Ender Dragon

GazzaGarratt

As Dax is asking me a lot about this dragon I thought it would be handy to have a thread on it.

First question though. On creative, once you have killed it, how do you get it to respawn again? I can't see an Ender Dragon egg anywhere. This is on Playstation version so it's Vanilla.

Also, does this exist in our online server?

Once you kill the dragon a dragon egg should appear, from memory it appear on top of the pillar in the middle of the portal.  If the console version is anything like the PC though you can't pick it up as it will teleport if you try to break it.  If you have some blocks, piston and redstone block on you can block up the portal and use the piston to push the egg off the pillar and then you can pick it up like normal.

To respawn the dragon you need to place 4 ender crystals, one on each of the flat sides of the portal, which will re-create all the pillars etc. and respawn the dragon.  In creative you can just pick up an ender crystal though in survival you would need to craft them - each on takes 7 glass blocks, 1 ghast tear and 1 Eye of Ender (the eye of ender can be made from an ender pearl and blaze powder).  On the server, I set a warp point at the stronghold portal with a chest full of ender crystals in case anyone else wants to respawn and kill the dragon.

The shulker boxes that Plumber mentioned - you get them from killing shulkers in end cities.  When you kill the dragon somewhere near the island a floating portal should appear.  The portal isn't big enough to walk through though so you have to enderpearl through it.  This will randomly take you to an island on the edge of the end (you will need to remember where for later).  You can walk around and there will be lots of islands around and after some searching you should find end cities - basically giant pink buildings.  They are full of shukers which you need to kill and drop shulker shells.  With 2 shulker shells and a chest you can make a shulker box to store your items on the move (a shulker box takes up one space in your inventory but holds a single chests worth of stuff).  If you find an end city with a floating boat you can also pick up a dragon head off of it (though be careful it doesn't drop in to the void).  You can also pick up an elytra which replaces your chest armour and will allow you glide when you fall from a high place - on pc you activate it by pressing jump while falling and I assume it is the same on console.  The reason I said remember where the portal is as, as far as I know, it is the only way back to the island you killed the dragon on and the only way to get back to the overworld (by walking in to the portal) unless you want to bridge thousands and thousands of blocks back to the middle.

The server is on an earlier version so we have elytra which allow us to glide and that is it.  As the console version is the (presumably) the latest version you can make rockets (gun powder and paper (paper is made from sugar cane)) and use them to boost your flight.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Rockets should work with Elytra on our server. 

Also, on PC the Ender Dragon fight is a huge PITA. Take a group, unless your goal is to spend 30 minutes shooting arrows and breaking pillars. Honestly, IMO its not worth the headache at all, just go hunt for End Cities instead

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

6 minutes ago, Greboth said:

Nope, I can't get them to work and reading about elytra on the wiki says rocket propulsion was added in 1.11.

Well shit, Sorry my dude.

Something to keep in mind for Plumber's reset/ rebuild then

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Thanks @Greboth for that explanation. @Sennex, he wanted to just respawn it in Creative as he killed it once and didn't know how to respawn to kill it again.

I'll need to look into these End Cities though, they sound like real fun. Difficulty is my son started on survival, enjoyed it, but as soon as he seen youtube videos to play creative he just wanted to do that and not wait for things. Shame really, takes the fun away from earning stuff like how Greboth explained it.

17 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Thanks @Greboth for that explanation. @Sennex, he wanted to just respawn it in Creative as he killed it once and didn't know how to respawn to kill it again.

I'll need to look into these End Cities though, they sound like real fun. Difficulty is my son started on survival, enjoyed it, but as soon as he seen youtube videos to play creative he just wanted to do that and not wait for things. Shame really, takes the fun away from earning stuff like how Greboth explained it.

End cities are fun for Shulker boxes, and Purpur trees

Shulker boxes (made with 2 shulker shells and a single chest) when placed on the floor you can store items in it like a single chest.  However unlike a single chest, you can break a shulker box and carry it in your inventory with all the items inside of it.  Then when you place it down you can access your items like normal, pick it up and walk off again.  It isn't so useful for creative but survival it means you can carry soooooo so soooo much more stuff.

I don't know what Bart means with the purpur trees though unless he is talking about the Chorus tree/plant but never heard is called a purpur tree.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I got the name of the blocks and the trees confused, sorry.

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Purpur_Block

Those are the blocks

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Chorus_Plant

that is the tree.

Sorry about that

2 hours ago, Greboth said:

Shulker boxes (made with 2 shulker shells and a single chest) when placed on the floor you can store items in it like a single chest.  However unlike a single chest, you can break a shulker box and carry it in your inventory with all the items inside of it.  Then when you place it down you can access your items like normal, pick it up and walk off again.  It isn't so useful for creative but survival it means you can carry soooooo so soooo much more stuff.

I use alchemical bags...same capacity as alchemical chests, relatively easy to make and you can carry more than one at a time

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

41 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I use alchemical bags...same capacity as alchemical chests, relatively easy to make and you can carry more than one at a time

yes, but that isn't the case in Vanilla MC, you have to use Shulker boxes then.