SHOULD NOT BE REMADE!

This was thought of thanks to the 22 Jump Street thread here.

My first opinions are that I thought the original 21 Jump Street series was brilliant, my friend's brother had some on VHS xD I also really really enjoyed the film adaption just recently. I stand firm to my beliefs though that remakes shouldn't happen. Yes we get the dinger every now and then but we also get shit loads of shit films that are just shit. I hate that shit.

I wasn't alive when the originals to most of these films first premiered but I still saw them first as a child. Classics should not be remade. I hear they're doing a new (Monty Python's) Life of Brian. Why? It's such a good film. It makes me laugh so hard to this day and they're going to butcher it?

Robocop? Yeah it looks good on the action front but they're killing the story.

I rambled on a bit but what are your theories? Should classics get remade?

PS. Superhero films are a different thread. They are new starts to different comics (I think) I agree to these but not if they're too recent. Spiderman and Batman (to an extent) spring to mind.

8mSoOel.png

I totally agree Cal. The majority of remakes usually fail pretty badly because they are taking something that people saw earlier in their lives and enjoyed and they are redoing it which takes away from the enjoyment for a couple reasons.

1- If you enjoyed it as a kid or earlier in life then even if you say you wont compare it to the original, you know damn well that you can't help but to do so, and originals are almost always the best because it is brand new to you.

2- There are just flat out certain movies that SHOULD NOT BE FUCKED WITH.

Couple that come to mind that should not be / shouldn't have been messed with.... Star Wars, Rocky, ET, Red Dawn, Robo Cop, Mad Max, The Goonies, Karate Kid, Top Gun, Predator, Footlose, Rambo, Terminator, Gone with the wind, Casablanca, Taxi driver, Scarface, Platoon... Those are movies that were big in the day and to anyone that grew up during that time they are classic you just don't fuck with.

I think Hollywood needs to stop taking what they view as the easy way out (remakes) and do what they should be doing and come up with new movie ideas rather than use the script from an existing movie and just switch it up a bit to try to cash in on an easy dollar.

100-percent agree with you there on remakes., Cal.

If I wanted my nostalgia gland vigorously masturbated, then I'd just watch the original, not this prettied-up cash-cow.

Total Recall, RoboCop, and now Point Break!

It seems like Hollywood just got a list of my fave movies and decided to take a massive buffalo diarrhea sh*t all over it.

The remakes are for the sole intent of milking money out of a franchise and covered up with pretty effects and more action.

Like RoboCop, for example: There was ONE gunfight (and holy sh*t, what a gun fight it was). In this blasphemous new one, there are several PLUS ninja robots. They also have this stupid social commentary about the drones in Afghanistan and made it so Alex Murphy has his humanity right out of the gate instead of gaining it through scattered memories (AND THAT STUPID HUMAN HAND! AGH! The original RoboCop was a robot with a thin layer of face stretched over the top, why is his hand human?! ). They're totally doing this movie a disservice, I hope it tanks.

DM9ON.png

Well....I do like Gerald Butler a lot, IF someone is gonna play Swayze's role he would be a good choice....but still, no, just NO. Have they said who would play Reeves role?

This guy, from the Hunger Games movies apparently:

1342614193_sam-clafin-lg.jpg

DM9ON.png

@ Dattebayo

Wonder if they left his hand as a nod to the original.

Remember when they first booted him up they were talking about being able to save the arm? Then Bob said to lose it.

So maybe they did it to be clever.

I'm sure it'll still suck though. Lol

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

Guest Inception.

I totally agree Cal. The majority of remakes usually fail pretty badly because they are taking something that people saw earlier in their lives and enjoyed and they are redoing it which takes away from the enjoyment for a couple reasons.

1- If you enjoyed it as a kid or earlier in life then even if you say you wont compare it to the original, you know damn well that you can't help but to do so, and originals are almost always the best because it is brand new to you.

2- There are just flat out certain movies that SHOULD NOT BE FUCKED WITH.

Couple that come to mind that should not be / shouldn't have been messed with.... Star Wars, Rocky, ET, Red Dawn, Robo Cop, Mad Max, The Goonies, Karate Kid, Top Gun, Predator, Footlose, Rambo, Terminator, Gone with the wind, Casablanca, Taxi driver, Scarface, Platoon... Those are movies that were big in the day and to anyone that grew up during that time they are classic you just don't fuck with.

I think Hollywood needs to stop taking what they view as the easy way out (remakes) and do what they should be doing and come up with new movie ideas rather than use the script from an existing movie and just switch it up a bit to try to cash in on an easy dollar.

There's a new Mad Max movie coming out, for those who don't know. It'll never be as good as Mel Gibson, however Tom Hardy is playing Max so I have faith in it.

But NEVER EVER EVER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVEEEERRR touch Top Gun.

See I'm gonna show I am out of the loop....they redid the Thing???

Yup :(

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/?ref_=nv_sr_2

It got a 6.3 rating on imdb, compared to the original which got 8.2.

Also it's not a classic.....yet, but Let The Right One In! This was remade 2 years after the original!!!

I don't like modern films very much nowadays. Too much reliance on special effects and A-list actors with no skill or personalities. Remakes make me cringe at the thought of destroying the classic. 

I also hate franchise reboots such as Indiana Jones whereby you had a near-perfect trilogy and then a fucking dreadful and shameful fourth installment with an ageing actor and the most mind-numbing tedious story ever. Certainly made a fair few $$$$$ and there's talk about a fifth film but for every new one; they are killing the films and the name as a whole. 

Fucking Hollywood!

Firstly I agree only because remakes/prequels/reboots/whatever are hardly a substitute for the originals. In my mind they hold no actual value other than selling merch. I've griped about it and the lack of new material vs cramming old ideas with a new angle down our throats in the past. Not a fan; there are exceptions but very few.

The Thing!

Lost my faith in the world :(

Fans have been waiting for a new The Thing movie for ages. There are many scripts and conceptional work from companies that have been ignored. A prequel of a remake was never called for. No one cares what happened at the Norwegian camp. It is touched on perfectly in JC's adaptation. I'm more interested if MacReady or Child's are a thing, if they froze, how it would have spread from there, on and on. On top of that the CGI vs the "originals" practical effects is terrible. It definitely did go backwards in every way.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Another movie that sucks ass is "Quarantine", the remake of the horror masterpiece (IMO) "REC". God, it supposed to be a shot-for-shot remake but everything from the actors to the artificial lighting sucks the life out of this movie.

Yup :(

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/?ref_=nv_sr_2

It got a 6.3 rating on imdb, compared to the original which got 8.2.

Also it's not a classic.....yet, but Let The Right One In! This was remade 2 years after the original!!!

Love that movie, the remake was sh*t-tacos.

Fans have been waiting for a new The Thing movie for ages. There are many scripts and conceptional work from companies that have been ignored. A prequel of a remake was never called for. No one cares what happened at the Norwegian camp. It is touched on perfectly in JC's adaptation. I'm more interested if MacReady or Child's are a thing, if they froze, how it would have spread from there, on and on. On top of that the CGI vs the "originals" practical effects is terrible. It definitely did go backwards in every way.

If you played the terrible, terrible game that certainly was not canon (according to John Carpenter himself), you find CHilds fozen to death and a set of footprints walking out towards the storm.

Later, McReady comes in on a helicopter and flies you around for the final boss fight.

As I said...terrible and not canon. xD 

And also, how the hell did the special effects look worse in 2011 compared to ones they did in the freakin' 80's? :s

DM9ON.png

If you played the terrible, terrible game that certainly was not canon (according to John Carpenter himself), you find CHilds fozen to death and a set of footprints walking out towards the storm.

Later, McReady comes in on a helicopter and flies you around for the final boss fight.

As I said...terrible and not canon. xD 

And also, how the hell did the special effects look worse in 2011 compared to ones they did in the freakin' 80's? :s

I think I remember that :lol: I haven't played it in a long while. I should install it...

The CGI tricks used are inferior to the OG solutions IMO. Tricks like making things blurry, grainy, using quick camera cuts so you never get a focused look at the CGI, etc. When your confronted with the old monsters they are believable. The new ones its like meh run from the guy in the green suit holding a thing arm on a stick. Terrifying! :lol: I do like the new one it's just lacks the craftsmanship and believability of the classic.

EG:

217628_5050343889_4807_n.jpg

vs

374930_10150437362103890_973136401_n.jpg

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

I think I remember that :lol: I haven't played it in a long while. I should install it...

The CGI tricks used are inferior to the OG solutions IMO. Tricks like making things blurry, grainy, using quick camera cuts so you never get a focused look at the CGI, etc. When your confronted with the old monsters they are believable. The new ones its like meh run from the guy in the green suit holding a thing arm on a stick. Terrifying! :lol: I do like the new one it's just lacks the craftsmanship and believability of the classic.

EG:

217628_5050343889_4807_n.jpg

vs

374930_10150437362103890_973136401_n.jpg

*nostalgic sigh*

Not to mention that the Thing was an actual presence in the 80's version.

A puppet, yes, but a physical presence nonetheless.

Nowadays, people have to pretend that something is actually there.

Also, movie makers use CGI for EVERYTHING nowadays. It's like they use CGI to get away with laziness. "We need an alien? F*ck the make-up, send some sketches over to the boys at SFX. Backdrop? Pfft, CGI!"

Sad.

That being said...

It was pretty cool seeing some of the things implied in the 80's version of The Thing seen in the 2011.

EDIT: "Hey, f*ck YOU, Plamer!"

DM9ON.png

I really hope they don't do A Clockwork Orange re-make.

GOD no.

No director with a reputation and with half a brain would go near that movie.

Even mentioning it to a production company is career suicide.

For, to say it was controversial, would be an understatement. x)

DM9ON.png