Time Trials Season 2 - GT Sport and Assetto Corsa

Welcome one, welcome all,

Speaking with Phil the other day about AC I suggested running an AC time trial and Lee said he was thinking about reviving the GT Sport time trial.  So in the immortal words; why not both!

I'm thinking a similar format to how I did the GT Sport time trial before - a week running Monday - Sunday, I use a randomiser to select a car class and a track and fastest time wins.  There will have to be a few differences with AC, as AC doesn't have Balance of Power that GT Sport does.  So GT can be done by class and any car of that class can be used where AC will be specific cars.  I can't see why AC on PC and PS4 would be different and as George should soon have my copy of AC, opens it up for him or anyone else to join in too.

So, specifics - I'm thinking for each round

GT Sport:

1 Track

1 Car class - open to any car of that class.

Balance of Power (or BoP for short) enabled

Everything else free to do what you want - set up, tyres etc.

Assetto Corsa

1 Tracks

2 cars - Can't run classes really in AC unfortunately so will have to be specific cars.  I'm thinking 2 cars as opens up for one car to be a challenge and the other to be a little easier to drive.

As with GT Sport, everything else - set up, tyres etc. to do with as you want.

I'm thinking round 1 to start on Monday 22 June but posting now to get peoples ideas if they want changes to above made or have something specific in mind?

@phil bottle @GazzaGarratt @G_dub52 and anyone else that wants to join in. 

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

2 hours ago, Greboth said:

Welcome one, welcome all,

Speaking with Phil the other day about AC I suggested running an AC time trial and Lee said he was thinking about reviving the GT Sport time trial.  So in the immortal words; why not both!

I'm thinking a similar format to how I did the GT Sport time trial before - a week running Monday - Sunday, I use a randomiser to select a car class and a track and fastest time wins.  There will have to be a few differences with AC, as AC doesn't have Balance of Power that GT Sport does.  So GT can be done by class and any car of that class can be used where AC will be specific cars.  I can't see why AC on PC and PS4 would be different and as George should soon have my copy of AC, opens it up for him or anyone else to join in too.

So, specifics - I'm thinking for each round

GT Sport:

1 Track

1 Car class - open to any car of that class.

Balance of Power (or BoP for short) enabled

Everything else free to do what you want - set up, tyres etc.

Assetto Corsa

1 Tracks

2 cars - Can't run classes really in AC unfortunately so will have to be specific cars.  I'm thinking 2 cars as opens up for one car to be a challenge and the other to be a little easier to drive.

As with GT Sport, everything else - set up, tyres etc. to do with as you want.

I'm thinking round 1 to start on Monday 22 June but posting now to get peoples ideas if they want changes to above made or have something specific in mind?

@phil bottle @GazzaGarratt @G_dub52 and anyone else that wants to join in. 

Count me in! Great idea 🙂

Twitch :  gdub_5252 follow to help me on my road to 50 followers 🙂

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

I have all the Assetto dlc but not added any mods yet. Will probably add the Sol mod and a couple of others. What are you using@Greboth ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sol and custom shader mod are ones I think everyone should have.  Content manager is worth getting too as it makes mods far easier to deal with.

Crew chief and /or car radar are pretty good  ones too as they help fix the problem of knowing where cars are around you.

Outside that whatever cars and tracks you want.  By this point, I have waaaaay to many to list.  This is a pretty good run down of cars to get started;

He’s done a track one too but that was a few years ago so there will be newer tracks not listed so I haven’t linked that video.

The other option, is go to race department and list car/track/whatever  by popularity and download them all.

Do you just want to do time trials or we could do a little versus matchups that change each week? I was thinking of enabling the tournaments section on here and we could test it out with this e.g. Week 1 - Greebs vs Phil, Lee vs George, etc.

Could be a little running series we have and show it all off in a mini league format? Just some thoughts to make it interesting and possibly open it up to others that might enjoy that type of format too.

(Plus this way we get to win some weeks rather than Greebs buttfuck us from Not London all the way to London).

I also need to buy AC.

@GazzaGarratt We could do that on gt sport if Gdubs has it also?

AC  we would need to stick to a time trial as we’re split across pc and ps4.  Also, I think, AC servers are proper servers unlike GT that you can host on your ps4.

Though I don’t know about me kicking your asses.  Philly got close to beating me in a few rounds before so wouldn’t put it past him winning some this time around.

8 minutes ago, Greboth said:

@GazzaGarratt We could do that on gt sport if Gdubs has it also?

AC  we would need to stick to a time trial as we’re split across pc and ps4.  Also, I think, AC servers are proper servers unlike GT that you can host on your ps4.

Though I don’t know about me kicking your asses.  Philly got close to beating me in a few rounds before so wouldn’t put it past him winning some this time around.

Sorry, I should've stated that it can still be done on time trials. Just the 2 people are up against each other on based on their fastest times. That way it's not just about being the fastest, just beating the other person's time trial time.

Oh I got ya now, Makes sense to almost always split Me v Phil and You v George as then its wheel v wheel and pad v pad players.

It’s all for fun though so happy to chuck our names in the randomiser too for each round.

Think there's too few of us to be splitting it. If a few more folk got on it that would be cool but I'm easy.

I use the PS4 controller for GT Sport but I use the driving wheel for AC and I'm up for whatever gets ppl interested :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I want to do this, but there's just not enough meat on these games' bones to warrant the cash. I loved the older GT games, GT3 in particular owes me half my teen years. I'm really hoping that GT7 goes back to those roots with such an awesome campaign, I'll be all over it like a rash, and can then come and make you guys look good on the lap times 😄 

PS has anyone else noticed that the grin smiley is half face, half forehead? Was it modeled on @Chookes ? @GazzaGarratt can you look in to this pls. 

banlol.png

54 minutes ago, Diddums said:

I want to do this, but there's just not enough meat on these games' bones to warrant the cash. I loved the older GT games, GT3 in particular owes me half my teen years. I'm really hoping that GT7 goes back to those roots with such an awesome campaign, I'll be all over it like a rash, and can then come and make you guys look good on the lap times 😄 

PS has anyone else noticed that the grin smiley is half face, half forehead? Was it modeled on @Chookes ? @GazzaGarratt can you look in to this pls. 

I get what you mean about parting money on these, especially if GT7 is quite close. However, looks like GT Sport is £12 and AC is £20 so both are even cheaper together than AAA game right now. 12 for GT Sport is a ridiculous bargain.

Oh, and clearly Euan's managed to keep himself around the place in other ways then! 😂

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Think there's too few of us to be splitting it. If a few more folk got on it that would be cool but I'm easy.

Yeah that's my only concern and it was only a little idea to see if a little tourney wouldve worked this way. If we get more people over time we can always think about it again. 👍

I tried GT Sport last night and it was weird!  The cars feedback and handling is so different between GT and AC.  So strangely, I think I might have to put more time in to GT to get a decent lap time than AC.

Stiil, I've run the randomiser for this week so;

ROUND 1

GT Sport

Car Class: Gr3

Circuit: Spa Fracochamps

Assetto Corsa

Car 1: BMW M4 Coupe

Car 2: Lamborghini Huracan GT3

Circuit: Imola

@G_dub52 I found a list of cars in AC on the internet but I don't know how accurate it is.  So if I ever post a car/track you don't have, let me know and I'll update the combo.  @phil bottle @GazzaGarratt Tagging you in just so you don't miss the combo 🙂

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

What tyres in GT? Hard?

I was happy to leave that as a free choice as it is with AC cars too.  So that basically means racing super softs really in GT and whatever the softest are for the AC car.

I quickly did 5 laps of each to set a benchmark.

GT Sport: 2:18.472 (Using the GTR, Racing Super Soft Tyres)

Assetto Corsa:

M4 - 2:06.740 (Semi slick tyres, pressures dropped to 21psi, fuel dropped to 3 laps worth)

Lambo - 1:47.141 (I forgot to record the set up for this but softest tyres available, 3 laps of fuel, final gear ratio shorted a couple clicks - top speed was limited to 287 or something like that)

My laps on all were pretty clean but especially in AC I think there's much more time available so that's where I'll be focusing but that's for another night.

In GT Sport I have done a 2.18 in the McLaren -BMW but that was done a while ago. Tonight I just had time for two laps and tried the Beetle. Best was 2:19.860 and neither lap was smooth as I'm very rusty on it. Classic circuit and it's a very busy track!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Nice one Phil, I don’t think it would take much to get in to the 2:18’s again.

The McLaren could be a good shout.  I don’t think I’ve done a sport race at Spa so don’t know the best BoP car to use.  I guessed the GTR as it’s almost the fastest in a straight line and pretty good through corners too.  Though I think the McLaren is still the fastest in a straight line.

I saw a chap on Steam I know playing Assetto recently, he plays it using VR, so I've told him of this.

We're going to share a server, not exactly sure how that works, and do some Lambo laps tonight if you fancy @Greboth

Also, @GazzaGarratt I tried to invite him to FG Discord but he said he got an invalid message, do I need any special privilege to do that? Thought i could do it lol

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Yeah man, sounds good.  Got some family stuff (bday meal) tonight but should be free afterwards.  What time are you thinking?
Not sure but likely after 9pm. I'll send you a message tonight!

In GT Sport, I've done a 2:28.850 in the GT-R. I'm using traction control at 2, so may have to switch that to 0 if I want to improve, will see!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Sounds good mate, I should be free by that time.

Do you mean a 2:18 for the GTR?  I was going to focus on AC but might have to spend some more time in GT to improve my lap a bit.  I don’t want to be beaten in round 1 [emoji38]
lol yeah 2.18 [emoji28]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I've tried to do this the last two mornings but its been update central for the game haha. I will get some times down tomorrow morning and update.

Hopefully I will get somewhere in a respectable time frame being as I still have not yet played this.

Twitch :  gdub_5252 follow to help me on my road to 50 followers 🙂

I've never raced at Imola before, never mind with a wheel..but I've managed 7 laps today in the Lambo and clocked 1.56 so far. As I get used to it I'm sure that time will reduce drastically.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg