6ft aquarium build

Drifter

tank_zpswhwkctu9.jpg
About a month ago I bought this 130g 6ft aquarium with plans to move my group of Frontosa into it and built it into a back wall of my office with another 75g tank built into the modified stand below it.
Here's what the wall started as..

wall_zpswbgzuphs.jpg

The wall itself was a fake wall that hide storage behind it so after tearing the wall down I had lots of stored items and shelves to deal with..

wall2_zpsucal0uqo.jpg

Tank and stand moved in after modifying the wall for it too fit. Next was to modify the stand to hold a 75g under it which required raising the stand 4" and building a platform to hold the 4ft 75g tank.

tank6_zpsg0nor42a.jpg

Little paint and door making...

tank_zpsm5yfm7gi.jpg

Then this is where it currently stands. Still have to build a 6ft long 3D background for inside the tank and then move the group of fish over to it. probably have time in the next couple weeks to start the 3d background for it.

tank1_zpsyw4l3byy.jpg

tank2_zps8om4oeu9.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6ftbg1_zpsvrehirnv.jpg

Finally got caught up enough with customer work that I have time this week to get back on my own tank. Was able to get the background laid out and roughed in today. Now onto the carving stage next. Hopefully will have this tank up and running with in the next two weeks is the plan.

bg1_zpsywec2t3q.jpg

bg2_zpsqshgwdan.jpg

bg3_zpsppbk7xfq.jpg

Sleep is overrated ;) burned the midnight oil and spent the past 7 hrs carving away on this. Actually got all the carving done now tonight. Will be dryloking and painting in the morning so way ahead of schedule now. I really wanted this background to have some impact so I did some pretty massive rocks in some area that are as much as 5" thick so it is really going to have a lot of depth/3D look to it. I'm very pleased with how this one is looking.

front1_zpsomogtos3.jpg

front2_zpslejuv4mf.jpg

front3_zpssqwccl8x.jpg

front4_zpsdas1fsl9.jpg

front5_zpsit3cbtbe.jpg

front6_zpsaf7ubs8m.jpg

front7_zpsxvaqgnqj.jpg

front8_zpsgacoxvbm.jpg

More work done today. It is pretty much for the most part done new. All that's left is to do a few details things and route the cords better, then fill with water and move the group of frontosa and FX5 over and it'll be done. Really excited to get the fronts moved into it soon. This one has become probably my favorite tank I have owned to date.

fronts2_zpsuaiquo88.jpg

fronts3_zpsdllrrj5l.jpg

fronts4_zps44x09lae.jpg

fronts1_zpsrn84m2aw.jpg

3 months of work building the 6ft tank for the Frontosa finally comes to a rewarding end tonight, now I can enjoy it. Just finished filling with water, moving the FX5 over, bringing up to temp and moving my fronts over into it. I'm happy with how this tank build turned out, and think my fronts seem pretty happy now as well!

You actually hit the nail right on the head without even knowing it Jay lol. I have been thinking hard lately about upgrading my Koi pond in the backyard. Last year I put in a little 3x4ft koi pond, but I am thinking about turning it into about a 6x8ft one this spring maybe.

jag1_zps3pryelo4.jpg

jag2_zpsbhugriaz.jpg

jag3_zpsxct4ibaw.jpg

Now that the frontosa are moved into the 6ft tank I redid their old 75g tank as a new home for my Jaguar so he can grow up happy and large all by himself. Added a bit of wood, used tan play sand with some pea gravel mixed into it. I had planned on doing a 3d background for this tank but decided to go with a flat black painted one instead. Figured with the colors of the Jag and him being the only fish in the tank I didn't want hm to blend into the background so once he grows some and lightens in color a bit  think he's look good in this set up now.