Star Citizen 3.1 - first quartely patch

phil bottle

Star Citizen Patch 3.1.0

We are excited to announce the release of Alpha Patch 3.1.0 to all Star Citizen backers. This update marks the first of four quarterly patches planned to be released this year, and the inaugural success of the new delivery schedule. At the start of the year, our internal teams underwent a restructuring to allow for easier coordination and focus on a particular aspect or feature. Thanks to this new approach, the development team was able to more efficiently tackle the goals outlined for 3.1 on our Production Roadmap and introduce several new gameplay features and optimizations to Star Citizen.

Starting with Alpha 3.1, players will find new ways to interact with each other. The Character Customizer is now accessible from the main menu and allows players to distinguish their avatars with various combinations of hair style, skin tone, and more. This is just our first iteration of the system and we have a lot more planned for future releases, but even at this early stage it is exciting to see all the new and varied faces exploring the halls of Port Olisar and Grim HEX. Starting with this patch, players will also be able create Service Beacons from the Contract Manager in their mobiGlas and hire other players to provide Combat Assistance or Personal Transport. This new system will be a huge boon to players who may need a ride back to a station from the wilds of Crusader’s three explorable moons, and represents a whole new revenue stream for players willing to lend their combat skills to aid others. This feature is also an initial iteration that will be improved and expanded in future releases, but it’s an important step in further developing the kind of emergent gameplay that is intended for the Persistent Universe.

Not only that, the bevy of new flyable ships and open-canopy vehicles introduced in this patch will provide players exciting options for crewing up and exploring the Stanton system together. Measuring over 150 meters, the Reclaimer is the largest ship currently in-game. This heavy industrial salvage ship from Aegis Dynamics is so massive that the environment art team has expanded Port Olisar’s landing pads to accommodate it. Explorers will want to get behind the sticks of the Anvil Terrapin. The ship’s robust shield system and distinct layered armor make it ideal for exploring untamed space. Racers looking to experience breakneck speed can climb into the MISC Razor. The ship will be a perennial Murray Cup contender thanks to advanced Xi’an thruster technology and a streamlined design.

Plus, exploring Crusader’s moons just got more exciting with the addition of the Aopoa Nox Kue and Tumbril Cyclone. The Nox Kue is a special variant of the renowned Xi’an open-canopy racer that Aopoa redesigned specifically for Humans. The Tumbril Cyclone is a rugged off-road ground vehicle ready to tackle any terrain. Both vehicles are perfect for traversing Cellin, Daymar, and Yela, which also received upgrades in Alpha 3.1, thanks to planetary technology improvements that updated surface textures and topography for more visually dynamic and detailed landscapes.

Additionally, the development team polished many of the exciting features that launched with the 3.0 patch in December. Updates to the IFCS (flight control), AI, the Personal Manager tool on each player’s mobiGlas, ship weapons, ship damage physics and overall performance optimization, all are working in concert to improve the overall Star Citizen gameplay experience.

NEW FEATURES

Character Customizer 

• With this feature, players can adjust aspects of their character’s physical appearance, such as face shape, eye color, hair style, and skin tone.

Logout Improvements

• Players can now safely logout from major stations like Levski, Grim HEX, and Port Olisar. This will persist between sessions for when players log back into the game.

Pirate Hunter

• Player will now earn virtue reputation for killing NPC pirates.

Interdiction and Quantum Jamming

• AI pilots can now carry Quantum Jammers aboard their ships. These devices produce a field which stop Quantum Drives from being able to function. Players who are interdicted will now first have to destroy ships carrying Jammers before they can Quantum Travel away to safety.

Service Beacons

• Service Beacons have been introduced to the PU economy. Using the mobiGlas, players can create and customize “Personal Transport” or “Combat Assistance” contracts that will be made available to other players to complete for the agreed upon payment. After the contract ends, players will be able to review each others performance with a positive or negative rating.

Combat Markers

• The old Combat Markers were replaced with new 3D versions that include target brackets, hit indication, and missile locks.

Visor Screen

• The visor screen has had additional hit effects for shields and hull areas added to the displays for your ship and targeted ships.
  • A new MFD screen has been added allowing players to customize the view angles of the target/self visor screens.

New Ships and Vehicles

• Tumbril Cyclone
  • Aegis Reclaimer
  • Anvil Terrapin
  • MISC Razor
  • Nox Kue

New Ship Weapons

• PRAR Distortion Scatterguns
    • Salvation (size 4)
    • Absolution (size 5)
    • Condemnation (size 6)
  • APAR Ballistic Scattergun
    • Havoc (size 1)
    • Hellion (size 2)
    • Predator (size 3)
  • KBAR 10-Series Greatsword Ballistic Cannon (size 2)
  • AMRS Omnisky IX Laser Cannon
  • GATS Yellowjacket Ballistic Gatling (size 1)
  • CF-557 Galdereen Repeater (size 5)

Star Marine

• KSAR Custodian Energy SMG
  • GMNI R97 Ballistic Shotgun

You can find the full patch notes for Alpha 3.1.0 here.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Played a couple of hours tonight. It's a bit laggy in ports but once in space I've not noticed anything significant. I hear though there's an issue with ship insurance.

Check the vid below from 4.28 onwards for more info on an incoming hotfix, due at the end of the week, looking at stability issues etc

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

8 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Played a couple of hours tonight. It's a bit laggy in ports but once in space I've not noticed anything significant. I hear though there's an issue with ship insurance.

Check the vid below from 4.28 onwards for more info on an incoming hotfix, due at the end of the week, looking at stability issues etc

Mate, tried for a good hour to get on but it took ages to load, crashed once and then when I get on it was ridiculously laggy. Maybe its the RAM, I dunno.

Mate, tried for a good hour to get on but it took ages to load, crashed once and then when I get on it was ridiculously laggy. Maybe its the RAM, I dunno.
You shouldn't be having those issues, your PC is superior to mine, and no its not a lack of RAM causing it. Let me know next time...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

28 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

You shouldn't be having those issues, your PC is superior to mine, and no its not a lack of RAM causing it. Let me know next time...

Will do. Didn't reach out to you because I wanted to just make sure it all loaded and have a quick walk round. I was in Discord chat room but next time I'll send a message.

Will do. Didn't reach out to you because I wanted to just make sure it all loaded and have a quick walk round. I was in Discord chat room but next time I'll send a message.
I saw you there when i was finished but you were on LoL and didn't want to disturb you. What are you thoughts on LoL by the way?
But yeah just let me know when you're trying out Star Citizen, I can help, you flippin twat.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

16 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Sorry man (and @Diddums), I've done some looking into it. Other than SSD install being essential, anything under 16GB RAM and you'll have issues from what I can see:(

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Goddammit Phil, I've been looking for an excuse to build another monster PC [emoji20]
You will need both a better CPU and GPU to run this game on release[emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

My CPU is fine but I'm going to upgrade the graphics card asap

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

20 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Sorry man (and @Diddums), I've done some looking into it. Other than SSD install being essential, anything under 16GB RAM and you'll have issues from what I can see:(

Bugger. No worries man, gives me a reason too!

27 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

You will need both a better CPU and GPU to run this game on releaseemoji8.pngemoji8.pngemoji8.png

My CPU is fine but I'm going to upgrade the graphics card asap

Do i just need RAM or was this to the both of us?

2 hours ago, Diddums said:

Goddammit Phil, I've been looking for an excuse to build another monster PC :(

I like this ;)

The patch has been patched :)

Plays a lot better for me. I've noticed if I get lag now, it's probably the server, logging out and into another server has worked on these occasions.

Having said that,  I still find lag spikes in Port Olisar.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Nice to see that they are continuing to patch and update this.  It is one reason I'm eager to get my new pc built is to try this out.
Now that it's in Alpha they have committed to big quarterly updates and plan to hit Beta by the end of the year.

They hit the first quarter milestone, as promised, so I'm a happy bunny.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 17/04/2018 at 12:58 PM, phil bottle said:

Now that it's in Alpha they have committed to big quarterly updates and plan to hit Beta by the end of the year.

They hit the first quarter milestone, as promised, so I'm a happy bunny.

That's awesome to hear. I'll try this again this week with you Phil after a very kind donation of a 8gb RAM turned up. :D Really hope it holds up.

That's awesome to hear. I'll try this again this week with you Phil after a very kind donation of a 8gb RAM turned up. [emoji3] Really hope it holds up.
There's an update waiting for you. Much better performance now. I also found out that it's best to relog if you it laggy, it may just be the server in need of a restart. Logging into a fresh server helps but there are lag spikes in certain areas still I find. But I'm getting 40 frames plus on average now.
Any time Lee xx

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

That's awesome to hear. I'll try this again this week with you Phil after a very kind donation of a 8gb RAM turned up. :D Really hope it holds up.

Between the extra RAM and patcg hopefully it runs smooth for you now.

I wish people would hurry up with Ryzen 2 reviews as it is getting hard to ignore my upgrade itch.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

23 hours ago, Greboth said:

Between the extra RAM and patcg hopefully it runs smooth for you now.

I wish people would hurry up with Ryzen 2 reviews as it is getting hard to ignore my upgrade itch.

Love ya dude. Full Homo :wub:

@phil bottle, tried it tonight and it held up better than previously, lagged a little but as I left it on it got more stable. Will try it out another night again this week buddy. 

[mention=141]phil bottle[/mention], tried it tonight and it held up better than previously, lagged a little but as I left it on it got more stable. Will try it out another night again this week buddy. 
Awesome, nice one man :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

16 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

@phil bottle, tried it tonight and it held up better than previously, lagged a little but as I left it on it got more stable. Will try it out another night again this week buddy. 

Also, quick question: have you been using Geforce Experience yet?

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

42 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Also, quick question: have you been using Geforce Experience yet?

Yep. Just downloaded and started a new thread for basic info.

Just to say, how you call the ship and you have to go to the relevant bay is pretty awesome.

22 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'll never turn down Full Homo love.....wait that sounds wrong :lol:   I'm glad it worked better than previously though :) 

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png