Handmaids Tale

phil bottle

Heard it was decent but I put off watching it until recently. Finished the first season this week.

Best series I have seen for a good while. Great acting, script and subject matter IMO. Going to find the book to read now.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

15 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Heard it was decent but I put off watching it until recently. Finished the first season this week.

Best series I have seen for a good while. Great acting, script and subject matter IMO. Going to find the book to read now.

What's it about Phil?

Don't want to give too much away but essentially:

The near future
Human birth rate has dropped catastrophically low, hardly any children are born any more.
Religious fundamentalist stage a coup in the US.
Go back to Puritan type ways.
All fertile women are enslaved and raped once a month in order to provide children.

Cheery stuff but very well made...

2nd series is on Channel 4 now, so should be on All4.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Is anyone caught up with this?

I read the book long before it was a TV show. I watched up to part of season 3, then I had to stop. I couldn't both be depressed about the world and be depressed while watching TV lol. I might pick it up again.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, phil bottle said:

First season was excellent and not sure more was needed.

But very very well made I thought. And a topic as relevant as ever.

I think only 1 or 2 additional seasons to wrap up the storyline would have been perfect. The book ends exactly where season 1 ends. Then it jumps into the future where the time of Gilead is a history lesson on the horrors of what passed.

I don't think it dragging out for this long is necessary. Granted, the topics in it are very relevant, to the point that I have gotten into one too many arguments with someone about how, yes, absol-fucking-lutely it is very possible for it to happen. For women to be stripped of any and all rights and just be used as labor and incubators. It is absolutely very plausible and possible.

Margaret Atwood didn't randomly come up with the scenario. She took what was going on in the world during her time and just expanded on it. The fact that we, as humanity, didn't even learn from any of it back in 1980's, just shows how slow progress takes and how easily we can slip back into even worse times.

Sci-Fi and dystopian novels have always been a way for us to really talk about our thoughts and fears as to what's going on in the world. It's why the genre is what it is. It's why dystopian novels became so popular for a bit. It's why "end of the world" sci-fi movies were a thing for a minute. It's not because it's not plausible. It's terrifyingly plausible.

Back to the show, Season 2 really steals from the headlines for some of its episodes. I think I angrily teared up in a some of them because it was all so fresh and raw and already on TV for interpretation. Season 2 gets really really dark and poignant. I recommend at least getting through Season 2.

Season 3 seems to be when it starts to drag on for me with more and more gratuitous pain. But, I wanted to see Bradley Whitford's character role in the show, so I kept on... until I couldn't. It was just too... yeah.

I've been told to stick with it and catch up. Maybe I will when I'm mentally ready lol. But, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, probably not.