bf4 tips/help

techno

I've used the Prompt, I just wasn't sure what comes up. I'm assuming if I'm running Support and someone requests then they show on the minimap with three bullets above their heads?

I try to drop one when I spawn but I tend to forget, so used to being selfish in COD :).

Further to what's already been said, engineer class is by far the most fun for me, followed by recon. Here are a few tips. Apologies if some of this has been mentioned, I haven't read through everything.

Engineer:

Tank mines and the anti air launcher. MX4 or whatever it's called. Stick to close range, that default gun is a monster. Tank mines in choke points, and shoot anything that flies (choppers preferred). Be warned of scout choppers with repairbitches, you won't be able to get them down yourself. If a chopper has repairbitches in it and you get a hit on it, it'll be back at 100% health before you can blink. Unless you co-ordinate a proper attack with some others, forget abot them and ignore them. They're a known pain in the ass and it a constant point of contention on the BF4 forums as they're frustrating as fuck to deal with.

The launchers come ina a few different flavours. The first one has a small bit of lock on, but this is more of a guide than an actual lock. Great against ground vehicles, forget about trying to hit anything that flies with them. The next two launchers are much more powerful, each has a bit of a different perk though. They both only fire at flying targets unless a recon has a lock on a tank or whatever. The first will lock on, you fire, and that's that. It has a lock on range of 300m. The second one you have to maintain lock. So lock on, fire, and stay locked on until you hit, or the missile will stray off. The advantage of this one is either 50 or 100 mtrs more range, can't remember. I prefer the fire & forget one as I prefer not to stand in the heat of battle like a tit whilst I nurse a rocket to a chopper. Vehicles have ridiculously long flare reload times now, I think it's 15 seconds or something stupid like that. Use this to your advantage. Even if you don't have ammo as an engineer, forcing vehicles to pop their flares helps your team out, as someone else can lock on and pop their rockets.

I can't remember the name of the rocket launchers, I'm sure someone will add them.

I never really bother with repairing as an engineer unless working with someone. Odds are you'll start repairing a tank or whatever and the driver will bugger off halfway through, or if your'e repairing your own tank, it's not uncommon to have some prat jump in it and nick it. I prefer to play in a way that makes me as effective as I can be whilst being solo. Relying on team mates in this game will make you want to claw your eyeballs out.

Recon:

Recon is also great fun. Make sure you spot everything that you see, and also lock on using the zoomynightvisiony thing. Even if you're on a team that is all over the place, lock on a few times and see if any rockets appear. If they do, you know you've got an engineer somewhere on the team who's willing to fire at locks so keep locking. If not, then forget about it. I personally don't bother centering my scope. I am fairly good at adjusting for bullet drop, especially at medium ranges. A bit of practice here. I find zeroing my scope a fiddly process which leaves me vulnerable to attack whilst I'm sorting it all out, and I have to keep adjusting for encounters at different distances. I just aim a bit above their head an shoot. With enough practice, you will get better at this. One line of sight I will share which is simply awesome is on Flood Zone. Odds are you've always got those idiots who sit on the roof tops and try snipe people. If you hold down D (the petrol station) then you can face the buildings from the station and hide fairly well. Nothing beats shooting those dumbasses off those buildings and watching their corpses fall 50 floors to the ground. NEVER CAMP ON ROOFTOPS / CRANES / SATELLITES / WHATEVER. Seriously. This is one thing I have never understood with these people. They're either extremely hopeful or just plain fucking stupid because every match they end up there as if to say "AMAGAD LOOK GUISE I FINDED THIS OSSUM PLACE WHERE WE CN SHOOT PPL LOL". Yeah, and the whole fucking battlefield can shoot you too, dumbass. You're not the first person to go up there, you're not discovering anything new, you're just being an idiot and your KDR usually reflects this. Personally, I get a huge kick out of shooting them. More often than not, you can set your watch to them being up there. Time and time again. The rage I've gotten from shooting the same people off the same spot over and over again is bliss.

Of course recon now have C4 too. giggle giggle. This is great fun. Most tank drivers are aware of this though so you need to be extra careful when trying to blow them up. My approach is to take them out when they're pre-occupied with something else. If a tank is busy shooting at something, odds are he's in first person mode and focussed on whatever it is he's shooting at. This is when you strike. Also, NEVER shoot anything that's not silenced when near a tank as odds are they'll notice you and kill you, or at least move away so you can't C4 them. Basically, if you want to C4 a tank, you need to put on your stealth hat and only strike when he appears to be preoccupied with something else. It's risky but oh so fun.

I'll leave it at that for now, will return later.

banlol.png

Oh and one more thing, stay the fuck away from TDM if you're still new. It's a fuckup at the best of times, made considerably worse if you don't know the maps. Also, avoid 64 player servers until you're comfy with the maps. 32 is more than enough onthese maps to still provide decent action without being blown apart after taking ten steps. The smaller the server, the longer you'll survive, the faster you'll get to know the maps.

banlol.png

So having purchased this so that I could game with all the cool kids, I'm still very skeptical of this game. There is so much going on before you enter a game, with no instruction whatsoever. Thank god for Chris and Euan, otherwise I would have had no clue. With that being said, I still don't know what more than half the things I can do in this game.

My first impression, I think it's utter bullshit that you can't start off in a team together. That's the reason I bought the game, was to team up, not to get into the same lobby and then get put on to the other team.

TTK is sooooo long. I can't tell you the number of times I was shooting at someone and hitting them, only to have them fire back after and kill me right away. To me, this is no better than COD.

The spawns are god awful. Granted I only played TDM so far (as that was what others were playing), I spawned many times only to get shot in the back immediately.

People complain about campers on COD, I got new for you, they're on BF4 as well. Lots of corners, laying down, not moving. Retarded.

I have loved the few maps that I have played on. Flood Zone isn't even that bad, as I like to flank and most of these morons snipe on that map, so it was pretty easy to get behind them. I have played roughly 6-8 games and I have had Flood Zone come up 3 times and Some other map come up 3 times. Sucks that there isn't an option.

I also like that fact that almost everything can be destroyed. Makes it pretty interesting that you can camp in that little hut, my grenade launcher will blow that shit up!!

All being said, I don't think I have given this enough of a go but first impressions haven't been that good. Does anyone know if there is a private match mode where we could get a group in together so that we can try to figure out all the buttons, equipment, etc, without having people kill you? I would like to have some things explained to me while I'm actually in a game.

Finally glad to see your reply kyle, this game has had me rage so hard today I left for a while, I really want to like it otherwise it would have been boxed already but its just not fun and I haven't even had to deal with vehicles yet, I'm thinking its just not for me, I have a feeling when other games start battling for my time thus won't get a look in.

I have to agree with kyle and I know some people have mentioned it before but ttk sucks, I fire they turn and kill me thats bullshit, you can't compete with people that have ranked up weapons, I get the drop on them which surely is the main thing but can't kill them All I do is alert them.

I've used the Prompt, I just wasn't sure what comes up. I'm assuming if I'm running Support and someone requests then they show on the minimap with three bullets above their heads?

I try to drop one when I spawn but I tend to forget, so used to being selfish in COD :)

I never know if I have asked for anything either - I hold R2 toggle to the prompt and then what - do I need to press anything else to say I need a ride, or ammo, or health?

Also when i'm driving a vehicle and someone asks for a ride how do i know here they are? do they show on the mini map? does everyone driving a vehicle hear the prompt or just the closest person. Some guy kept shouting for a ride and he must have thought i was right scrub as i had no idea what to do.

If the ttk is an issue try Hardcore :) I usually only play HC this being one of the reasons. The other major one, is that you're not running around with a giant dorito above your head saying shoot me biatches!

TDM is not really what Battlefield is about, but is ok if your playing lone wolf or wanting level up weapons quick. You can dominate as a team, but with the fact that you can't squad up pre game you'll have to enter a game with a low player count and have people join you. Once you're in though, that should be the way it stays assuming you continue with the same game mode.

With most people now having it for the PS4 and me still being on PS3 this is an option as readily as it perhaps should be, although I've had some matches squading up with Ryan.

It's one of those games you'll either love or loathe. I haven't even bought Ghosts and in all honesty won't either. I'd sooner stick with this game or even Killzone when I finally get a PS4, plus there'll be Star Wars Battlefont at some stage in the future :)

I gave hardcore a go real lack of servers, I'm done with it I thought I'd give it a go on ps4 but like bf3 before it I really have no clue, its going to be traded as soon as I come up with something I fancy, if someone on here wants a copy pm me.

All being said, I don't think I have given this enough of a go but first impressions haven't been that good. Does anyone know if there is a private match mode where we could get a group in together so that we can try to figure out all the buttons, equipment, etc, without having people kill you? I would like to have some things explained to me while I'm actually in a game.

test range and invite people i think

you rarely find people "camping" as you do in cod. if they arent moving, its likely because they are locking down a strategic point.

this is towards no one in particular in anyway. to start to get to grips,you really have to stop thinking with your cod head on. you cannot rush in a get a triple kill on a group of people. its much, much more strategic at the best of times,

it is often better to pause, look around, use the spot function, use the mini map, see where people are headed, and then make your move. use cover, stick to side paths, dont run in the open, hug walls, etc.dont flounder around too long tho, as its likely you'll get spotted and someone will sneak up on you

it is a massive, massive learning curve, but if you have the patience to stick with it, then it will just click. the great thing is, you can still rack up the points to level up whilst being negative. ive seen people 0-12 with 6000 points on an domination game just from revives, ammo, flag caps, etc

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

never use quick match, always go into server browser and select what you want and put region as europe.

its not perfect tho. the server browser should show hundreds of avaliable games for any particular game mode. i am lucky to get more than 5 show up. i have been playing a bit tonight, but i am lagging/rubber banding BLOPS2 style, so turned it off. i got the drop on one guy and put half a clip into his chest yet he kills me and is on 47 health. i respawn and hes coming up some stairs and kills me again. i respawn and immediately get shot in the back.

turned it off. its by far from perfect sometimes. atleast objective modes have some proper spawning. if you have a retard team for domination that cant hold a fucking flag to save thier lives, then you just randomly get spawned around the map and thats when you end up with the bullshit 5 deaths in a row that you can do nothing about.

i dont know why the connections have become fucked for me all of a sudden. i had no problems when i was joining ryan in games, so i think ill just join other people and see if that helps

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

Battle packs, noticed someone said they hold certain things for certain weapons, I assume these are just unlocked for you I've earned a few and I unlocked the sar used it one game and the cobra sight was unlocked, woukd this have been in a battlepack?

if you're using the ACE23 the stock supressor that you should unlock after 160 kills is glitched and wont unlock. you need about 480 kills or around that, to get a later battlepack to get one of the other supressors. then, the other supressors dont appear, but you can now equip the original one you should have gotten about 320 kills earlier !

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

You do get attachments from battlepacks as well as from unlocking.

I have personally gotten the Cobra, prisma, grips, lasers and JGM from the battle packs.

You get the packs by being a premium member, having pre-odered, leveling a level 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14 (and so on).

You get weapons packs by getting a certain number of kills with a specific weapon (210 first and then every 50 kills)

Some attachments are only available in the battlepacks

Battlelog list all this information in you unlock progression and actually pretty good. It's worth signing up for it.

It should be totally random what you get, that being said, certain attachments and paint schemes can only be unlocked in the battle packs.

However ALL can be unlocked with battlepacks, its weird but cool

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

chopper gunner tips, often overlooked is the first tip.

drives me mad when i am trying to approach a target without being spotted, and the chopper gunner spawns in and is like "OMGZ CHPPR GUNNAZZZZ!!! "  and just wildly starts firing at the sky, the floor, tries to shoot someone from one side of the map to the other. not only does he give away your position, he also wastes ammo which takes a while to replenish

which is another tip that some people might not have realised. in bf3 ammo was unlimited in vehicles. in bf4, it is technically unlimited, but you have a "reserve" which fills back up very slowly. for example, a tank or a chopper might have one round/set of rockets in the chamber, and 5 in "reserve". once the 5 have gone, they will fill back up much more slowly. this is pretty important in tanks, where tit for tat shelling can mean you are dead if you have already used 3 shells to try and snipe a recon , and only have 3 shells left to use immedialty before you have to wait for a long reload/replenish

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said: