• Riff Machine
    Riff Machine

Origins Game Fair 2022

This past week, @Rumelylady and Myself were in Columbus Ohio for Origins Game Fair 2022, working with Six Sides of Gaming to provide the A/V feed as well as streaming from the main hall of the con.  It was both our first time in Columbus and I really liked the city as a whole.  Great people and some amazing food in and around the convention centre/downtown core.  

The con itself was shrouded in some controversy thanks in no small part to two of the "Special Guests" having they're true colors revealed to the TTRPG community by a large amount of people sharing their experiences with these two, and just how horrible, disrespectful, and unprofessional they've both been when working with them in the past.  Needless to say, It was a topic of discussion for a lot of people on the show floor as most were trying to distance themselves from them.  Both people in question were removed from all appearances they were scheduled to make and replaced rather quickly by some other more professional people in the industry.

Aside from that, The turn out suffered as well thanks to a mask mandate being in place for the convention.  A lot of people that were going to attend cancelled due to the back and forth by the con with regards to this.  Shame really, as they missed a pretty good show.

Our job went off without a hitch.  Audio/Video quality for the sow was top notch and we were praised for our work we put into it.  Our streaming however was fairly lacklustre due to one member of the company failing to obtain people for most of our convention programming.  Attendance was mediocre, but that was the case for most of the convention as a whole.  A lot of demo room, panels, performances, and even the costume contest (Which had some amazing outfits) all had a poor showing but fun was had none the less.

To get into everything from the floor here would take a lot, so I'll choose a couple things that we bought that really caught our eyes.  First was a board game called Wonder Book by DV Games 

WB-WEBSITE-ANTEPRIMA-01.png
    WWW.WONDERBOOK-BOARDGAME.COM

This one caught our eyes right away thanks to the creative way they've implemented the game board.  It opens up like a book, but as you progress through the chapters of the game, It turns into a big pop up book with movable tabs!  It's truly something you have to see up close to appreciate, and we were happy to buy this from them.

The other was various sets of dice and cards by a group called Inkwell Ideas https://inkwellideas.com/

They had an assortments of dice and cards that created dungeon maps, terrain, and NPCs for random TTRPG adventures that really blew us away.  There's so many options you could end up with using these products and it really expands what can be done with a random generated TTRPG adventure setting using say 5E rules.  We spend a lot of money here.  Excellent products that I would recommend to any TTRPG game master looking to add a few things to their bag of tricks.

It was a fun week, but also the last we will have working with Six Sides of Gaming.  A lot of issues have caused Sarah, Myself and our Friend Adrian to step away, BUT... We have already begun the work to start our next endeavour based around our podcast called Dice to Pixels.  We will be starting this up within the next few weeks and we fully intend to fire up some TTRPG streams and some boardgames play-through and walkthroughs as well.

All in all, Origins was good especially thanks to some of the people we had the chance to hang out with and enjoy together.  Columbus was a nice city that I would 100% return to and who knows, Maybe we will be back next year to do the same thing.  Only with our new group.

Cheers Folks!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments