So I opened up my Dualshock 4...

Madjonny

So my Dualshock 4s have both been playing up recently so I decided to have a look inside and see if I can fix the sticking buttons and just look at how hard or easy it would be to replace the sticks...

As soon as I opened it I saw this...

5647d3f86e5f5f9b617bdb22c1b65fc6_zpsb4b4

Now that white tape looking stuff has connectors on both ends, so I'm assuming there's wires in there, and just look how creased and screwed up it is. It connects the main motherboard and a smaller one, the smaller one seems to be connected to the light bar and the USB charging port. My remotes both have problems charging, sometimes they just don't charge and I was wondering would the state of this connector be affecting the charging?

I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be in such a state...

blackops2sig.jpg

Not sure in all honesty Jonny but you've definitely blown any warranty by opening it up ;)

In regards to the charging; it could be an issue with the cable as opposed to the controller. The buttons sticking seems pretty common though, although I haven't experienced it.....yet because most of the games I have aren't too demanding but it doesn't bode well for long-term usage. 

The sticks; well, they're just a bit shit :lol:

It all fits back together as if I never opened it up, nobody would ever know... But I don't have he box anymore anyway so I couldn't send it back anywhere...

Iv ordered some new sticks and I'm just looking for some triggers now, hopefully I can fix it all back up for around £8... I don't want to get a new one yet as I want a SCUF at some point...

Just out of curiosity, would I have been entitled to take it back to a shop if I had the box?

blackops2sig.jpg

Just out of curiosity, would I have been entitled to take it back to a shop if I had the box?

It depends on the warranty from the retailer and if you bought damage cover. It's pretty BS but I bet lots of controllers get broken by players going into rage mode.

Alternatively, you can send the controller back to Sony for an internal assessment and they will decide if it is faulty but it's conditional that you don't investigate or attempt to fix the issue yourself aka opening it up ;)  

So I replaced the R2 trigger, it's now good as new. Replaced the right analog so that the kontrol freek sits tighter on there again. Replaced the left analog stick with an Xbox one analog stick...

0169b343782d26d090b83f93800f6246_zps9763

The Xbox one stick is taller which is why I got it, it's taller than standard but not as tall as standard with kontrol freek:

3303094a51607ab8785424029a76b797_zps8d98

This is how it is with kontrol freek:

2b3f16bdc63e3aa1a42ed7cc9703adb5_zpsc836

Not played with it yet, literally just done it. It seems very comfortable by just holding it... Hoping I get less aches on my left thumb from now on...

blackops2sig.jpg

Thanks! Tbf if I can do it it can't be that difficult!

They have the exact same clip/connection on the rear of the stick...

29b3dc053ea5880c39526c596b897c5a_zps28c7

Can't tell from the picture so much, but there is a stalk that just clips into the centre of the thumbstick...

blackops2sig.jpg