Last movie you watched

Drifter

2 hours ago, RenFengge said:

Is it better than the first one? I couldn't really bring myself to watch the first one. I'm also a bit salty on the lack of effort in actually working with the Arrowverse for it.

The one you just watched looked really good and funny. James Gunn said he was allowed to anything and there were no rules.

It is in a totally different league to the first one!! The tone is much better, its not trying to be dark and gritty and fit in with the other dc films.

I am surprised that they haven't combined somehow with the Arrowverse, but that might come with the flashpoint film i guess

5 hours ago, RenFengge said:

Yeah? It's one of those movies that I'm curious enough to watch. But I really have to be in the mood for them even though I tend to thoroughly enjoy these types of movies.

Definitely worth a watch. Gyllenhall isn't the mot diverse actor but he seemed to find his groove perfectly in this film. Pretty good film tbh, but then I want in expecting a dumpster fire so my expectations were low.

banlol.png

3 hours ago, Antpool84 said:

It is in a totally different league to the first one!! The tone is much better, its not trying to be dark and gritty and fit in with the other dc films.

I am surprised that they haven't combined somehow with the Arrowverse, but that might come with the flashpoint film i guess

Reading a lot of positive things about this film. The first was a masterclass in how to take two actors with some industry-defining chemistry and totally fuck it up. Anyone who's seen Focus will know what I'm talking about. The highlight of the first one for me was actually Clara, although I'm pretty sure that her bad ass outfit played a large part in that. The soldier dude could've been replaced with one of those plastic toy soldiers and nobody would've noticed.

Leto as the Joker was decent, but still not a patch on Heath Ledger.

Anyway, I'll see the new one and see how it is. 

banlol.png

Watched A Quiet Place 2 last week. Was a good addition to the first one. I think what I liked most about it is they did not fall into the trap almost every sequel seems to fall into where they overdo things to try to outdo the original film. Rather than that, they just basically continued out with things the way the first film did which made for a good watch. I'm thinking the way it ended might be a lead in to a 3rd film perhaps.

Wrath of man is on-demand for $5.99 now so plan to rent that this afternoon.

So I like to watch movies while I spend my time cross stitching and lately I've watched a few I'd never seen before.

Loved this film, some scenes seemed a little dramatised but overall it was an excellent movie to watch.

Hacksaw Ridge

A different war and another good film, this guy made some heroic efforts during his time in the war and it really is captured in this movie.

Godzilla vs Kong

Enoyed this one too, I already knew what was to be expected (what always happens when you have a vs. movie).  The CGI was very well done and as a Godzilla fan I think they did pretty well.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Katie McGrath. Okay so being a fan of the TV series Merlin, this movie had always sounded interesting but I must say while it was a decent movie, I wasn't that big on the way it was presented. If it hadn't been for Katie McGrath, I'd probably have skipped this movie entirely 😅.

The Unholy

A scary ass bitch with some jump scares. Probably wouldn't watch on my own in the dark though, I don't do well with jump scares but I love the genre.

TV Series

Dark Angel - used to love the game on PS2 as a kid but never actually watched the series, so why not start now?

Secret Bridesmaids Business - this was only on my radar due to Katie McGrath and it's only 6 episodes.  I was pleasantly surprised by this though and really got in to to, although bit of a disappointing ending.

If your interested in a movie based loosely around video games may I draw your attention to boss level on Amazon, basically a grown up action version of groundhog Day. Has some nice tongue in cheek moments and is a nice change from the run of the mill reboots and dull franchise stuff.

3 hours ago, techno said:

If your interested in a movie based loosely around video games may I draw your attention to boss level on Amazon, basically a grown up action version of groundhog Day. Has some nice tongue in cheek moments and is a nice change from the run of the mill reboots and dull franchise stuff.

I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

fart.gif

On 8/16/2021 at 1:46 PM, techno said:

I need to watch this! I remember watching the trailer a while back and it caught my attention then. 

Watched a number of movies in the past week or so now.

Wrath of Man- Really liked this one. The first 45 minutes are a bit confusing (I was pretty lost lol) but then they do a good job of tying it all together in the 2nd half of the movie. IMO it was probably one of Jason Statham's best films.

Tomorrow World- Fun movie. I really like Chris Pratt so it's hard to not enjoy one of his films, but this one is just a neat non-thinking fun movie to watch.

Val - Val Kilmer's one he made about his life. This is hard to say if I liked it or not. On one hand I liked it because I always liked Val as an actor. Yet on the other hand it was probably one of the more depressing films I have seen in awhile. And then it has the bit of pompousness overtone to it which Val has always been known for lol. So It's hard to say it was good/bad. If you're a Val Kilmer fan then it's okay, but I wouldn't watch it again that's for sure.

Just finished watching Honest Thief. The last two Liam Neeson movies I watched sucked hard (Cold pursuit & Ice Road) so it was refreshing to finally see him in a good movie again. Really enjoyed it. Nice to see Kate Walsh again as well. I always found her to be a really attractive woman and a good actress.

On 8/16/2021 at 1:46 PM, techno said:

I watched it late last night and thoroughly enjoyed Boss Level. Wanted it to go on for longer but I suppose that's a sign of a good movie if you don't want it to end! Thanks for the opinion, Gary 👍

@TurboR56Mini  is away for the weekend and has the car. So, I'm homebound and stuck downstairs away from my computer and PlayStation. Usually this means I bake and cook a bunch of delicious stuff, but I spent all Thursday and Friday baking things for his trip. Movie marathon weekend it is! I'd go out with friends, but that involves effort.

This weekend will be dedicated to watching the live-action Rurouni Kenshin movies series. I read the manga and watched most of the anime when it was originally out. Since my mind is trash, I barely remember much except how much I enjoyed the series and the emotional depth it had.

First up (and literally just finished about 10 minutes ago), starting with Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning. Yes, I am thoroughly aware this is the final movie in the series, but it's also the first one in the timeline. But, when you read or watch the manga/anime, you do wonder why and how the protagonist refuses to kill and fights with the blunt edge. I loved being able to start right from the beginning (well, almost. It doesn't get into how he became such a great swordsman).

Can I just say that I'm in complete awe of the actors? The speed of the fight scenes is incredible. And, no stunt doubles as the director wanted authenticity. I was curious to see if the actors were actually moving that fast, and yup, they were. The behind the scenes practice sessions are just as crazy fast. Takeru Satoh, the actor who plays the lead character of Kenshin, even stated that if he was ever not able to do any of the moves or stunts then he wouldn't take the role.

Manga, like comic books, tend to not be realistic. So translating it to the screen is always tricky. I mean, I love Attack on Titan, but its live action looks terrible. Rurouni Kenshin succeeds where others have failed. And, I think some of it has to do with the overall realism of the story. It touches on the politics/revolution of the time and the weight of war. It doesn't sugar-coat much of anything. The movie itself is well-done. If you're okay with subtitles, I would suggest watching it with subtitles even though it is offered with English dub.

I'm not going to give away much of anything about the plot or background. You can look it up. But, if you loved the Ghost of Tsushima game, any anime, or anything about Japanese history, the movie is good to watch if you have time. I have always considered Japanese storytelling to be decades ahead of where American Hollywood is/was. The fact that this story is almost 30 years old is a testament to Japanese arts.

Free Guy.

This film is a love letter to gamers. It's the first gaming related film which has punted Ready: Player One off its perch. It's hands down one of the best films I've seen in ages, the way they pulled off some of the most difficult challenges in this kind of setting was unparalleled. If you're a gamer and know all the references, it's even better. It has fucktonnes of little cameos which take it to a higher level too, as well as portraying the bad guy extremely well, whilst also covering some other hot topics in the gaming world. I'd go watch it again tomorrow. Go see it, trust me. It's worth every penny. 

banlol.png

1 hour ago, Diddums said:

Free Guy.

This film is a love letter to gamers. It's the first gaming related film which has punted Ready: Player One off its perch. It's hands down one of the best films I've seen in ages, the way they pulled off some of the most difficult challenges in this kind of setting was unparalleled. If you're a gamer and know all the references, it's even better. It has fucktonnes of little cameos which take it to a higher level too, as well as portraying the bad guy extremely well, whilst also covering some other hot topics in the gaming world. I'd go watch it again tomorrow. Go see it, trust me. It's worth every penny. 

Ooohh... I want to see this movie. It looks funny... and I'm hoping most people here know what "Free Guy" stands for lol.

As for pushing Ready Player One off its perch, I don't think that was too difficult, eh? Perhaps, I just wanted more from it. I wanted to see more of the gritty part of the book about people getting killed and the torture when Watts gets captured. Loved all the references though.

Once Free Guy is available for streaming, totally going to watch it!

4 hours ago, RenFengge said:

@TurboR56Mini  is away for the weekend and has the car. So, I'm homebound and stuck downstairs away from my computer and PlayStation. Usually this means I bake and cook a bunch of delicious stuff, but I spent all Thursday and Friday baking things for his trip. Movie marathon weekend it is! I'd go out with friends, but that involves effort.

This weekend will be dedicated to watching the live-action Rurouni Kenshin movies series. I read the manga and watched most of the anime when it was originally out. Since my mind is trash, I barely remember much except how much I enjoyed the series and the emotional depth it had.

First up (and literally just finished about 10 minutes ago), starting with Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning. Yes, I am thoroughly aware this is the final movie in the series, but it's also the first one in the timeline. But, when you read or watch the manga/anime, you do wonder why and how the protagonist refuses to kill and fights with the blunt edge. I loved being able to start right from the beginning (well, almost. It doesn't get into how he became such a great swordsman).

Can I just say that I'm in complete awe of the actors? The speed of the fight scenes is incredible. And, no stunt doubles as the director wanted authenticity. I was curious to see if the actors were actually moving that fast, and yup, they were. The behind the scenes practice sessions are just as crazy fast. Takeru Satoh, the actor who plays the lead character of Kenshin, even stated that if he was ever not able to do any of the moves or stunts then he wouldn't take the role.

Manga, like comic books, tend to not be realistic. So translating it to the screen is always tricky. I mean, I love Attack on Titan, but its live action looks terrible. Rurouni Kenshin succeeds where others have failed. And, I think some of it has to do with the overall realism of the story. It touches on the politics/revolution of the time and the weight of war. It doesn't sugar-coat much of anything. The movie itself is well-done. If you're okay with subtitles, I would suggest watching it with subtitles even though it is offered with English dub.

I'm not going to give away much of anything about the plot or background. You can look it up. But, if you loved the Ghost of Tsushima game, any anime, or anything about Japanese history, the movie is good to watch if you have time. I have always considered Japanese storytelling to be decades ahead of where American Hollywood is/was. The fact that this story is almost 30 years old is a testament to Japanese arts.

i haven't seen the anime since there are a million anime i want to see and traditional shows too and time is finite but your description sold me to it, i have to see it since it seems they actually tried unlike other game/anime movies

6 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

Ooohh... I want to see this movie. It looks funny... and I'm hoping most people here know what "Free Guy" stands for lol.

As for pushing Ready Player One off its perch, I don't think that was too difficult, eh? Perhaps, I just wanted more from it. I wanted to see more of the gritty part of the book about people getting killed and the torture when Watts gets captured. Loved all the references though.

Once Free Guy is available for streaming, totally going to watch it!

I've not read the book so I can only go by the screen, and R:P1 was excellent with enough pop culture references in it to bridge many a generation. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for Free Guy, this is a cinema job. You want as much special effects and sound as you can get for this one, trust me. 

banlol.png

Just finished Rurouni Kenshin, second in the timeline/first in the series. I actually had to make an account with Vudu to watch even though everyone said that Netflix would have the whole collection. Oh well.

Benefit on watching The Beginning first, then this one second? It was really cool to see scenes from this movie in The Beginning. I love seeing long-term continuity. The movies are 9 years apart.

Pretty awesome how they managed to introduce the shenanigans of the villain in this without losing much of anything. In anime and manga, there's usually some sort of comedy to sugarcoat the terribleness of a character. They still had it, but it was done just enough that it was not cringeworthy at all.

Again, the whole time period of this is intriguing. It's stuff you sort of read in history books and learn in political science and whatnot. Sort of seeing how Japan came to terms with quick modernization and how it clashed against old traditions is fascinating to me. So many stories are about revolution and fighting back, but there's never stories about what happens after the victory. About how a civilization picks up the pieces and moves forward with the new ideals. In Rurouni Kenshin, you start to see it. They start telling you that it's not all rainbows and sunshine. A new era is great, but at the same time, it leads to a rise of new powers and new villains in the world. Those who feel wronged, those who feel abandoned, those who just want to take advantage. Progress is never without some pain, and I think that's what I found compelling about this story when I was reading it, and now watching it as a movie.

As you can see, I'm thoroughly enjoying my movie marathon.

3 minutes ago, Tar-Eruntalion said:

i haven't seen the anime since there are a million anime i want to see and traditional shows too and time is finite but your description sold me to it, i have to see it since it seems they actually tried unlike other game/anime movies

I have only so much time to watch and read stuff, so I tend to only end up watching things that are "the best of the best". Rurouni Kenshin ended up being one of them. It's also called Samurai X.

I think it's a really good period piece with some slight fantastical stuff in it.

7 minutes ago, Diddums said:

I've not read the book so I can only go by the screen, and R:P1 was excellent with enough pop culture references in it to bridge many a generation. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for Free Guy, this is a cinema job. You want as much special effects and sound as you can get for this one, trust me. 

We have a 75" TV in the living room (where @TurboR56Mini  plays as it is our main TV room). A nice surround sound system (Kef) that was gifted to us but is probably on its last legs (I think the system is 20+ years old now). Hoping to upgrade to a at least a 85" TV next year to make it even more of a movie theater in the house! 😄

I must be on a Liam Neeson kick lately because I just finished watching prob the 3rd Neeson flick I've watched in the past month. Watched The Marksman. I was thinking it was not gonna be all that great because it had a pretty low rating on RT"s as well as by most critics. But just as is true 9 times out of 10...if a movie is rated low thats usually a sing its actually pretty damn good, friggin critics suck.

I'm not gonna say it was his best film, but it was nearly 2hrs long and I honestly didn't feel like it was that long, so I must have enjoyed it. A pretty decent drama with just enough quick action mixed in to make it a movie that should appeal to most anyone. I liked it.

On 9/5/2021 at 11:18 PM, Drifter said:

I must be on a Liam Neeson kick lately because I just finished watching prob the 3rd Neeson flick I've watched in the past month. Watched The Marksman. I was thinking it was not gonna be all that great because it had a pretty low rating on RT"s as well as by most critics. But just as is true 9 times out of 10...if a movie is rated low thats usually a sing its actually pretty damn good, friggin critics suck.

I'm not gonna say it was his best film, but it was nearly 2hrs long and I honestly didn't feel like it was that long, so I must have enjoyed it. A pretty decent drama with just enough quick action mixed in to make it a movie that should appeal to most anyone. I liked it.

Critics are far too often the death of far too many good games, movies, and TV shows before those stories can even really be told.

I finished the Rurouni Kenshin series Sunday night. And, my goodness. Well done. You can tell that they vastly improved parts of their cinematics and writing between the first movie and the second movie (per release date). Movies 2 (Kyoto Inferno) and 3 (The Legend Ends) were released close to each other as it is one story. Same for movies 4 (The Final) and 5 (The Beginning) being released close to each other.

Leave it to Warner Bros to produce a series of movies with an overall story arc, I mean, they did do Harry Potter properly too.

Back to movies 2 and 3. Kyoto Inferno starts with a highly disturbing scene as you watch a whole squad of policemen get killed and taken.. with the taken ones eventually being dropped to their fiery deaths in a the antagonist's recreation of hell.

Aside from the first movie with a very clear villain, what was interesting about the rest was that I don't think you can truly pass clear judgment on the villains of the other movies. And, that's something that is part of Kenshin's burden. The villains produced are products of his past, for better or worse, in his own mostly indirect ways. Kenshin wasn't the one who initially "killed" and burned Shishio, but it was Kenshin starting to question his role as assassin that led his side to grooming a sociopath into an assassin. For movie 4 (The Final), Kenshin understands Enishi's anger and grief, and the guilt he has over Enishi's sister is something he has carried throughout his whole story. He wears it on his face. Literally. With the scars.

I am super happy I chose to watch the movies in chronological order instead of release order. I think ending on The Final as the last movie was a nice closure to Kenshin's pain, redemption, and story. However, if you wanted to watch it in release order, ending on The Beginning is also pretty good as it acts more of an encore to flesh out his past. Plus, it's really cool how they used all the previously shot scenes in the older movies to create The Beginning.

The continuity of these films are as beautiful as the martial arts in it. Not sure if I have seen any other film series done so well. Not even Marvel.

These types of movies and stories just make me crave more of these high-quality productions.