

Some imperfections but overall happy with how it turned out.  There should have been another cloud above the tree but didn't feel like I needed to add it, then the "Ha" was started a little too far left, so I ended p with a slight gap in the word.

For comparisons, this is how the kit looked

Vjdyg9M.png