What are you listening to right now?

BO7H B4RRELS

14 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

Yeah definitely is funny, I wouldn't say I like all his stuff. His live performances the ones I've seen are as rough as a badgers arse. 

I personally think that is one of his best tunes and albums. 

What's your thoughts on Peter Tosh? Some of his solo stuff is awesome. 

The reggae cover of Johnny B Goode is out of this world. I hope you have heard it? 😀

As Peter Tosh said "do not criticise it" 😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

Me and the missus bought this after hearing it as background music in a restaurant on holiday in Wales...happy days 🙂

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Me and the missus bought this after hearing it as background music in a restaurant on holiday in Wales...happy days 🙂

That's great to hear Dave, love that! 

They have such an awesome chilled sound, from New Zealand I do believe. Been enjoying them for quite a few years 

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

18 minutes ago, IRaMPaGe said:

Sounds sweet man, definitely more Ska/reggae? It's a bit more lively than just reggae. And yes I can hear all those upstrokes on the rhythm of the guitar. 🙂

Yeah man, I like to switch between ska, 70s roots and dub and 90s UK roots and dub

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

53 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Yeah man, I like to switch between ska, 70s roots and dub and 90s UK roots and dub

Some of the sub genres I'm not 100% on the terms, but I can usually tell the age of something. 

There is also some UK Ska that's kinda punkish as well? Maybe like The Specials and Madness etc. It has the undertones of the roots, but a different flavour. That's the wonder of music there is so much to explore! 😎

I do like the roots sounding stuff and the dub styles. 

9 minutes ago, IRaMPaGe said:

Some of the sub genres I'm not 100% on the terms, but I can usually tell the age of something. 

There is also some UK Ska that's kinda punkish as well? Maybe like The Specials and Madness etc. It has the undertones of the roots, but a different flavour. That's the wonder of music there is so much to explore! 😎

I do like the roots sounding stuff and the dub styles. 

Yeah man, some ska punk is poorly done but this record is a classic

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

16 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Yeah man, some ska punk is poorly done but this record is a classic

I can imagine there is some real naff stuff out there, sometimes a terrible production can make things worse. 

Listened to a few tracks from that Culture Shock you posted, will need to listen to it all the way through. It sounds really good. Probably top tier of it's sub genre I'm thinking. Has a proper sound to it and you can hear the Ska and the punk in it. 

Always interesting to learn more as your knowledge is vast and educated on such matters. 😊

11 minutes ago, IRaMPaGe said:

@phil bottle This is good as well, sounds like "old dub" are most dubs primarily instrumentals?

Nice tune👊

Yeah, a dub version is pretty much a remix of a A side in the old days. Producers would normally drop elements of the song in an out of the mix. I'm a big fan, King Tubby was one of the original guys for that along with Lee Perry.

They also play around with frequencies.

Jah Shaka would often just make the bass vibrate your whole body (and he's a Spurs fan) at his dub nights.

A mate of mine from school runs a reggae label and reissues old 7 and 12 inch vinyl so I'm lucky I got to know this music.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

38 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Nice tune👊

Yeah, a dub version is pretty much a remix of a A side in the old days. Producers would normally drop elements of the song in an out of the mix. I'm a big fan, King Tubby was one of the original guys for that along with Lee Perry.

They also play around with frequencies.

Jah Shaka would often just make the bass vibrate your whole body (and he's a Spurs fan) at his dub nights.

A mate of mine from school runs a reggae label and reissues old 7 and 12 inch vinyl so I'm lucky I got to know this music.

Yeah that tune has fantastic horns and brass and the dub is real. 

Think King Tubby has a hand in that tune as it's from African Brothers meet King Tubby in dub. 

Lee Scratch is legendary as well, but your right him and King Tubby were the first 2 that I know of. Almost like the Godfathers of dub. 

It just hits a different way, I love it when the bass gets a bit wobbly as well. I also respect the fact that the dub pays homage to the original and doesn't destroy the roots. 

Dub nights sound superb, sadly nothing like that way up here in the Highlands of Scotland. 

A bit off topic, but Rusko the producer an early pioneer in dubstep is more modern and electronic in the 2000's. This tune here absolutely slaps. It's more modern dub, but I think it has some elements of it with modern sounds and equipment. See what you make of it Phil. 

20 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

Yeah that tune has fantastic horns and brass and the dub is real. 

Think King Tubby has a hand in that tune as it's from African Brothers meet King Tubby in dub. 

Lee Scratch is legendary as well, but your right him and King Tubby were the first 2 that I know of. Almost like the Godfathers of dub. 

It just hits a different way, I love it when the bass gets a bit wobbly as well. I also respect the fact that the dub pays homage to the original and doesn't destroy the roots. 

Dub nights sound superb, sadly nothing like that way up here in the Highlands of Scotland. 

A bit off topic, but Rusko the producer an early pioneer in dubstep is more modern and electronic in the 2000's. This tune here absolutely slaps. It's more modern dub, but I think it has some elements of it with modern sounds and equipment. See what you make of it Phil. 

Yeah, living in London has the benefit of access to all sorts of music 🙂

20 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

You know what, I saw this and thought, "nah that will be shite" but I take it back. It helps he's using a classic rhythm but yeah I like that a lot 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg